Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Elyeu

Novice Member
So if i use Plex and watch a movie with Dolby True HD, it will be transcoded?
Even if i want to use a capable soundbar it will just don't work?

chopples

Distinguished Member
So if i use Plex and watch a movie with Dolby True HD, it will be transcoded?
Even if i want to use a capable soundbar it will just don't work?

boblo

i understand this tv has the so called ”EVO” panel. Some reviewer (Vincent Teoh) mentioned that because of that the colour temperature changes when viewing off center. Does that mean black and white movies are somewhat tinted when viewed from the side seats of a large sofa...?
More on this issue:
There is a 4K B/W movie called Roma (Alfonso Cuaron, 2018) on Netflix. Some A90J owner could test the pink tint issue by watching the beginning of this movie off center.

Mallett94

More on this issue:
There is a 4K B/W movie called Roma (Alfonso Cuaron, 2018) on Netflix. Some A90J owner could test the pink tint issue by watching the beginning of this movie off center.
Out of interest, why would you choose to watch a TV from off centre if you don't have to?

azurik777

Did it worked out? I had the issue again yesterday. I always check if army of darkness is showing Dolby vision / atmos.

If I see vision /5.1 I restart from the menu the issue is directly solved for me.
No, still not working. I turn on my atv and open Netflix. The homepage would show everything in vision/ 5.1. Then, whilst leaving the atv running on the Netflix homepage, I restart the tv via settings. When the picture comes back up, I still only get vision/ 5.1

strangely any movie I bought on the apple store, will play in vision/ atmos. The Disney app also plays in atmos. I think it’s got to be an issue with Netflix. I also just played something that’s showing vision/ 5.1 which should be atmos and when I press the info button, it actually shows atmos too :)

Last edited:

GAmbrose

Any of the 83" A90J owners got buyers remorse with the recent reveal that the 77" A80J uses the same Evo panel?

It's nearly half the price....:eek:

Barney Gumble

IMG_2783.jpg
@Doctor Bravestone and @Mallett94 to update you both on my A90J, due to the assistance you've both offered.

I was AWOL for a month, not ignoring either of you, sorry.

Previously, all of my components (Panasonic UB820, PlayStation and Sky Q) were all connected to a receiver, receiver to TV and I wasn't impressed with the TV.

I've now managed to connect all three components to the TV directly and prior to the weekend was relying on ARC = PQ is not improved a little, it's like a different TV.

The noticeable difference just enforces my view that receivers, although only meant to be repeaters, do influence the PQ, especially if you have to enable 'enhanced' within the settings on HDMI ports.

However, I do have another persistent and annoying problem; the TV doesn't appear to remember the fact I've configured and set the connected devices up. The only device the A90J 'remembers' is, no surprise, the PlayStation (a Sony product).

Since the weekend, I've replaced my Onkyo with a Yamaha, problem still persists. the TV doesn't recognise the fact I've already configured Sky Q, the UB820 and the new receiver.

I've managed to swap all HDMI leads this morning (I'm sweating me conkers off now), rebooted everything after configuring to test, Sky Q and the UB820 not recognised (please refer to pic), the receiver is in name, but no longer configured.

I've got a new UHD player to connect today, a Reavon UBR-X100. Once I've done that, I'm going to reset the TV.

I don't know what else to do... any ideas please?

It's a problem because if the receiver isn't recognised, the A90J is not passing audio properly. It occurs to me, this is all down to 'handshaking' between components. Just my uneducated guess.

To summarise, much, MUCH happier with PQ, far less happy about reliability.

KarlJohan

Any of the 83" A90J owners got buyers remorse with the recent reveal that the 77" A80J uses the same Evo panel?

It's nearly half the price....:eek:
Not even a little bit, absolutely love my calibrated 83" it's just amazing. :) :) :)

deon444

Distinguished Member
Well yesterday I had my A90J calibrated as I was fully happy with,unlike the one I returned.

Steve Kemp came down to calibrate my set,as he has done at least 10 of my sets over the years from plasma to Oled and always done a great job. So he will always get my custom :smashin:

The A90J was fairly accurate but not as good as it could be.

After calibration had better skin tones,depth,details and colour accuracy.

What makes this set stand out from the A80J and other sets is the HDR performance. After the calibration we looked at loads of HDR content and the depth and the specular highlights are just stunning.

I haven't seen any grid on my panel and wanted a second opinion so put on some torture tests and asked Steve if he could see any,which he couldn't so I'm very happy with the uniformity of the panel.

Very happy with the A90J before calibration, and the calibration takes it to another level.

Best set I've had,beats the GZ2000 i had which i was very happy with in every way, gaming,motion (50hz/60hz with motionflow on and off vs Panasonic ifc) bit starved content,1080p upscaling,colour banding, SDR and HDR where the Gz occasionally showed posterization on brighter objects and had diluted colours at times. This set exhibits none of that.

Now all I need to do is watch more HDR content as I have plenty unwatched.

This set will keep me happy at least till next year and don't think there will be much improvement vs the A90J other than hdmi inputs and anything else pic wise will be minimal, unless QD-Oled comes out.

deon444

Distinguished Member
What was wrong with the one you returned?
Not much really,was me being overly fussy. It had a thin line of along the top third of the screen,but that went the next day after a compensation cycle, but already had a authorised return already booked .

It did have a 10pence size light patch on right side of panel, which could be seen on a 5% slide but only noticed it in actual content twice in the 6 weeks I had it. Most people would have kept it.

It also had no tint or banding,but some mild grid which was noticeable if nose close,so I was worried I could get a worse set in return,but luckily I got a really good panel in return.

Both sets were 65"

SimonST

Distinguished Member
Got a PM locked in for a 65" from JL, so will order in the next couple of weeks, just going to see if they start a new promo for August, and can try and sell the E6 too.

stewjoy

View attachment 1547606@Doctor Bravestone and @Mallett94 to update you both on my A90J, due to the assistance you've both offered.

I was AWOL for a month, not ignoring either of you, sorry.

Previously, all of my components (Panasonic UB820, PlayStation and Sky Q) were all connected to a receiver, receiver to TV and I wasn't impressed with the TV.

I've now managed to connect all three components to the TV directly and prior to the weekend was relying on ARC = PQ is not improved a little, it's like a different TV.

The noticeable difference just enforces my view that receivers, although only meant to be repeaters, do influence the PQ, especially if you have to enable 'enhanced' within the settings on HDMI ports.

However, I do have another persistent and annoying problem; the TV doesn't appear to remember the fact I've configured and set the connected devices up. The only device the A90J 'remembers' is, no surprise, the PlayStation (a Sony product).

Since the weekend, I've replaced my Onkyo with a Yamaha, problem still persists. the TV doesn't recognise the fact I've already configured Sky Q, the UB820 and the new receiver.

I've managed to swap all HDMI leads this morning (I'm sweating me conkers off now), rebooted everything after configuring to test, Sky Q and the UB820 not recognised (please refer to pic), the receiver is in name, but no longer configured.

I've got a new UHD player to connect today, a Reavon UBR-X100. Once I've done that, I'm going to reset the TV.

I don't know what else to do... any ideas please?

It's a problem because if the receiver isn't recognised, the A90J is not passing audio properly. It occurs to me, this is all down to 'handshaking' between components. Just my uneducated guess.

To summarise, much, MUCH happier with PQ, far less happy about reliability.
Slightly different from your situation I have the A80J and when I play any Dolby Vision disc through my ub 820 I don’t get notification on the tv screen of volume increase I have to look at my avr screen, also same issue with my Apple 4k tv box. If I play any non Dolby Vision disc all info comes on to the tv screen.

KarlJohan

Missed out on HDR first week of owning my set. Thought that "Enhanced format" was enabled at calibration, but it was not. So I watched quite a few movies without HDR or Dolby vision so im gonna have to rewatch quite a few movies. That's how bright the 83" is. :)

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Missed out on HDR first week of owning my set. Thought that "Enhanced format" was enabled at calibration, but it was not. So I watched quite a few movies without HDR or Dolby vision so im gonna have to rewatch quite a few movies. That's how bright the 83" is. :)
Hope you didn't pay for that calibration? I would get yer $ back if you did.
If properly calibrated your set should auto switch to the Custom Pro (HDR/DV) setting that the calibrator set for that input when the appropriate signal comes through that source.

It is probably the first thing I noticed about these Sony TV's, that unlike the LG's, you don't get an automated pop-up in the corner of the screen when HDR/HLG/DV content is displayed on the panel. With the Sony's you have to click at least one button on the remote to confirm what format you're watching, mostly for HDMI driven sources it's the [ i+ ] button on the remote.

KarlJohan

Hope you didn't pay for that calibration? I would get yer $ back if you did.
If properly calibrated your set should auto switch to the Custom Pro (HDR/DV) setting that the calibrator set for that input when the appropriate signal comes through that source.

It is probably the first thing I noticed about these Sony TV's, that unlike the LG's, you don't get an automated pop-up in the corner of the screen when HDR/HLG/DV content is displayed on the panel. With the Sony's you have to click at least one button on the remote to confirm what format you're watching, mostly for HDMI driven sources it's the [ i+ ] button on the remote.
It did show HDR and Dolby vision when i pressed the info-button and it switches correctly. Dont know what to think of it.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
I got a question for the owners...

When I was watching Bad Boys for Life last night via Bravia Core, it is listed as an IMAX-E (Enhanced) title. Now I thought that IMAX-E titles filled the entire screen, however when I watched this movie it still retained the black bars?

Some setting not right somewhere possibly?

Barney Gumble

I got a question for the owners...

When I was watching Bad Boys for Life last night via Bravia Core, it is listed as an IMAX-E (Enhanced) title. Now I thought that IMAX-E titles filled the entire screen, however when I watched this movie it still retained the black bars?

Some setting not right somewhere possibly?
It is being presented in the correct ratio, which I think is 4:3 mate.

micks_address

Barney are you running a 2.1 hdmi receiver?

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp