Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Unlike some on here, my home internet is a speed of only max 32Mb/s so while the TV ethernet is maxxed out at 100Mb/s, that doesn't affect me as such.
So i have used a wired ethernet cable to the TV. I have a Roku 4K stick plugged into HDMI 4 which of course uses the wireless signal.
My question is, Is there any point to the Roku stick anymore, when (apart from the UK catch up apps for now) nearly all the apps on it are now on the TV.....Apple/Disney/Netflix/Amazon/NOW.
So for those apps in particular, am I better off using the tv apps, and is wireless for the TV a better option?

Plus the fact, that NOW on the Roku stick is just so slow and keeps saying "There is a problem with the player":mad:

I have the 65" A90J. I found that when watching a widescreen B&W movie the left side of the screen grey scale is cool while the right side is warm. This discoloration become extremely noticeable depending on the picture content. It is not noticeable during color presentations. I went to Youtube for HD Test Patterns and found a full screen white. This shows the pannel difference more. I was told this happens when a Dolby Vision Blu-ray is played - it's a by product of Dolby not sending Sony a patch. I was also told to unplug the TV, disconnect all HDMI, turn the TV on and do a Factory Reset, then turn the TV off, then on. It worked and the picture problem disappeared. However it came back - I redid the factory re-set but now it doesn't work. No reviewer mentioned this. No reviewer probably played an all white picture or widescreen B&W film either. Is there a panel issue? I want to exchange the TV before my time runs out.
Thanks.

Just set up a new google account, made it the family owner, added my main account and the wifes under the family members..
Logged into vpn with the new account via Argentina, signed into youtube and upgraded to a family premium account for £1.39 a month with 1 month free trial..
My main account and the wifes were also instantly updated to premium as part of the big happy Argentinian family :D :D :D

Keeps our main accounts that have purchases on it nice and safe also :love:
How did you get it for 1.39 a month? When I connect via Argentina it’s 7.45 usd for 5 family members ?

How did you get it for 1.39 a month? When I connect via Argentina it’s 7.45 usd for 5 family members ?
Not sure, does you bank maybe charge a fee for a foreign transaction along with a currency conversion fee? Mine wasn't in USD either so maybe you don't have the vpn set up right or something?

Not sure, does you bank maybe charge a fee for a foreign transaction along with a currency conversion fee? Mine wasn't in USD either so maybe you don't have the vpn set up right or something?
I used an older gmail maybe you need a new one?

I used an older gmail maybe you need a new one?
nah mine was actually an ancient one i made years ago that I no longer use.. must be well over 10 years old.

Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 18.13.34.png

Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 18.15.22.png

So, far today, I've watched Cloverfield on 4K disc, Dead Pool on 4K disc, Oblivion on blu-ray and True Romance on blu-ray, all via a Panasonic UB820.

As you can imagine, the 4K discs look good. I expected them to do so in HDR but, the combination of the UB820 and the A90J when playing blu-rays and the upscaling, it is incredible. Really impressive.

One thing I have noticed, previously when playing HDR10 discs via the UB820, I did employ the HDR optimiser. Combined with the A90J, you don't need to enable HDR gradation on the TV as well, it's one or the other. You lose specular highlight detail if both are engaged as one negates the other.

After some trial and error, I disabled the HDR optimiser on the UB820 and feel it looked better for it, all the detail came back with HDR gradation engaged on the TV instead.

Anybody that owns either the Panny UB820 or UB9000 should experiment for themselves. I thought it might be helpful to bring it to the attention of owners of these respective players.

I've had my way all day, now I'm off to do the washing up whilst the other 'arf watches Mamma bloomin' Mia.

So, far today, I've watched Cloverfield on 4K disc, Dead Pool on 4K disc, Oblivion on blu-ray and True Romance on blu-ray, all via a Panasonic UB820.

As you can imagine, the 4K discs look good. I expected them to do so in HDR but, the combination of the UB820 and the A90J when playing blu-rays and the upscaling, it is incredible. Really impressive.

One thing I have noticed, previously when playing HDR10 discs via the UB820, I did employ the HDR optimiser. Combined with the A90J, you don't need to enable HDR gradation on the TV as well, it's one or the other. You lose specular highlight detail if both are engaged as one negates the other.

After some trial and error, I disabled the HDR optimiser on the UB820 and feel it looked better for it, all the detail came back with HDR gradation engaged on the TV instead.

Anybody that owns either the Panny UB820 or UB9000 should experiment for themselves. I thought it might be helpful to bring it to the attention of owners of these respective players.

I've had my way all day, now I'm off to do the washing up whilst the other 'arf watches Mamma bloomin' Mia.
Me me me... I have this combo Barney, and this is just the sort of info that I love to see. Awesome stuff fella. I am fairly new to the UB820, so am still getting used to the settings. Always wondered, like my Shield, which device should be doing the upscaling for Blu-Rays / 1080p content along with HDR handling for 4K content and have had concerns over whether one would be cancelling out the other in certain area's that degrades the actual output.

Would obviously welcome your tried and tested settings for both devices for each scenario :smashin:
i.e.
Blu-Ray Upscaling
&
HDR 4k Discs

Gouwd bless these forums and their members. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Me me me... I have this combo Barney, and this is just the sort of info that I love to see. Awesome stuff fella. I am fairly new to the UB820, so am still getting used to the settings. Always wondered, like my Shield, which device should be doing the upscaling for Blu-Rays / 1080p content along with HDR handling for 4K content and have had concerns over whether one would be cancelling out the other in certain area's that degrades the actual output.

Would obviously welcome your tried and tested settings for both devices for each scenario :smashin:
i.e.
Blu-Ray Upscaling
&
HDR 4k Discs

Gouwd bless these forums and their members. :thumbsup:
I knew you had it mate, I was hoping you'd see the post, as well as anyone else of course that has either of the two Panny's with the HDR optimiser feature on-board.

So, if you've not enabled it already, when playing a HDR disc, grab the blu-ray player's remote and hit the option button, I think the first option is sound, scroll down one menu to picture settings and if you've put a HDR10 disc in the spinner, you'll see the option to enable the HDR optimiser.

Try it with it on but, be certain to first ensure you've disabled HDR Gradation on the TV under picture settings. Then go back and forth, disabling the optimiser on the player and enabling the HDR Gradation on the TV.

I suggest try it with a disc during an explosion or fire or similar. I saw the difference and was testing during the opening highway scene of Dead Pool.

I preferred the detail retained or highlighted when using the TV's HDR Gradation but, you'll have to see for yourself.

There's nothing to be done with regard upscaling, it's all done behind the scenes automatically:).

I thought the C9 was good at upscaling but, what the A90J does, from what I've seen yesterday and today when playing blu-rays via the UB820, it is amazing.

Edit; actually @IL Cattivo you need to check a couple of settings on the UB820, be sure to enable Dolby Vision and disable HR10+ and under advanced settings you need to toggle HDR TV type to read OLED, in case you haven't already.

Last edited:
I knew you had it mate, I was hoping you'd see the post, as well as anyone else of course that has either of the two Panny's with the HDR optimiser feature on-board.

So, if you've not enabled it already, when playing a HDR disc, grab the blu-ray player's remote and hit the option button, I think the first option is sound, scroll down one menu to picture settings and if you've put a HDR10 disc in the spinner, you'll see the option to enable the HDR optimiser.

Try it with it on but, be certain to first ensure you've disabled HDR Gradation on the TV under picture settings. Then go back and forth, disabling the optimiser on the player and enabling the HDR Gradation on the TV.

I suggest try it with a disc during an explosion or fire or similar. I saw the difference and was testing during the opening highway scene of Dead Pool.

I preferred the detail retained or highlighted when using the TV's HDR Gradation but, you'll have to see for yourself.

There's nothing to be done with regard upscaling, it's all done behind the scenes automatically:).

I thought the C9 was good at upscaling but, what the A90J does, from what I've seen yesterday and today when playing blu-rays via the UB820, it is amazing.
Can't thank you enough for that info mate. Appreciate it. Will give it a go real soon.

Would I be right in saying that the love is starting to come back for the A90J chap? :)

Can't thank you enough for that info mate. Appreciate it. Will give it a go real soon.

Would I be right in saying that the love is starting to come back for the A90J chap? :)
I just added an edit to the bottom of my last post, you best just double check those settings too mate.

If I could only watch 4K discs and blu rays all day, I wouldn't watch anything else, it is a dream combo, the UB820 and the A90J.

I just added an edit to the bottom of my last post, you best just double check those settings too mate.
Thanks bud, those two settings were actually ones I recently discovered but weren't correct on mine, up until earlier this week when I changed them to those very ones.

So, if memory serves correct, if like the SkyQ box and Shield you set those to think that the display attached is a HD panel, then when playing Blu-Rays or 1080 content that's the signal that gets passed to the TV and the A90J does all the upscaling work, however if you set the SKYQ and Shield display options to 4K then and play the same content then its the external devices that process the upscaling locally and pass that to the A90J.

So I guess where I am going with this is... Can you trick the UB820 (which I know is a native 4K player) into thinking it is connected to a 1080 display, thus when playing BR's it sends that signal natively for the A90J to process the upscaling alone.

Hope that made sense?

Thanks bud, those two settings were actually ones I recently discovered but weren't correct on mine, up until earlier this week when I changed them to those very ones.

So, if memory serves correct, if like the SkyQ box and Shield you set those to think that the display attached is a HD panel, then when playing Blu-Rays or 1080 content that's the signal that gets passed to the TV and the A90J does all the upscaling work, however if you set the SKYQ and Shield display options to 4K then and play the same content then its the external devices that process the upscaling locally and pass that to the A90J.

So I guess where I am going with this is... Can you trick the UB820 (which I know is a native 4K player) into thinking it is connected to a 1080 display, thus when playing BR's it sends that signal natively for the A90J to process the upscaling alone.

Hope that made sense?
I know what you mean but, the UB820 and the hard format of a disc is a constant in bitrates and not as poor a source as the likes of Sky Q.

So, you can confidently change the settings we've discussed, which you've already done, and experiment with the HDR Gradation on the TV and the HDR optimiser on the player.

Once you've decided on that, no need to concern yourself with changing outputs and resolutions - set it and forget it, job done.

Sit back and enjoy. Dead Pool and Edge of Tomorrow are a must. True Romance is amazing but, I'm completely biased and love the film.

Tomorrow, I plan on watching Hacksaw Ridge... after Spurs smash Leeds, I hope🎣

@Barney Gumble True Romance is actually a film I have been putting off re-watching for years until I got a decent TV upgrade. It's high up on my list these days though. :smashin: Love me some Christopher Walken.

Thanks again matey and enjoy the rest of the evening/weekend.

Does anyone here get the venetian blind effect on there sets?? I seem to get it when I go into some menus it shows up. Well I only noticed it in 2 menus,one was on the xbsx when playing Creed origins and it showed up on the menu there,and saw it on another menu which I forgot where.

Only saw it on 2 menus so far so not really bothered about it,but rather not have it than have it

@Barney Gumble True Romance is actually a film I have been putting off re-watching for years until I got a decent TV upgrade. It's high up on my list these days though. :smashin: Love me some Christopher Walken.

Thanks again matey and enjoy the rest of the evening/weekend.

You might want to wait on True Romance. A new 4K remaster is due out soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom