Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

KarlJohan

Geesus

When I bought a projector back in the day, I paid extra for them to set it up and check for dead pixels etc. If I was buying an 83" version of this TV I would let them calibrate it, as long as they did uniformity and dead pixel checks etc. You can get close enough irregardless of the ambient conditions anyway. Just slightly upping (or probably lessening) the OLED brightness shouldn't mess with greyscale too much.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

GAmbrose

It sure is ;)

I quickly set it up this morning but sadly have been out all day and not long got back. Pretty knackered so going to watch the football and then have a good play with the settings over the next couple of days.

It really is stunning and I love the simplistic stand where the TV is flush with the cabinet.

If any fellow 83 owners would like to share their settings please do.

View attachment 1531726

No centre speaker? Or are you using the TV as that.

Vegemietian

Novice Member
How are A90j owners finding the picture quality for sports? I was in a store and saw cricket being played on the LG C1 and it was so dim I couldn't make out the details on the faces of players.

Does the A90j look OK for soccer, cricket, basketball?

Geesus

How are A90j owners finding the picture quality for sports? I was in a store and saw cricket being played on the LG C1 and it was so dim I couldn't make out the details on the faces of players.

Does the A90j look OK for soccer, cricket, basketball?
It won't look any different for sport than it does anything else. It is always best to be cautious when demoing TVs in store as they are not se up correctly 99% of the time. If it was a cricket match hosted in this country, the weather was likely to be responsible. The C1 and A90J are plenty bright enough.

deon444

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

Wow. Super expensive.
Love most of the BDI range,I have a BDI stand,different model and a lot cheaper from ebay.

Want that stand myself ,but not at full price :eek: . Very well made stands but a tad overpriced imo .

You decided on what size and model Oled yet?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Love most of the BDI range,I have a BDI stand,different model and a lot cheaper from ebay.

Want that stand myself ,but not at full price :eek: . Very well made stands but a tad overpriced imo .

You decided on what size and model Oled yet?

To be frank, I am not getting good vibes with the Sony OLEDs due to near black handling and lack of catch up apps.

The numbers on Panasonic JZ are 10% higher than A90J.but stupid Panasonic don't do 77. I am hearing they fixed micro stutter.

LG doesn't pass through DTS lol.

So I am leaning towards Panasonic 65JZ1500 or an used 77 2020 or 2019 OLED or even Sony 75 X95J if I get for cheap as a stop gap TV for a year or two and use that savings on furniture and audio gear. :)

Phragzy

Thanks.

Wow. Super expensive.
It is the BDI cabinet. It is ridiculously expensive but there is nothing like it when it comes to an AV cabinet.
No centre speaker? Or are you using the TV as that.

It's hidden in the cabinet. Was the main reason for choosing this cabinet as it allows the doors to be closed without affecting the sound.

Talking of sound I watched the football last night and used the TV speakers and have to say I was very impressed with the quality. I'm going to test out using it as a centre channel. I know it won't hold a candle to my KEF but I am intrigued to hear it.

Speaker.jpg

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
It is the BDI cabinet. It is ridiculously expensive but there is nothing like it when it comes to an AV cabinet.

It's hidden in the cabinet. Was the main reason for choosing this cabinet as it allows the doors to be closed without affecting the sound.

Talking of sound I watched the football last night and used the TV speakers and have to say I was very impressed with the quality. I'm going to test out using it as a centre channel. I know it won't hold a candle to my KEF but I am intrigued to hear it.

View attachment 1531877
It's a beautiful cabinet very pricey..but the speaker looks like it would be firing at your feet or knees!

micks_address

Thanks.

Wow. Super expensive.
Definitely pricey - i got my corner unit built by a carpenter for about 400 pounds. Probably not the same but does the job nicely

Meridius

My 83A90J turned up Wednesday, wow I didn't think it would be that much better than my 77AG9, but it is. I've playing Ratchet and Clank on PS5 and I can't believe how much nicer it looks on the A90J. Also everything has more impact and depth. If anyone is sitting on the fence then don't it's awesome.View attachment 1530152
Nice setup. Where you get the wallpaper from. Lol.

md178

View attachment 1531877
I'm thinking of buying the Corridor or Align stand from BDI, is that the fog grey finish you have there?

Italyciccia

Just got my 83 inch up and am very pleased. It’s a stunning TV. Just playing with the settings a bit. Are there any absolute musts ? I’ll post some pics soon.

gurmukhp

On some Netflix shows, I'm finding it hard to hear the dialog. If I use the Apple TV and go direct to the AVR, the audio is much clearer. This happen to anyone else?

Phragzy

How are people watching the Euros in UHD on BBC iPlayer? I'm watching via my Panasonic 820 blu-ray player but there is quite a bit of stutter. Times like this when you get annoyed there are no catch up apps at launch.

md178

No it's charcoal. Stunning colour and even better in person.
Good to know, difficult to see these things in person before you order though, not many stockists. They are expensive but I've not seen anything that looks as good and hides all your equipment and wires.

Phragzy

Good to know, difficult to see these things in person before you order though, not many stockists. They are expensive but I've not seen anything that looks as good and hides all your equipment and wires.

I know I was very nervous buying without seeing it. I knew it was well reviewed but wanted to see the colour in person as all the photos are computer generated. I tried all the major AV shops but none had any in store and the BDI store is in Lancashire so not local to me.

I took a punt and as soon as it arrived my worries vanished as it's stunning. I've had so many compliments on it. Definitely worth the price.

kevjp

How are people watching the Euros in UHD on BBC iPlayer? I'm watching via my Panasonic 820 blu-ray player but there is quite a bit of stutter. Times like this when you get annoyed there are no catch up apps at launch.
I tried that too but stutter undefeatable! Watching sky q HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max