Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Ashy

I think if you put the G1, A90J and JZ2000 in a Pepsi challenge style comparison most people wouldn't tell the difference and think they all looked amazing. My perspective since the reviews have started to come out is the usual marketing crap about massive leaps in tech and as usual it's an incremental update better than previous.

Think the biggest benefit/improvement for me will simply be going from a 55" OLED to a 65" OLED 🤣

kevjp

Just as a quick aside Kev - as you know I don't share your issues with 24Hz material, but have had occasional issues with 50Hz, so recently been experimenting. I used to have IFC on min, but I have now shut that off totally and am using BFI on min instead - which I find better.

What clinched it for me was the ultimate torture test - scrolling through Sky programmes horizontally at the bottom of the screen - using BFI, it is 90% better than with IFC. I haven't noticed any flickering at all with it. Perhaps slightly darker picture, so I just upped the luminance a couple of clicks.

So worth trying with your new TV if you need to.
Thanks. Ill try that on hz1500. If it works I'll cancel a90j as the pq is superb but stutter is the killer for me. Cheers

IL Cattivo

I think if you put the G1, A90J and JZ2000 in a Pepsi challenge style comparison most people wouldn't tell the difference and think they all looked amazing. My perspective since the reviews have started to come out is the usual marketing crap about massive leaps in tech and as usual it's an incremental update better than previous.

Think the biggest benefit/improvement for me will simply be going from a 55" OLED to a 65" OLED 🤣

You lucky dawg.

Whereas for me it'll be a 49" LCD to 65" OLED... :clap: 🥳🎉

SteveLA

Seems everyone is going up in size, I’m going 55” to 65” and that’s the thing I’m looking forward to.

capt_janeway

40" LCD to 55" A84J for me

Barney Gumble

Seems everyone is going up in size, I’m going 55” to 65” and that’s the thing I’m looking forward to.
I must be the exception then as I have a 55" C9 and have ordered a 55" A90J.

I've taken a good long look at the wall and I'm thinking, due to its design, I could at a push, accommodate a 65" G1 but... that would take a lot of persuading to convince my wife.

I'm not sure I can afford that much wool and chocolate.

Edit; Yer, I hope to see a leap in quality, rather than in size. And that's what I keep telling my wife too;).

Last edited:

Ashy

I'll be honest if I wasn't going to a bigger size I probably would be keeping the A1, that's been the main factor for getting a new set. I was patient enough to wait from plasma to OLED :D

clnthl

I don’t think the review is that negative, isn’t it their highest score?

Geesus

I must be the exception then as I have a 55" C9 and have ordered a 55" A90J.

I've taken a good long look at the wall and I'm thinking, due to its design, I could at a push, accommodate a 65" G1 but... that would take a lot of persuading to convince my wife.

I'm not sure I can afford that much wool and chocolate.

Edit; Yer, I hope to see a leap in quality, rather than in size. And that's what I keep telling my wife too;).
I'm going from a 55" Sony AF9 to a 55" Sony A90J. I can see compression artefacts on a 55". I can't risk going bigger.

Barney Gumble

I'm going from a 55" Sony AF9 to a 55" Sony A90J. I can see compression artefacts on a 55". I can't risk going bigger.
That is the blessing of only being able to accommodate a 55" sometimes, less issues with the panel.

My C9 is very good, I'm happy with it but, I've always aspired for a Sony but, they've never ticked all the boxes for my needs, until now. I have put my money on the A90J.

clnthl

Vincent has just put a video up of G1 vs GX looks like the pink tint is caused by evo panel. Further confirmation this is likely being used in the A90j too

Geesus

Vincent has just put a video up of G1 vs GX looks like the pink tint is caused by evo panel. Further confirmation this is likely being used in the A90j too

Is it pink tinted uniformly or in patches? Haven't had a chance to watch the video. Pink tint can be calibrated out if it is the former.

clnthl

clnthl

Is it pink tinted uniformly or in patches? Haven't had a chance to watch the video. Pink tint can be calibrated out if it is the former.
Looks like it’s just the edges of the screen and it appears it’s much more noticeable when watching off axis as opposed to straight on

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021