Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Every time I read about complaint from Gamers, I feel this HDMI 2.1 is not fully ready. I think the manufacturers let it out to consumers a bit early.

micks_address

Every time I read about complaint from Gamers, I feel this HDMI 2.1 is not fully ready. I think the manufacturers let it out to consumers a bit early.
Which is basically what Sony is saying. The spec hasn’t been fully signed off so any released implementation can’t be either. I see even the LG’s don’t do Dolby vision at 120hz but say it’s coming soon...

UltiResis

I can add another vote on the Maxonar cables. They do exactly what it says on the tin.

Barney Gumble

Which is basically what Sony is saying. The spec hasn’t been fully signed off so any released implementation can’t be either. I see even the LG’s don’t do Dolby vision at 120hz but say it’s coming soon...
The specification for HDMI 2.1 was agreed in 2017. You jut try getting all the manufacturers to implement it to the same standard though, this is where the problem lies.

Each manufacturer appears to be using chipsets capable of certain aspects of the HDMI 2.1 specification and being allowed to get away with labeling it as such when the reality is something entirely different.

Hence, why the end user has to enable deep colour or enhanaced or enhanced DV etc, etc. It's all b*ll sh*t.

You should be able to seat a cable labelled as HDMI whatever and everything just work, no enabling or toggling in settings - work out of the box.

Barney Gumble

I've pin pointed the culphrit of this issue. It's seems to be related to using the TV's ARC/eARC feature. Perhaps a bug with the TV's OS/Firmware or the SONY TV's implementation of the NOW App !

I have the TV's ARC/eARC HDMI 3 connected to my AV Amp by way of an HDMI Audio extractor, as my AV Amp is pre-ARC/4K i.e only HDMI 1.4. This all works fine (at least for the TV's onboard apps). For instance, with Disney+ and NetFlix I'm successfully getting 5.1 DD+ to the AV Amp etc.

With the NOW app I can successfully stream all on-demand material and get 5.1 audio etc. However, when it comes to the live channels (TV Guide), only SKY News HD streams successfully. On all the other live channels the picture freezes. This as previously stated only applies to the NOW app on the SONY TV. This problem only started after having no problems during the first two weeks of ownership of this TV.

Having exhausted all other options I decided to turn off my external eARC audio system, thereby forcing the TV to switch back to using the TV's internal speaker system. Hey presto, all the live channels on NOW suddendly work fine !!

Bizarre!
Now TV worked for me in the first week. Now it doesn't.

I have Sky Q so don't need it but, pay for it for my parents and and often use it as the PQ for SDR via the TV's built-in app can often be better than via Sky Q.

Have you noticed the app states it's a beta version? I've stopped using it for now, but will try it with eARC disabled, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Geesus

No, the ATV and the sky Q box, goes into the soundbar. The soundbar then goes into arc.

I mean, if your soundbar supports eArc, as it must if it is outputting Dolby Atmos, you must have a setting incorrect on the ATV

If I plug the Apple TV directly into the tv then I don’t get Dolby atmos through the soundbar.

You should have all your devices going to your TV then the HDMI 3 port from the TV to your eArc HDMI port on the soundbar and everything should then work.

Your soundbar does not support earc?

I'm no audio expert but it should if it has Dolby Atmos capabilities?

Edit - ah OK just seen the above post ^^^

Barney Gumble

Did think about a factory reset,but going through all the setup again will annoy me more,especially if there was no improvement :suicide:

Will just live with it and hope it improves over time. The crashes are not a deal breaker, I can put up with it as have no major uniformity issues with tint or banding, and just mild grid if I look for it up close.

The picture from the A90J is outstanding so will just put up with it
I'm getting more than a little sick of apps crashing now.

Add to that every time we fire up the TV, Disney+ is asking for us to login again:mad:.

And this little Ethernet to USB adapter that everyone is using, it is very bad for me. Made everything worse, not better. Some content via Netflix won't even load... and now I can't get the damn thing out as I can't reach it.

Mr Nipples

Standard Member
I'm getting more than a little sick of apps crashing now.

Add to that every time we fire up the TV, Disney+ is asking for us to login again:mad:.

And this little Ethernet to USB adapter that everyone is using, it is very bad for me. Made everything worse, not better. Some content via Netflix won't even load... and now I can't get the damn thing out as I can't reach it.
Admittedly I haven't used the apps extensively yet... the odd episode of something here and there... but I've had zero issues with them so far... guess we'll see if that changes when I start using them more frequently.

Barney Gumble

Admittedly I haven't used the apps extensively yet... the odd episode of something here and there... but I've had zero issues with them so far... guess we'll see if that changes when I start using them more frequently.
I don't understand why there's no option to close apps other than pushing and holding the power button to restart the TV?!

Just stopping the app by exiting it doesn't stop the process, it still runs in the background and I reckon this contributes to apps crashing or the system freezing.

And if you have to restart the TV, you start the counter over for the four hour compensation cycle, which means sometimes the TV goes off without undertaking it, GRRR!!!

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
How can I get my a90j to switch directly to my sky Q when i press TV on the remote?

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Push the home button on the Sky Q remote. Or, try pushing the 'i' button on the TV remote, push the power option and see if that turns Q on. Probably got to have it on the Q input first;).
sorry i meant sky q is already on....all i want to do is get to sky q when i press tv on the Sony remote...currently i just get a blank screen saying no input i can get by pressing the smart keys on my amp remote. but i dont want to keep changing remotes around just to get back to sky q

Replicant

sorry i meant sky q is already on....all i want to do is get to sky q when i press tv on the Sony remote...currently i just get a blank screen saying no input i can get by pressing the smart keys on my amp remote. but i dont want to keep changing remotes around just to get back to sky q
Settings: Channels & Inputs - TV button shortcut

chopples

Distinguished Member
No, arc but not earc. It’s a Samsung soundbar with Dolby atmos with rear speakers. It’s about 4/5 years old

Hi mate is this the k950 by any chance? Unfortunately Samsung didn't add DV passthrough until the "n" series released the following year. Additionally, for some inexplicable reason, they didn't even allow lossy atmos over arc (DD+). This wouldn't have helped with the ATV as that needs EARC due to using Dolby MAT but it would have meant you could have at least used the onboard Apple TV app and get DV and atmos that way. As it stands you have to compromise one or another (DV or ATMOS). What I would be inclined to do is leave the ATV4K connected to the bar and test some content with HDR10 and atmos and compare it to the onboard app on the Sony set (DV+5.1) and make a judgement.

XmidniteX

Hi mate is this the k950 by any chance? Unfortunately Samsung didn't add DV passthrough until the "n" series released the following year. Additionally, for some inexplicable reason, they didn't even allow lossy atmos over arc (DD+). This wouldn't have helped with the ATV as that needs EARC due to using Dolby MAT but it would have meant you could have at least used the onboard Apple TV app and get DV and atmos that way. As it stands you have to compromise one or another (DV or ATMOS). What I would be inclined to do is leave the ATV4K connected to the bar and test some content with HDR10 and atmos and compare it to the onboard app on the Sony set (DV+5.1) and make a judgement.
It is indeed yes. Good to know it’s not be being stupid then. But frustrating after all this the my soundbar doesn’t support Dolby vision. I knew I’d probably have to upgrade it at some point. But not due to its incapability to do Dolby vision.

XmidniteX

Next on my purchase list is the new Apple TV 4K (my wife isn’t going to notice the difference in those boxes so I’ll get away with it) So the soundbar will have to wait until towards the end of the year for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021