Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

XmidniteX

I’ve just signed up to Bravia core. New Spider-Man in imax enhanced I’ve purchased and once upon a time in Hollywood was the other one. Still got 8 credits to go 😆

Cheep

Standard Member
I'll chime in first and I'm certain others will...

Re point one, I occupy a similar size living room to yours, ours is actually 3 metre x 4 metre and like you, I sit approximately 2.5 metres or less from the TV. A 65" would be too intimidating in our living room plus it's nigh on a grand more, I couldn't find the extra and definitely wouldn't be able to stand the nagging about the size (it's a theme in our relationship:laugh:).

And seeing as you've got Sky Q, the further you sit from HD content, the better. If you were to literally watch only 4K UHD content all day long, maybe you would enjoy and benefit from the bigger screen whilst being so close to it.

View attachment 1509679

Actually, here's some reading on it.

That said, what you see is only ever as good as your eyesight:).

Sure somebody else can advise you on the soundbar as I myself enjoy a 5.2.2 surround set-up.

Re the Sony bracket, it is WAY over priced IMO. It does look great and I love the idea of the flush fit. Somebody here got it for £175 and is very happy with it.

However, if you put the model number into Amazon, they offer you this as an alternative. At a fifth of the price, I think it is a better buy.

Re iPlayer. That is able to be side-loaded. You can watch it via Sky Q as you mention but, any apps you use via Sky Q means you're not getting the best out of your TV. With regard iPlayer, that means losing out on HLG HDR content, with Disney+ you lose Dolby Vision etc, etc.

If you're not overly confident about side-loading apps, stick with Sky Q for now or purchase a third party dedicated streamer until iPlayer arrives. I would do as you have been doing and use the TV's built-in apps and put the money you save towards your bracket.
Hi Barney, thank you so much for the detailed reply.. yes, I fear the ‘size’ question/issue is universal when it comes to the other half, just got to convince her… ‘It’s normal’🤣.

Cheep

Standard Member
Hello Cheep!

1. I sit just over that at 2.7m from a new 65". I cannot stress enough how much of a difference it's made over my older 55"... I figured everything would look softer being bigger, but it actually feels sharper due to more obvious small details in pretty much all HD and 4K content. This caught me by surprise, but I absolutely love it. The extra immersion that comes from covering more of your field-of-view is something I really underestimated and now adore... I would find it very hard to go back. Personally I don't find it too big, and would encourage you to try the 65" if you can for the same gains as above... you can always swap it for a 55" if you find it too daunting, especially with JL.

4. No one knows unfortunately, but knowing Sony's update timings + that this is likely a last-minute licensing issue, realistically it could be some time. If you have a streaming box, like Apple TV, FireTV etc these can stand in place of native TV apps for now (with the exception of iPlayer HLG streams - I am not sure if there's a streamer capable of these, perhaps someone else can enlighten us both).

I don't have anything to say about points 2 and 3 I'm afraid, but good luck with your viewing and hopeful purchase, whatever size you go for! 👍🏻
Hi Doctor B,
Thanks also for the reply. Yep, like you say I can always take it back to JL if an issue. Just gotta butter up the wife!🧈

Cheep

Standard Member
I also vote for the 820, I also used to have the Sony and drove me nuts changing DV all the time. Now I just stick a movie in and enjoy.

That was me, I do feel it’s over priced but it does sit very close to the wall and makes it very easy to pull away from the wall to get to any cables. If you go for the Sony Bracket I would wait for a sale.
Thanks Steve, I feel I may not have the time to wait for the sale as it needs to go on the wall ASAP as I don’t want my 5yr old anywhere near it😜

Cheep

Standard Member
Those of you looking for a better priced wall mount, consider Vogels Thin 505. I have my 65AF9 mounted on one and they are great. Good price, have a service position with legs that pop out when you pull the bottom of the TV out from the wall to access sockets etc. Easy to install and they also do other designs if you want tilt, full motion and so on. I bought mine on Amazon and it was cheaper at the time so some deals may be available.

Been keeping up with the thread here from the beginning and considering a 83" A90J later in the year. I'd like to see if the 83" has any uniformity, tint or grid issues etc. Been wondering whether to grab a 77" AG9 since the price is really good but really want the 2.1 features for PS5. I'm happy enough with my AF9 panel, picture quality and brightness of it anyway so it's really just for the 2.1 and the panel led DV etc but any other improvements that come with it are obviously welcome too. Maybe it will all be sorted along with the apps by the time I'm ready to buy. Possibly a decent price drop if I wait long enough. Interesting reading all the owners reviews and particularly those coming from the AF9 to the A90J.
Thanks for the bracket update 👍🏻

Barney Gumble

I looked at them but thought the the quality of the films and sound might be a bit low compared to 4k discs. I look at harrypotter set. But for a little more can get 4k discs so going get them.
Yer, I'm with you, I love hard copies.

I've compared streaming to a hard copy and just prefer what I see and hear.

Plus, I've a big collection of blu-rays and a swelling collection of 4K UHD discs I'm not willing to give up on.

If you're after HP on 4K UHD disc, I picked mine up from The Entertainment Store via eBay. They periodically reduce the price to £60, even less sometimes.

The next time I see it that price, I shall try to remember to give you a nudge.

IL Cattivo

Hi Barney, thank you so much for the detailed reply.. yes, I fear the ‘size’ question/issue is universal when it comes to the other half, just got to convince her… ‘It’s normal’🤣.
Cheep, let me tell you from personal experience..

I fought tooth and nail for about 10 years to get a 55" screen or larger for the lounge and the wife would have none of it.

So I said to her, ok, I'll get my own TV for the office/man cave and it'll be whatever size I deem fit for the room. I told her not long after that I was gonna go for a 65". She said I was mad.

Since the 65A90J arrived and it's been up and running, she's been going on and on at me that she wants it in the lounge!!

:facepalm:

We'll tough shizzle love, you made yer bed... now you can sleep in it.

Barney Gumble

I fought tooth and nail for about 10 years to get a 55" screen or larger for the lounge and the wife would have none of it.

So I said to her, ok, I'll get my own TV for the office/man cave and it'll be whatever size I deem fit for the room. I told her not long after that I was gonna go for a 65". She said I was mad.

Since the 65A90J arrived and it's been up and running, she's been going on and on at me that she wants it in the lounge!!

Brave, aren't we, knowing they're unlikely to read any of this:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Cheep

Standard Member

I have an old Panasonic 32 LCD (about 10cm thick) she can have if she likes… ha ha (to be fair to her she is more than happy with 55 but I think the extra 1k for the 65 seems excessive… which I kinda agree with but I’m going with the ‘we’ve been thru lock down.. we should treat ourselves’ (meaning I), etc. She will probably win though 😂

Geesus

Woof, I've just had a look in the uniformity thread on AVS and even with a slight pink tint it is remarkably clean compared to those there. I'm still not sure if it isn't uneven light shining through onto the screen causing it, as I haven't had a chance to try it in total darkness (I go to bed when it is light out this time of year - boo) but no chance am I risking swapping this out, considering I only see it on the Xbox dash and not in content, and this is the first OLED I've owned with zero vertical bands.

95% happy with this panel.

wxman2003

if you have the Panasonic 820/9000, there is no reason to use the HDR Optimizer if you set the A90J to gradient preferred for HDR. Using HDR Optimizer plus gradient preferred with the few movies that get above 1000 nits, actually dims the screen a bit. So I leave HDR Optimizer off now. You are applying tone mapping on top of the tv's tone mapping.

Barney Gumble

if you have the Panasonic 820/9000, there is no reason to use the HDR Optimizer if you set the A90J to gradient preferred for HDR. Using HDR Optimizer plus gradient preferred with the few movies that get above 1000 nits, actually dims the screen a bit. So I leave HDR Optimizer off now. You are applying tone mapping on top of the tv's tone mapping.

UltiResis

This HDR Optimiser option on the 820, this is the first I've heard of it... I have the 820 and there is no HDR optimiser option that I can see. Where is this option?

Anyone know how would that work with the AF9 as opposed to the A90J? There is a 'smooth gradation' setting on the AF9 but no 'gradient preferred'. What settings should be used or not on the 820 and AF9 with respect to this?

Barney Gumble

This HDR Optimiser option on the 820... I have the 820 and there is no HDR optimiser option that I can see. Where is this option?

Anyone know how would that work with the AF9 as opposed to the A90J? There is a 'smooth gradation' setting on the AF9 but no 'gradient preferred'. What settings should be used or not?
When you start playing an HDR10 disc, hit the option button on the remote and then you'll be presented with the option of HDR optimiser but, the HDR Gradation feature of the A90J negates the need for it.

Last edited:

UltiResis

When you start playing an HDR10 disc, hit the option button on the remote and then you'll be presented with the option of HDR optimiser but, the HDR Gradation feature of the A90J negates the need for it.
Thanks Barny, that explains why I don't see it in the 820 settings.

Just need to know about how this works on the AF9 now then.

XmidniteX

Been watching Spider-Man in UHD via sky Q. Really enjoyed it. Started watching it on Bravia core as it’s imax enhanced. All needs a retweek settings wise. Colours all blown out. Over saturated. Way to smooth with movement where it looks fake (am I making sense?)

Barney Gumble

Been watching Spider-Man in UHD via sky Q. Really enjoyed it. Started watching it on Bravia core as it’s imax enhanced. All needs a retweek settings wise. Colours all blown out. Over saturated. Way to smooth with movement where it looks fake (am I making sense?)
I myself haven't played anything in IMAX yet but, did you opt for the IMAX preset when watching via Bravia Core?

Just curious.

It would appear a pointless preset, if it isn't enhanced for that content and needs big adjustments.

wxman2003

Imax enhanced is just a gimmick. It's just HDR picture mode with live color set to medium and smoothness set to 2, plus a few other settings are changed. It looks better if i just switch it the Custom picture mode I use for HDR discs. There really is no standard for Imax enhanced. It's just a made up picture mode. So I don't use it with Bravia Core movies.

Barney Gumble

Imax enhanced is just a gimmick. It's just HDR picture mode with live color set to medium and smoothness set to 2, plus a few other settings are changed. It looks better if i just switch it the Custom picture mode I use for HDR discs. There really is no standard for Imax enhanced. It's just a made up picture mode.
I didn't know this, thanks. Saves me even more tinkering and keeps the threat of being abused by the remote via my wife at bay.

ukjackbauer

Sorry if this is an echo (echo, echo) - I did do a thread search but couldn't find it.

Is there any fix (or one on the horizon) for the sound cutting out every 10-15 seconds when passing through Dolby Digital / DTS with a 120hz signal?

(I'm using optical - but I believe the same thing happens using ARC or eARC.)

If not, as much as the motion handling makes me want to shed a happy tear, I can't keep it...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Harman Luxury Audio Group releases updated MusicLife app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library