Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

UpgradingAgain

I would imagine if you got the 80J without seeing the 90J you would be very happy with it. See them both side by side maybe not.

I personally when getting something as expensive as this normally want to get the best possible model I can get at the time as I keep them for as long as possible until something that significantly improves things comes out. It would also bug the sh*t out of me that there was a better model haha!
I have seen them in store ( side by side) but on their usual feed. I’ve also watched YouTube comparisons and it’s the reviewers that have made me question the merit of paying £3k more for the A90J.

And I agree with your other issue that I also hate the idea of a better model that I could have bought but im trying to be a rational buyer for once! 😂

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Was there a discernible difference after calibration? And was that in all types of viewing or in certain circumstances?
No ...calibration improved everything...every type of viewing...4k changes from very good to exceptional....fixes all those niggles you might have. No more adjustments needed...if you had a very good experienced calibrator. Balances greyscale, colour management , white , blacks dynamic range, motion. Hdr, dolby vision gaming... you can also see before calibration and after so you can really compare. I thought the picture was great beforehand until I compared to a calibrated picture . Once calibrated you will never go back.

chambeaj

I'm trying to solve two issues relating to the NOW TV App on the A90J which have me puzzled at present. I do not experience the problems with other apps such as YouTube, Netflix, Discovery+ etc.

I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions that I could try to get to the bottom of these issues.

The first issue relates to the streaming quality reported by the NOW TV App. I have always found that when starting a channel or on-demand material, I instanly get the streaming quality of 7831. This has been consistent since purchasing the TV in April.

I have had Virgin Media 350 broadband for some time now and have consistently had a download speed of around 389Mb/s.

I've not watched NOW TV for the last two weeks, during which time I'v upgraded from Virgin Media's 350Mb/s option to the higher speed of 500Mb/s.

I now consistently get downloads speeds of 536Mb/s.

However, the NOW TV app now starts off at a streaming quality of 1053 and can take a couple of minutes to increase to 8023. I am currently at a loss to explain this given that my broadband speed has not only gone up considerably, but is far in excess of the demands that would be placed on it by the NOW TV app.

The other issue relates to ARC/EARC. I just upgraded my AV Amp and now have the Denon AVC-X8500HA. The EARC function seems to work with Netflix etc. However, I'm experiencing problems with the NOW TV App. If I select sound through the AV Amp using EARC, then when I switch to a channel on NOW TV (TV Guide), I get an error message PL01 'Something Went Wrong' etc. If I switch to using the TV inbuilt speakers, then I have no problem watching the channel. Has anyone come across this with the A90J ?

Kind Regards
Adrian

Geesus

I think both problems lie with the Now TV app. Watching channels live on it has been problematic for a while now. If you watch the non-live programs and films, do they work correctly?

nilsey

Standard Member
Since they upgraded the app from NOWTV to the NOW app, it's absolutely useless, constant buffering and long wait times. And since they have introduced ads for a subscription, i've decided to ditch it.

Geesus

Interesting rumours that the x900h is due to finally, years after being promised, receive its VRR update in early October. Maybe we will see it on our A90J earlier than predicted.

Then all we need is iPlayer and we are set. Perfect TV.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Interesting rumours that the x900h is due to finally, years after being promised, receive its VRR update in early October. Maybe we will see it on our A90J earlier than predicted.

Then all we need is iPlayer and we are set. Perfect TV.
Not just iPlayer, but the iPlayer that supports UHD/HLG content.
This set is now listed on the BBC iPlayer compatibility list (YouView) so shouldn't be long.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Nice little tips vid..must admit I didn't know about a few of these

UpgradingAgain

Might be silly but I have read some comments here and there about whether to use the apps via tv or via something like fire box or now tv box. Is there a difference in quality? I’d like the best options but not having to switch too much. Also, do you guys change pic modes a lot? Is there a problem with PS5 and 120hz and Dolby vision? I also believe that was mentioned on forums. I get my TV tomorrow and thought I’d set it up as near as I can.

chambeaj

I think both problems lie with the Now TV app. Watching channels live on it has been problematic for a while now. If you watch the non-live programs and films, do they work correctly?
With respect to the streaming quality starting off at 1053, this is occurring with both live and on-demand (non-live) material. It's bizarre because for months I've had no problem and the streaming quality always started off at 7831. Whereas now I have an even faster broadband connection, SONY/NOW App is now kicking off at 1053. I going to dig out my Amazon Fire TV stick and try that.

chambeaj

Might be silly but I have read some comments here and there about whether to use the apps via tv or via something like fire box or now tv box. Is there a difference in quality? I’d like the best options but not having to switch too much. Also, do you guys change pic modes a lot? Is there a problem with PS5 and 120hz and Dolby vision? I also believe that was mentioned on forums. I get my TV tomorrow and thought I’d set it up as near as I can.
The problem with using external devices such as the Fire Stick is that you run into frame rate matching issues. The Fire Sticks frame rate matching only works correctly with Amazon Prime. It's useless for BBC iPlayer, NOW or Disney etc.

chambeaj

The Amazon Fire Stick takes about 3 seconds for the reported stream quality to shift upto 7958. It seems the NOW App on the SONY is screwed up!

andykillsu

All the internal apps I use look and run just fine. You need cinemotion on high because they all run a 60 Hz to get 5:5 pulldown of 24 Hz movies. But that will soon be a none issue once the new andriod update comes out with frame matching support. Only thing is some extranl boxes/sticks can have better audio quality as internal apps will only be DD+. 120 fps works fine on the PS5 but you cannot have DV and 120 fps enabled at the same time, also PS5 doesn't support DV. Bravia Core streaming quality is very impressive when you watch one of the 4K movies at full 80 MBs pure stream!

deon444

Distinguished Member
I usually use the on board apps,they are usually as good or bit better that an external box imo. But I usually use just Netflix and prime apps and they are excellent in 4k hdr.

I have got an ATV but only use that just for movies.

I never change pic modes as I've had mine pro calibrated so don't bother playing around as got my modes set up for day/night.

Custom mode is a good starting point,and for SDR have it around 25/30 brightness and peak luminance med.

Geesus

I’m going to go against the grain on this one, but I ditched the internal apps and now watch everything via an Apple TV 4K. I find the picture quality better and it handles different frame rates better than any other device I own, if you turn on frame rate matching, and Infuse is still the best file playback software I’ve ever encountered.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
When I had my set isf calibrated we compared the internal apps to the apps led from a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro using the same Custom Pro settings.

The internal apps handled motion much better on the hi-res content (HDR) with much less judder, mostly due to the way they handled the FR.

Geesus

When I had my set isf calibrated we compared the internal apps to the apps led from a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro using the same Custom Pro settings.

The internal apps handled motion much better on the hi-res content (HDR) with much less judder, mostly due to the way they handled the FR.

I found the internal YouTube app messed up frame rate pretty frequently, and the ATV is flawless in that regard. Also the ATV is the only device I’ve ever used that properly handles iPlayer playback. The Shield version was terrible. The only thing I miss with the Shield is that AI up scaling which was a fantastic feature.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
I found the internal YouTube app messed up frame rate pretty frequently, and the ATV is flawless in that regard. Also the ATV is the only device I’ve ever used that properly handles iPlayer playback. The Shield version was terrible. The only thing I miss with the Shield is that AI up scaling which was a fantastic feature.
Yeah, the AI Upscaling on the Shield was a nice feature, especially for SDR content.
I have a 2nd Gen FireTV Cube now (Much cheaper) but still does a fantastic job at both AFRM and Upscaling SDR content.

You'll not find a streaming box that can do everything out there and tick all the boxes. Each on the market these days vary in strengths and weaknesses. It's a case of finding that one that suits your specific needs at a price point that you consider is worth the money.

San5324

Crap anybody know how to find that YouTube video recently with Vincent and certain tips of the a90j? I can't seem to find it anymore.

Geesus

Crap anybody know how to find that YouTube video recently with Vincent and certain tips of the a90j? I can't seem to find it anymore.
It is on this page a bit further up

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Not really.. The TV is already a beast after my own changes. No need to pay hundreds of euro
All good as I said personal choice

Geesus

These TVs are so accurate out of the box, calibration is not as essential as it was in previous generations. It is refinement.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021