Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

djbullard

Speedtest is good to check you local speeds, not good at telling you the speeds you are getting from the Sony servers. They could be having issues, or the servers are being overwhelmed by other people streaming etc. The more people buy 2021 Sony tv's the more people will be using that free service. That can create bottlenecks.
On Bravia core I can see in the stats I’m getting over 300mbps in bandwidth but no where close to then when you look at video quality.

BigBoss83

I just downloaded new update. Anyone knows what's inside?
I only have 3 days of experience with this tv. Having said that the only thing i noticed this far is that with the new update you don’t have to manually change the color space in youtube to bt2020 for bt2020 video’s and turn is back to 709 color space for 709 video’s. You can put in on “auto” and it will take the right color space for the things you watch on youtube.

Southsider21

My Sony OLED came pre-loaded with Photoshop.

games133

You have to go into the service menu and then diagnostic screen and then it’s on the bottom left hand corner but it’s not recommended to go into the service menu.

I would be on the phone sending it straight back as it’s definitely a return or demo model going by what you have said.
I've had a look couldn't see the amount of hours I've watched it. Went into self diagnostics. They whear sum numbers there.

SteveLA

I've had a look couldn't see the amount of hours I've watched it. Went into self diagnostics. They whear sum numbers there.
Should be something like this.

B4AA73B5-AFEB-4030-82F5-BCFB9170B13B.jpeg

Sonysono

Novice Member
Does anyone know if I plug in a ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter to the USB input on the back panel (to get speeds above 100mbps) can I still cast content from my phone to the tv? Since the wifi will need to be turned off on the TV for the adapter to work, Im not sure if my phone or laptop would be able to see the TV on the network for casting. Any help would be appreciated!

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know if I plug in a ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter to the USB input on the back panel (to get speeds above 100mbps) can I still cast content from my phone to the tv? Since the wifi will need to be turned off on the TV for the adapter to work, Im not sure if my phone or laptop would be able to see the TV on the network for casting. Any help would be appreciated!
Not an expert in the realms of casting by any means, however, I think I read somewhere that if you disable the TV's onboard WiFi, in order to wirelessly cast to it, you would have to attach a Chromecast device to one of your eth ports on your WiFi router which then pushes the cast traffic through to the TV over its wired conx that way somehow.

StewBucks

Again not an expert so don't quote me on this, but I'm sure it will work just using your wireless router. My Nvidia Shield is wired via ethernet so the wireless is disabled and I've cast stuff wirelessly to it. Although I don't know if the added USB adapter would be different.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Yeah, surely whether wired or not, ultimately it's going to have an IP Address and so long as the source and destination for casting are on the same internal IP Range then there shouldn't be an issue.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I heard that the VRR Sony update is broken unfortunately according to Hdtvtest. But I'd rather not have any broken updates if I'm honest

Geesus

I heard that the VRR Sony update is broken unfortunately according to Hdtvtest. But I'd rather not have any broken updates if I'm honest
That is exclusively the X900H being discussed. We don’t even have a VRR firmware for the A90J yet, and I know for a fact it won’t have the local dimming bug! This years TVs handled 120Hz properly, compared to last, so there is no reason to panic yet. Not that VRR is even a big deal for me. Now iPlayer on the other hand…

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
That is exclusively the X900H being discussed. We don’t even have a VRR firmware for the A90J yet, and I know for a fact it won’t have the local dimming bug! This years TVs handled 120Hz properly, compared to last, so there is no reason to panic yet. Not that VRR is even a big deal for me. Now iPlayer on the other hand…
Yes I know its for the X900H ...im not particularly interested in VRR myself. I'm a casual gamer. The games look fantastic to me! When they finally do release the VRR firmware. I will wait until I see how it is and what it changes before upgrading.

Ashy

Will be well worth it when games start pushing the consoles and frame rates start to dip. Gsync on my PC was the single biggest improvement after an SSD, fantastic tech

Heckie

Standard Member
Still no iPlayer? Thats mad, especially as its available on the new Chromecast with Google TV.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Still no iPlayer? Thats mad, especially as its available on the new Chromecast with Google TV.
Previous iterations of Sony TV's (android) have always had it as part of the YouView licensing, so now that the 2021 Sony's have come direct to market with Google TV it's complicated matters. Does the Chromecast iPlayer app support UHD HLG?

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
just got some new headphones made up the Sony has bluetooth. worked perfectly wireless no lip sync issues touchwood. for late night listening. also ive readon another subject...a new virgin hub 5 with wireless 6 is being released.. its a shame the sonys dont have that. although i might buy the dongle that has been mentioned to speed up for bravia core.

andykillsu

just got some new headphones made up the Sony has bluetooth. worked perfectly wireless no lip sync issues touchwood. for late night listening. also ive readon another subject...a new virgin hub 5 with wireless 6 is being released.. its a shame the sonys dont have that. although i might buy the dongle that has been mentioned to speed up for bravia core.
The internal WiFi 5 card is plenty fast enough for full Bravia Core streams... I am getting usually around 200 MB in Bravia Core on WiFi.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
The internal WiFi 5 card is plenty fast enough for full Bravia Core streams... I am getting usually around 200 MB in Bravia Core on WiFi.
this is what's weird...i have a 500mb connection with virgin..bravia core generally says just under 80 mbps..but when i did a speed test on the tv itself, it says i'm only receiving just under 50 mbps anytime i do the test.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
WiFi 5 is more than good enough for Bravia Core. Even using the 2.4Ghz band you can still achieve between 450>600Mbps and on the 5Ghz band up to 1.3Gbps in ideal conditions.

Bravia Core requires nowhere near those speeds.

Personally mate, I wouldn't bother...
I'm on VM's M350 package and the TV gives me 270Mbps from my UniFi Access Points.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li