Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

April just got a whole lot longer :(

Just phoned JL this morning to see when pre order from 8th march for 55” A90J might arrive!!
Got told no stock until May 3rd.... 😐
The goalposts a keepa moving!!
Its getting silly now!!

Looks like the only way I can keep my boy & wife happy is to go TV'less in my Office from the 21st April. Which is gonna be a nightmare for two weeks. I'll be like one of Joe Exotic's caged animals!!

got off the phone with JL

ok boys...mine is getting delivered tomorrow

...NOT...they were expecting a delivery this morning from Sony hasn't happened and has been pushed back a week to 19th April (and even then it might not turn up)...so we are at the mercy of Sony...god knows what the delay is...but we have to sit on our hands or bail for another set.

im just relaying the message back from the customer services staff which seems to differ depending on who you talk to

i'm going to wait....

got off the phone with JL

ok boys...mine is getting delivered tomorrow

...NOT...they were expecting a delivery this morning from Sony hasn't happened and has been pushed back a week to 19th April (and even then it might not turn up)...so we are at the mercy of Sony...god knows what the delay is...but we have to sit on our hands or bail for another set.

im just relaying the message back from the customer services staff which seems to differ depending on who you talk to

i'm going to wait....

Fingers crossed another week sees movement. I’m getting painting done over next few weeks so I don’t mind waiting

Fingers crossed another week sees movement. I’m getting painting done over next few weeks so I don’t mind waiting
You Sir, appear to be in the minority here. :laugh:

id love to know what the delay is though?

The earliest will will see this set is the 23rd as quoted by Sony.

The delay was a shipping issue.

id love to know what the delay is though?
Me too... No such delays in the US, Europe or any fudging where else for that matter.. Just the UK...!!!

Me too... No such delays in the US, Europe or any fudging where else for that matter.. Just the UK...!!!
Well they don’t seem to be in Ireland yet either. I’m guessing they were stuck behind that boat in the suez canal

This is the part of the email I had from Sony when I chased about the delay.

We received an email today from Sony, late morning, advising that A90j pre-order promotion has been extended to the 23rd April due to a minor delay to the initial shipment in to the country. There was no information on why the delay. The same email advises that Sony are intending to start shipping stock out to stores from the 23rd April

Last edited:
The earliest will will see this set is the 23rd as quoted by Sony.

The delay was a shipping issue.
That sounds about right.. US & Europe sets were put on freight tankers, the UK ones on dingy's & rowing boats.

Reading between the lines..I feels to me that it be delays at the borders since brexit ( remember that word?..as mainland Europe hasn't had the same problem

Reading between the lines..I feels to me that it be delays at the borders since brexit ( remember that word?..as mainland Europe hasn't had the same problem
Completely agree. Shipping and especially the Suez incident are being used as an excuse/cover story while our clueless customs try and work out what to do with a bunch of TV's originating from a Japanese company for the first time since Brexit was passed through.

For all we know, they've been sat in a shipping container in Southampton for a month with paperwork and all sorts of incompetent nonsense going back and forth between the port and HMRC.

This is getting really annoying. The total lack of concrete info is a joke

If or when we do eventually get these bloomin sets!! What's everyone's first watch going to be?
Movie, TV Series, Game, Sport?

Mine will probably be one of my go-to 1080p Blu-Ray's played from my DP-UB820 4K player. Most likely something like Baraka (1992). Really want to see this thing of beauty upscaled to 4K and what the A90J brings to it in terms of motion, clarity etc via the XR processing.

Then will probably be in this order afterwards...

Sport (Premier League Football match) from SkyQ Upscaled
Streaming Dolby Vision Content (Netflix/Disney+)
UHD/HDR/Dolby Atmos 4K Blu-Ray

Flippin wait is getting more and more painful...!!

Intrigued to try the Bravia streaming service. Not thinking about it though, this shambles is starting to really irritate me now

If or when we do eventually get these bloomin sets!! What's everyone's first watch going to be?

Mine will probably be one of my go-to 1080p Blu-Ray's played from my DP-UB820 4K player. Most likely something like Baraka (1992). Really want to see this thing of beauty upscaled to 4K and what the A90J brings to it in terms of motion, clarity etc via the XR processing.

Intrigued to try the Bravia streaming service. Not thinking about it though, this shambles is starting to really irritate me now
LIke Most people i have access to netflix, amazon, disney, sky Q ,4k bluray...i will be trying everything...

after i have tested for DSE, banding, screen uniformity, near black performance, before this bad boy goes on the wall...i fear the A90J has become like a unicorn in the UK lol..it doesn't existence

LIke Most people i have access to netflix, disney, sky Q ,4k bluray...i will be trying everything...

after i have tested for DSE, banding, screen uniformity, near black performance, before this bad boy goes on the wall...i fear the A90J has become like a unicorn in the UK lol..it doesn't existence
I see, a little like me, you're coming from a backlit LCD/LED panel there gp. Although a Premium Panasonic one rather than my low to mid-range LG one.

You and I should, in theory, be bowled over by differences seen across the board.

I'm going watch :-
How to train your dragon -
the first one has some real dark scenery and want see the details more.

Pacific rim-
Like the film and hope oled brings a bit more depth to blacks and colour.

Game of thrones-
Again some the episodes are really dark and want to see how it copes.

Star wars - I want see the difference apparently you can see more stars on a oled.

Aquamarine-
Again it's mean to be great detail and a great colour.

inside out-
it's meant to have have great colour volume

Harrypotter Collection.

F1 drive to surviva.
Again meant be great colour.

Maybe
Justice league.
Wonder woman
Godzilla vs Kong
Stargate I have a 1080p 10bit version.
Transformers again I have 4k 10bit version.

Alot of this with be streamed via my nvidia shield pro. Through my amp. Only ps5 going connect to TV directly. I'm also going re watch Disney+ and other ntflix stuff see what difference I can see. And maybe look at bravia core items. But I've already got the spider ma's set on 4k. Got with spider man game from amazon.

Last edited:
I'm going watch :-
How to train your dragon -
the first one has some real dark scenery and want see the details more.

Game of thrones-
Again some the episodes are really dark and want to see how it copes.

Star wars - I want see the difference apparently you can see more stars on a oled.

Aquamarine-
Again it's mean to be great detail and a great colour.

inside out-
it's meant to have have great colour volume

Harrypotter Collection.

F1 drive to surviva.
Again meant be great colour.

Maybe
Justice league.
Wonder woman
Godzilla vs Kong
Stargate I have a 1080p 10bit version.
Transformers again I have 4k 10bit version.

Alot of this with be streamed via my nvidia shield pro. Through my amp. Only ps5 going connect to TV directly.
Good to see you also have an Nvidia Shield Pro... Been loving mine since I got it a few weeks back, but still feel it's not really reaching its max potential connected to my lame LG LCD.

Oh yeah... Bravia Core, that too...

I have a new custom-built TV unit and a bunch of certified HDMI 2.1 cables that have been doing nothing but gathering dust for neon 6 weeks now!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good to see you also have an Nvidia Shield Pro... Been loving mine since I got it a few weeks back, but still feel it's not really reaching its max potential connected to my lame LG LCD.
I've been a nvidia fan since 2015 got first one its played anything I've thrown at it. I love spmc and mrmc. For streaming on my network. I've got a high end Samsung from 2018. Tbh the backs are awful and really getting on my nerves. Also hope the VRR and ALLM gets update soon.

Just got back from JL to see the A90J predecessor in person as can't say I have had a proper look a Sony OLED before. I spoke to the Sony rep and he said the only one in the country is a pre-production model used at a trade show in January and that they are expecting to have a demonstrator in store from the middle of May as they will fulfill pre-orders first. This checks out with the end of April narrative that they seem to be peddling right now...

Hurry Up GIF

Is that on the TV already? And provides options to change the HDR / ISF Night Day settings?
On the AF9 you downloaded the Bravia app from the store. Not sure how it works with Google though. I guess the same way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom