Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

this is what's weird...i have a 500mb connection with virgin..bravia core generally says just under 80 mbps..but when i did a speed test on the tv itself, it says i'm only receiving just under 50 mbps anytime i do the test.
The TV may be using the 2.4Ghz band.

Create a 5Ghz only band from the VM router and make the TV use that.

Also, No matter what equipment an isp gives you for WiFi... it won't be anywhere nearly as good, in terms of signal strength, compared to a standalone WiFi Router or Access Points.

The combined isp router/modems are bad. Yes, even the VM ones.
To get much better WiFi coverage & signal power, I would suggest putting the VM router in modem mode and connecting a much better WiFi router to it via one of its eth ports.

The TV may be using the 2.4Ghz band.

Create a 5Ghz only band from the VM router and make the TV use that.

Also, No matter what equipment an isp gives you for WiFi... it won't be anywhere nearly as good, in terms of signal strength, compared to a standalone WiFi Router or Access Points.

The combined isp router/modems are bad. Yes, even the VM ones.
To get much better WiFi coverage & signal power, I would suggest putting the VM router in modem mode and connecting a much better WiFi router to it via one of its eth ports.
Yep I completely agree, make sure A) your using 5 Gz, and B) your using a GOOD WiFi router. Basically all routers your ISP give you are slow pile of trash. I have my own WiFi 6 router plugged into it which has A) excellent throughput and is futureproofed with WiFi 6 and excellent range. I can get a min of 100-150 MB anywhere in my home even if it is going through many walls.

WiFi 5 is more than good enough for Bravia Core. Even using the 2.4Ghz band you can still achieve between 450>600Mbps and on the 5Ghz band up to 1.3Gbps in ideal conditions.

Bravia Core requires nowhere near those speeds.

Personally mate, I wouldn't bother...
I'm on VM's M350 package and the TV gives me 270Mbps from my UniFi Access Points.
may have a chat offline about this!

I sorted the network port behind my TV and cabled it up. Get 5/600mb on it now. Bravia Core takes it's time jumping up the resolution/bandwidth. 1 or 2 mins but finally goes full beans. Just need to sort a switch now to connect the PS5

I sorted the network port behind my TV and cabled it up. Get 5/600mb on it now. Bravia Core takes it's time jumping up the resolution/bandwidth. 1 or 2 mins but finally goes full beans. Just need to sort a switch now to connect the PS5
i guess i might as well look at getting better wifi around the house as well as bravia core. if the wifi goes off, my daughter thinks, that the world is ending :)

i guess i might as well look at getting better wifi around the house as well as bravia core. if the wifi goes off, my daughter thinks, that the world is ending :)
Oh yeah don't get me wrong if I didn't already have that network port installed downstairs I would have looked at investing in the wifi but with it being a case of getting that £10 adapter and it was good to go it was an easy decision haha!

Wifi is strange, got two of the Virgin pods downstairs which has made the wifi rock solid, just not very fast in some cases. Can get 100-180mb+ on phones and iPads but the PS5 and TV were getting 30ish mb which is pathetic.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong if I didn't already have that network port installed downstairs I would have looked at investing in the wifi but with it being a case of getting that £10 adapter and it was good to go it was an easy decision haha!

Wifi is strange, got two of the Virgin pods downstairs which has made the wifi rock solid, just not very fast in some cases. Can get 100-180mb+ on phones and iPads but the PS5 and TV were getting 30ish mb which is pathetic.
Those Virgin pods are most likely broadcasting dual-band signal over one SSID. 2.4GHz/5Ghz

The problem with many client devices is that they take the strength of 'signal' over the better bandwidth when they decide to connect to the WiFi router or pods, thus many will opt to go for the 2.4Ghz side of the dual-band because it has a better longer range than the 5Ghz one, but unfortunately you now lose the better bandwidth that the 5GHz one provides.

Always split your bands into separate SSID's... i.e

SSID - MyHomeNetwork2Ghz (2.4GHz) -WPA2
SSID - MyHomeNetwork5Ghz (5Ghz) - WPA2

Then from the client devices that require the bandwidth for streaming (like the A90J/B-Core), force them to use only the 5Ghz assigned SSID. Then it won't ever decide to re-negotiate back to the 2.4Ghz channel, cause it doesn't have the option to on that dedicated SSID.

Those Virgin pods are most likely broadcasting dual-band signal over one SSID. 2.4GHz/5Ghz

The problem with many client devices is that they take the strength of 'signal' over the better bandwidth when they decide to connect to the WiFi router or pods, thus many will opt to go for the 2.4Ghz side of the dual-band because it has a better longer range than the 5Ghz one, but unfortunately you now lose the better bandwidth that the 5GHz one provides.

Always split your bands into separate SSID's... i.e

SSID - MyHomeNetwork2Ghz (2.4GHz) -WPA2
SSID - MyHomeNetwork5Ghz (5Ghz) - WPA2

Then from the client devices that require the bandwidth for streaming (like the A90J/B-Core), force them to use only the 5Ghz assigned SSID. Then it won't ever decide to re-negotiate back to the 2.4Ghz channel, cause it doesn't have the option to on that dedicated SSID.

Loving your work :D

With that in mind could I not just kill the 2.4ghz one or is that likely to cause issues?

Loving your work :D

With that in mind could I not just kill the 2.4ghz one or is that likely to cause issues?
You can, but if you have older devices within your home they may not like the 5Ghz band.
Guess you can try and find out... However, remember that 5Ghz signal is not the best at going through walls and over longer distances like the 2.4Ghz band is. This is one of the few reasons it has stuck around. Also, if you have SkyQ connected over WiFi.. that doesn't like 5Ghz either. 2.4 Ghz only. So proceed with caution where you have client devices a fair distance away from the router or pods.

You can, but if you have older devices within your home they may not like the 5Ghz band.
Guess you can try and find out... However, remember that 5Ghz signal is not the best at going through walls and over longer distances like the 2.4Ghz band is. This is one of the few reasons it has stuck around. Also, if you have SkyQ connected over WiFi.. that doesn't like 5Ghz either. 2.4 Ghz only. So proceed with caution where you have client devices a fair distance away from the router or pods.

May just give it a whirl, be interested to see what the PS5 does, was amazed how abysmal it was. Can just turn it back on if things go pear shaped can't I

May just give it a whirl, be interested to see what the PS5 does, was amazed how abysmal it was. Can just turn it back on if things go pear shaped can't I
For sure... On the SSID network there should be a radio button for each band so just disable the 2.4Ghz one and if things don't like it just turn it back on again and explore the other avenue of creating a new SSID with just the 5Ghz band assigned to it and get the PS5 & A90J to connect to that. So you have options available.

I would advise using a tool like 'InSSIDer' from a laptop to ensure that your new SSID on the 5Ghz band isn't utilizing the same or overlapping channels as the current one. You want to keep them apart if you can so they don't conflict, otherwise, you can experience dropouts.

For sure... On the SSID network there should be a radio button for each band so just disable the 2.4Ghz one and if things don't like it just turn it back on again and explore the other avenue of creating a new SSID with just the 5Ghz band assigned to it and get the PS5 & A90J to connect to that. So you have options available.

I would advise using a tool like 'InSSIDer' from a laptop to ensure that your new SSID on the 5Ghz band isn't utilizing the same or overlapping channels as the current one. You want to keep them apart if you can so they don't conflict, otherwise, you can experience dropouts.
Many thanks mate, great info

You're welcome mate. Always like to help out my fellow AVF compadres where I can. :thumbsup:

Yeah the odd thing is that most of the time having a low to okay signal strength on 5 Ghz is usually faster than a good to decent signal strength on 2.4 Ghz. That is where you can run into most issues. If you are pretty close to the router most of the time, devices will select the 5 Ghz, but as soon as you start going through a few walls, its a crap chute.

Hi Guys,
At 11 foot viewing distange 65 or 77? (a80, sadly not a90)

Viewing 80% Sky Q (Rugby, news, movies and tv programmes)
20% Netflix and Amazon
So very little 4k

My concern is the drop in picture quality on the bigger screen. I saw a 77 inch today in currys and it looked bad on sky hd (i'm sure the settings were all over the place but still).

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Guys,

20% Netflix and Amazon
So very little 4k

My concern is the drop in picture quality on the bigger screen. I saw a 77 inch today in currys and it looked bad on sky hd (i'm sure the settings were all over the place but still).

Thanks,
Dan
That's quite a distance. I'd go 77

Hi Guys,

20% Netflix and Amazon
So very little 4k

Thanks,
Dan
Absolutely go with 77, honestly you could even go with the 83" but that is only in the A90J

So Ive had the 65 inch A90J for two weeks, and, coming from a 4 year old A1, have not been blown away by the upgrade. Been slightly regretting not getting the Panasonic 1500B …. However, I have just had it calibrated ( by Ivan Samuel, isfCalibration), and bloody hell. What a difference. I put in the remake of Ghost in the Shell €k and it looked fantastic. I would say, unscientifically, a 15% improvement - certainly noticable in the colour and richness of the picture. So if you are on the fence about calibration, I would say it’s well worth it.

So Ive had the 65 inch A90J for two weeks, and, coming from a 4 year old A1, have not been blown away by the upgrade. Been slightly regretting not getting the Panasonic 1500B …. However, I have just had it calibrated ( by Ivan Samuel, isfCalibration), and bloody hell. What a difference. I put in the remake of Ghost in the Shell €k and it looked fantastic. I would say, unscientifically, a 15% improvement - certainly noticable in the colour and richness of the picture. So if you are on the fence about calibration, I would say it’s well worth it.

I did the same, went from 55 to 65" so was impressed just from that alone. Not had calibrated yet but one thing I have noticed is that it seems to look more impressive now than when I first got it (months back). Unsure if it's mainly in my head or if the picture has matured or updates have tweaked things.

Definitely going to calibrate at some point, doing home improvements though at the moment and there's more chance of me finding rocking horse shit than getting the wife to agree to use spending the cash on that haha!

Stupid question, but does anybody knows where the USB 3.0 is located? I don't have my manual anymore and the TV hangs against the wall. I prefer not to take it down if it's not necessary.

Stupid question, but does anybody knows where the USB 3.0 is located? I don't have my manual anymore and the TV hangs against the wall. I prefer not to take it down if it's not necessary.
Normally USB 3.0 ports are Blue and 2.0 ones are Black. That's the standard colour distinction in the industry.

Normally USB 3.0 ports are Blue and 2.0 ones are Black. That's the standard colour distinction in the industry.

OK but I can't see the colors either haha.. Never mind I think I found it. Finally found a clear picture of the back.. It's the one next to the hdmi port.

OK but I can't see the colors either haha.. Never mind I think I found it. Finally found a clear picture of the back.. It's the one next to the hdmi port.
That's the one I have my SSD drive plugged into to extend the TV's storage as its onboard storage is just pathetic. 5 additional apps installed above the ones that come with it and you're done!! :confused:

This leads me on to the 'Calman for Bravia' App.. I take it the Custom Pro 1 & 2 options won't disappear if it's uninstalled or should it always remain in place on a calibrated set?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom