Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

kevjp

If you need a new stand I got one from currys but it was around £350 but fitted 65 a90j perfectly. Black glass front. Very very pleased with it. All boxes neat and tidy behind glass doors!

AVF - Panorama Plus PM160WBX 1600 mm TV Stand – Black & Walnut

Last edited:

Italyciccia

Hi all

I had Steve Kemp calibrate my 83" yesterday. I am absolutely chuffed with what he's managed to get out of the TV and the difference is amazing. There is a new depth to the images now, they look almost 3 dimensional, and the colours and detail are incredible. The Olympics in UHD has to be seen to be believed. He even dabbled with my Ambeo soundbar with spectacular results.

If you are considering whether its worth getting your set done, i couldnt recommend it and him more highly. He's a top guy and took his time never making me feel stupid for asking questions.

If anyone would like to know more please ask.

Absolutely loving this TV.

M4rkD

I've been looking for the black glass top panel for TV for the stand and it's not available anywhere. Really don't want the top getting scratched and the white (which they have available) does not look good with my chosen colour scheme.
will the black glass reflect the image coming from the screen? it might be distracting in the long run

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
will the black glass reflect the image coming from the screen? it might be distracting in the long run

That's a valid point. I didn't think about that to be fair.
One of the primary reasons I went for a natural wood TV unit that's had a wax finish on it so that it doesn't reflect light.

M4rkD

That's a valid point. I didn't think about that to be fair.

One of the primary reasons I went for a natural wood TV unit that's had a wax finish on it so that it doesn't reflect light.

@ArchAngelDante, i apologize for assuming that you were placing the TV on top of the stand, i forgot that wall mounting is always an option for everyone.

This came to mind when i was looking at an IKEA BESTA TV stand, i wanted the glossy white finish on top, but got reminded of the reflections from the store lights. an AF9 was going on it, i chose also a natural wood look for the top instead, a ZD9 sits on that stand now, the A90J is with me inside my home office but is on top of an IKEA KALLAX 2x4 on its side

JonnyMan

Standard Member
I've a question about the build in Android TV OS. In my settings it's showing as version 10 being installed. I understand version 11 was released in Sept 2020, so why do we have an older version. Is it possible to move to newer one or will that not work with the TV?

Edit: I meant Google TV :s

Last edited:

JonnyMan

Standard Member
This TV doesn’t use Android TV.S
Sorry I mean Google TV. I got confused as in settings it shows this...

Model: Bravia 4K VH2
Android TV OS version: 10
Android TV OS security patch: March 2021
Kernel version: 4.19.75 #1 Wed May 26 03:56:14 JST 2021

From help menu:
model: XR-65A90J
Software Version: PKG6.3780.0472EUA

Netflix doesnt seem to be fully integrated on Google TV. eg. Not showing in 'Your services' as it would on Chromecast -
Netflix directory comes back to Chromecast with Google TV, still limited

andykillsu

I've a question about the build in Android TV OS. In my settings it's showing as version 10 being installed. I understand version 11 was released in Sept 2020, so why do we have an older version. Is it possible to move to newer one or will that not work with the TV?

Edit: I meant Google TV :s
Sony has to update the TV to the new Google TV versions. Google just makes the new version of the OS, buts its up to the manufactures to actually roll out the update to the TV (Just like Android for phones works). It typically takes Sony a long time before they will do upgrades like that.

JonnyMan

Standard Member
Sony has to update the TV to the new Google TV versions. Google just makes the new version of the OS, buts its up to the manufactures to actually roll out the update to the TV (Just like Android for phones works). It typically takes Sony a long time before they will do upgrades like that.
Ok, thanks.

gurmukhp

Hi all

I had Steve Kemp calibrate my 83" yesterday. I am absolutely chuffed with what he's managed to get out of the TV and the difference is amazing. There is a new depth to the images now, they look almost 3 dimensional, and the colours and detail are incredible. The Olympics in UHD has to be seen to be believed. He even dabbled with my Ambeo soundbar with spectacular results.

If you are considering whether its worth getting your set done, i couldnt recommend it and him more highly. He's a top guy and took his time never making me feel stupid for asking questions.

If anyone would like to know more please ask.

Absolutely loving this TV.
Had mine done this week by Mr Kemp too, did a great job!

Craig uk

Yeah. so this from the offical IMAX Enhanced website is what had me confused>..!!

View attachment 1547744
So just watched Spider-Man, the film itself is pretty bad IMO but I was pleased to see plenty of full screen IMAX scenes, pretty much all the main action sequences were definitely IMAX. Despite not being my cup of tea I did enjoy watching the film purely to enjoy the gorgeous picture quality, even the non IMAX scenes were stunning but when the full screen opened up the picture really popped, the best HDR experience I seen.
67A93ACD-AF56-410B-80BF-ABCE52E7AA79.jpeg

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Hey, thanks @Craig uk

I remember certain scenes in Tenet and TDK do the same as you described there for Spider-Man. It could be a distinct possibility that I was watching BadBoysFL in auto-pilot, so engrossed by the PQ that I didn't even notice the full-screen changes when they appeared. I might try another IMAX-E title soon just to double-check my sanity!

You're spot on though.. The HDR & DV PQ that comes out of this unit is unbelievable. Right down to the detail of seeing the very fine hair on the actor's ears.

Watched 'Alien (1979)' on my UB820 in 4K HDR+10 last night. Absolutely stunning it was. Can't believe that in all the multiple sittings watching that film over the years, on various formats (VHS/DVD/BR) prior to last night, I have missed out in so much detail that got lost on those older formats. Was almost a completely different film.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I watched spiderman far from home on braviacore....Great picture throughout and those imax scenes. Wow...so happy I got this tv and calibration ..Still in awe

Craig uk

Hey, thanks @Craig uk

I remember certain scenes in Tenet and TDK do the same as you described there for Spider-Man. It could be a distinct possibility that I was watching BadBoysFL in auto-pilot, so engrossed by the PQ that I didn't even notice the full-screen changes when they appeared. I might try another IMAX-E title soon just to double-check my sanity!

You're spot on though.. The HDR & DV PQ that comes out of this unit is unbelievable. Right down to the detail of seeing the very fine hair on the actor's ears.

Watched 'Alien (1979)' on my UB820 in 4K HDR+10 last night. Absolutely stunning it was. Can't believe that in all the multiple sittings watching that film over the years, on various formats (VHS/DVD/BR) prior to last night, I have missed out in so much detail that got lost on those older formats. Was almost a completely different film.
Hahah I did wonder if auto pilot might have engaged - it did for me also! It wasn’t until about half through the film I noticed it happening. I must say how delighted I am with my A90j purchase, I was on the fence and seriously wondering if the extra cash was worth it over the 80 but since owning it everything we’ve watched has been excellent leaving me in no doubt it was the right choice. As reviews have suggested when it comes to HDR content this set is in a class of its own.

By the way the original Alien is one of my favourite, as you say there’s nothing better than watching a film you’ve enjoyed countless times and seeing it look better than ever, the very reason we all buy a new TV. I have it in HDR so will be checking it out very soon - will be revisiting all our favourites just need to decide which to watch first:cool:

SteveLA

Not sure if my TV has a fault or it's to do with the latest update.

Tonight I noticed when watching something on ATV in HDMI4 set to enhanced DV it didn't play the film in HDR, when I set the HDMI port to just enhanced it played in HDR but then if I played something in DV it wouldn't play in DV. I'm sure it used to work but now I have to keep changing to either enhanced or enhanced DV to get the correct output.

Surely that can't be right and I'm sure it used to work?

wxman2003

Tonight I noticed when watching something on ATV in HDMI4 set to enhanced DV it didn't play the film in HDR, when I set the HDMI port to just enhanced it played in HDR but then if I played something in DV it wouldn't play in DV. I'm sure it used to work but now I have to keep changing to either enhanced or enhanced DV to get the correct output.

Do you have your ATV set to 4K SDR with frame rate and dynamic range on?

SteveLA

Do you have your ATV set to 4K SDR with frame rate and dynamic range on?

Yes.

edit: just looked on the ATV thread and looks like HDR is broke on the prime app.

Last edited:

ArchAngelDante

Standard Member
@ArchAngelDante, i apologize for assuming that you were placing the TV on top of the stand, i forgot that wall mounting is always an option for everyone.

This came to mind when i was looking at an IKEA BESTA TV stand, i wanted the glossy white finish on top, but got reminded of the reflections from the store lights. an AF9 was going on it, i chose also a natural wood look for the top instead, a ZD9 sits on that stand now, the A90J is with me inside my home office but is on top of an IKEA KALLAX 2x4 on its side
You were right though, I do plan on placing it on the stand.

Craig uk

Just use the built in app?

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp