Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Up the Saints, great pictures 😇

This was the rounded off screw
48287CB9-B9F0-478B-A40E-B68BD3EEDB57.jpeg

I'm pretty concerned about interactions with Google TV being rage-inducing, but maybe as I hopefully won't be spending much time in the launcher it won't be much of an issue. I don't have a TV license, so don't watch any broadcast TV at all, nor any of the catch-up crap. In fact, I will only use the four apps that have shortcut buttons on the remote (YouTube, Netflix, Prime and Disney+) to consume content, the PC for gaming and maybe the UB900 on the odd occasion I can be bothered to put a disc on.

Given those factors, I'm wondering if - post set-up - I can avoid the home screen/menus almost entirely and, go direct to the apps I want and avoid sound dropouts, having to reboot, random resets and any other crap that people have mentioned?

Are there any other gotchas with the TV?

So far I've heard mention of a power save popup when changing the picture mode - which I don't really do very often - and something about the colour space being wrong in YouTube, and not selecting the correct space when playing back HDR content.

Are there any issues with the Netflix, Prime and/or Disney+ apps? Any issues with the PC input mode?

I'm stuck between the heart wanting the extra brightness of the A90J, and the head saying go with the LG C1 as I won't want to launch the remote at it when I have to turn it off at the mains to fix an unfixable issue.

Hopefully by the time I bite (whenever the 83" drops to the £5,000 mark I hope), some of the current issues will have been ironed out and this becomes a moot point.

I'm pretty concerned about interactions with Google TV being rage-inducing, but maybe as I hopefully won't be spending much time in the launcher it won't be much of an issue. I don't have a TV license, so don't watch any broadcast TV at all, nor any of the catch-up crap. In fact, I will only use the four apps that have shortcut buttons on the remote (YouTube, Netflix, Prime and Disney+) to consume content, the PC for gaming and maybe the UB900 on the odd occasion I can be bothered to put a disc on.

Given those factors, I'm wondering if - post set-up - I can avoid the home screen/menus almost entirely and, go direct to the apps I want and avoid sound dropouts, having to reboot, random resets and any other crap that people have mentioned?

So far I've heard mention of a power save popup when changing the picture mode - which I don't really do very often - and something about the colour space being wrong in YouTube, and not selecting the correct space when playing back HDR content.

Are there any issues with the Netflix, Prime and/or Disney+ apps? Any issues with the PC input mode?

I'm stuck between the heart wanting the extra brightness of the A90J, and the head saying go with the LG C1 as I won't want to launch the remote at it when I have to turn it off at the mains to fix an unfixable issue.

Hopefully by the time I bite (whenever the 83" drops to the £5,000 mark I hope), some of the current issues will have been ironed out and this becomes a moot point.
you may want to launch the remote at webos6 though? 🤔🤔😂

I've been trying to get multi-channel audio from the SONY TV to my Denon AV Amp, but not having any success. I can only conclude that the HDMI eARC audio extractor I've purchased simply does not work correctly.

This is the device I purchased:
Feintech HDMI eARC/ARC Audio Extractor

With the TV's native apps my Denon AV Amp indicates it's receiving a Dolby Digital+ signal, but it's only 2.0 channel.

With external devices such as my Fire TV stick and NVIDIA Shield Pro the Denon is only receiving a 2.0 channel PCM signal. Both these source devices are normally outputting DD+, so the TV seems to be converting to PCM 2.0 !

The HDMI eARC audio extractor is of course connected to the SONY'S HDMI 3 (ARC/eARC) port. The shield is connected to HDMI input 4 and the Fire TV Stick to HDMI input 1.

On the TV's sound settings/Audio Output, I've set:
eARC mode: auto
Dolby Digital Plus output: Dolby Digital Plus
Pass through mode: auto

No Success.

I posting here on the off-chance that someone maybe able to suggest something I might have missed ?

Thanks in advance
chambeaj

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Go for app only mode:
Turn off personalization on Google TV - Google TV Help

Guys I’m looking for some advice, because my space(see below the gap is 13cm) for a receiver is quite limited I’m looking for a slim line receiver does anyone have any recommendations
B116EF5D-AEF9-4276-8731-BF87404A44FD.jpeg

Guys I’m looking for some advice, because my space(see below the gap is 13cm) for a receiver is quite limited I’m looking for a slim line receiver does anyone have any recommendations
View attachment 1512317
yamaha, denon marantz etc all do a low profile one, they are around 11cm..
may get toasty though :D

435 x 111 x 328 mm

With my set,if I use YouTube, Prime,Atv it still may crash and end up at the Google home menu.

Was watching Aquaman last night on the Atv app,was going through picture settings and got booted to home menu.

Odd times it has just went into Standby just playing around with the TV as you usually would do.

Had no real issues with the actual apps other than HDR on youtube

Can be pretty much anything that causes to crash and go to home. Even while using the usb :suicide: :suicide::suicide:. Reminds me of the issues with the ZD9 but nowhere near as bad

With my set,if I use YouTube, Prime,Atv it still may crash and end up at the Google home menu.

Was watching Aquaman last night on the Atv app,was going through picture settings and got booted to home menu.

Odd times it has just went into Standby just playing around with the TV as you usually would do.

Can be pretty much anything that causes to crash and go to home. Even while using the usb :suicide: :suicide::suicide:. Reminds me of the issues with the ZD9 but nowhere near as bad
You don't paint a pretty picture there :rotfl::laugh:
Nice and honest though :smoke::smoke::smoke::love:

Cheers dude, glad to get the feedback and helps to set my expectations (low).

You don't paint a pretty picture there :rotfl::laugh:
Nice and honest though :smoke::smoke::smoke::love:
Ha the way I make it sound , that it's total crap but theirs far more positives than negatives, but who wants to seen another HDR pic of a lizard for the 4000 time:laugh:

Last edited:
Ha the way I make it sound ,it's total crap but theirs far more positives than negatives, but who wanna see another HDR pic of a lizard for the 4000 time:laugh:
but but but jk from YouTube

Ha the way I make it sound ,it's total crap but theirs far more positives than negatives, but who wanna see another HDR pic of a lizard for the 4000 time:laugh:

Nah it's all good, I'd rather warts and all than "it's the best TV evs, another league!!!" that you usually get at the start of the return window.

The AF9 was very much like this with crashes and various issues with apps etc. Most of the problems have been sorted out and rarely any problems now, though it took some time and several updates. It does still have a few though, iPlayer has this odd thing like it's slightly zoomed in so it cuts part of the picture off, for example. Even after all this time Sony are still supporting the TV with updates where most companies would have dropped support by now, so there is that.

The AF9 was very much like this with crashes and various issues with apps etc. Most of the problems have been sorted out and rarely any problems now. It does still have a few though, iPlayer has this odd thing like it's slightly zoomed in so it cuts part of the picture off, for example. Even after all this time Sony are still supporting the TV with updates where most companies would have dropped support by now so there is that.

That's really good to know, thanks.

Have faith (and quite a lot of patience) and you will be rewarded (mostly) eventually. It will be much better in 12 months time, I'm sure of it.

FWIW, I finally hit 100 hours on my 65A90J, and have noticed that i now have to set black level to 49 for both HDR and DV, because there is a slight glow with black. SDR remains fine at 50. D-Nice has noticed that too and adjusted his picture settings he posted to 50/49 for black level. So after about 100 hours pop in a UHD calibration disc and see if blacks remain black.

@cockneyboy there's talk over on the AVSForums that major stores in the US are receiving full inventory of the 83" A90J from the 31st of May onwards, so hopefully the UK won't be far behind.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom