Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Doctor Bravestone

Thanks @games133 and @Doctor Bravestone. Great to hear about the panel quality. I have a 6 year old LG and the yellow stain down the middle is one of the most irritating aspects of it, but honestly I've seen much newer OLEDs that are as bad or worse.

Regards audio adjustment, the "delay the picture", i.e. negative adjustment on the sound is quite key because my amp adds 50ms audio delay as a minimum, and sometimes more. Had I known this, I may not have bought it, but having paid £4k for the thing I am kind of stuck with it. So I need the TV to add zero, or ideally less than zero audio delay, otherwise the lip sync error makes it unwatchable.
If the amp adds 50ms by itself, but the TV has 85ms of lag anyway… do you not just add 35ms to equalise them?
Do you mind if I ask what you have your brightness set at for SDR please @wxman2003 ?

I've been experimenting with different material most of the day. At first I was sold on it being set at 40, then tried 35 which I felt is a little too dark. I reckon ideally it should be somewhere in between possibly but, no higher than 40.

I can't remember the figure that broadcast SDR material is mastered in, is it something like a 100nits? Maybe somebody better informed knows.

I'm curious to know the measurement in nits of the brightness with it set at 40.

@Doctor Bravestone if I were to tell you what I've disabled under 'custom', would you be kind enough to please correct me if I've disabled something in error thinking it is adding processing to the image or is actually detrimental to the PQ?

Ambient light sensor = off

Brightness = 40

Reality Creation = off

Smooth gradation = off

Motionflow = off

Film mode = Low

Anything else not mentioned hasn't been adjusted and obviously for streaming apps Film mode = High.

I appreciate anybodies input in fact, I don't wish to monopolise your time Mr Bravestone:).
SDR is usually mastered to 100nits, but this is mainly for movies. In the kind of TV I work in, this kind of depth is largely ignored. When I get around to calibrating I can let you know the values from mine. :)

Settings look good, though personally I do like a little Reality Creation (15 for me) and there’s is no harm leaving Smooth Gradation on Low to smooth out posterisation (though turn it off for Dolby Vision).

Did you get a chance to try out the Peak Luminance setting?

Barney Gumble

If the amp adds 50ms by itself, but the TV has 85ms of lag anyway… do you not just add 35ms to equalise them?

SDR is usually mastered to 100nits, but this is mainly for movies. In the kind of TV I work in, this kind of depth is largely ignored.

Settings look good, though personally I do like a little Reality Creation (15 for me) and there’s is no harm leaving Smooth Gradation on Low to smooth out posterisation (though turn it off for Dolby Vision).

Did you get a chance to try out the Peak Luminance setting?
I am so sorry chap, I've just re-read your first post to me today that explains the difference in increments between the two manufacturers, I do apologise for not reading that properly. Helps me get a feeling for where I am now.

I'll try high peak luminance and brightness lower than 40 tomorrow. With leak luminance on medium, the brightness looks best at 40 or literally just below but for now I've left it on 40.

Thanks for your replies, have a good night :thumbsup:.

scottjyoung

Glad to hear most people are happy with their sets. Got mine on the 27th but didn't get it set up till the Friday. Have got about 25 hours on it and pretty happy so far.

The good:
No banding
No grid that I can see
Bright

The not so good
Some minor tinting but not visible in most content.

I've got an i1 Display Pro meter and I took some measurements using the Out of Box settings:

HDR10 10% window 850 nits using colour mode Expert 1
Dolby Vision 10% window 815 nits in Expert 1
Full screen white 180 nits

The out of box white point is a bit blue on my set so calibrating it to D65 would bring those nits figures down a bit but still if I get the increase in brightness that's been reported by others between 100 and 200 hours on top of what I have, I'll be delighted.

Am happy with SDR and HDR10 out of the box but might give the d-nice Dolby Vision settings a go until ready to calibrate it at 200 hours.

gaulty87

Standard Member
Glad to hear most people are happy with their sets. Got mine on the 27th but didn't get it set up till the Friday. Have got about 25 hours on it and pretty happy so far.

The good:
No banding
No grid that I can see
Bright

The not so good
Some minor tinting but not visible in most content.

I've got an i1 Display Pro meter and I took some measurements using the Out of Box settings:

HDR10 10% window 850 nits using colour mode Expert 1
Dolby Vision 10% window 815 nits in Expert 1
Full screen white 180 nits

The out of box white point is a bit blue on my set so calibrating it to D65 would bring those nits figures down a bit but still if I get the increase in brightness that's been reported by others between 100 and 200 hours on top of what I have, I'll be delighted.

Am happy with SDR and HDR10 out of the box but might give the d-nice Dolby Vision settings a go until ready to calibrate it at 200 hours.
What are people getting after 100 or 200 hours nits wise. I would love to know what happens to the pixels when there new and get used

scottjyoung

What are people getting after 100 or 200 hours nits wise. I would love to know what happens to the pixels when there new and get used
Not sure about specific figures but d-nice and jrref are both reporting increases in brightness as the panels break in.

D-nice is reporting over 900 nits calibrated on his set but that is using his secret sauce calibration method that he's eventually going to share.

wxman2003

Do you mind if I ask what you have your brightness set at for SDR please @wxman2003 ?

I've been experimenting with different material most of the day. At first I was sold on it being set at 40, then tried 35 which I felt is a little too dark. I reckon ideally it should be somewhere in between possibly but, no higher than 40.

I can't remember the figure that broadcast SDR material is mastered in, is it something like a 100nits? Maybe somebody better informed knows.

I'm curious to know the measurement in nits of the brightness with it set at 40.

@Doctor Bravestone if I were to tell you what I've disabled under 'custom', would you be kind enough to please correct me if I've disabled something in error thinking it is adding processing to the image or is actually detrimental to the PQ?

Brightness = 40

Reality Creation = off

Smooth gradation = off

Motionflow = off

Film mode = Low

Anything else not mentioned hasn't been adjusted and obviously for streaming apps Film mode = High.

I appreciate anybodies input in fact, I don't wish to monopolise your time Mr Bravestone:).
D-Nice has his set to 42 for SDR. And that seems about right for me too.

Geesus

Once you unlock custom 1 and custom 2, you gain 20 point control for every picture mode including vivid. However, any 20 point adjustments you make in custom are then applied to all the picture modes. And then if you make an adjustment in standard for example, it applies to changes to all the other modes. Doesn't make sense, but any 20 point adjustment you make in any picture mode, becomes a universal change for all picture modes. The only thing that doesnt change is the CMS settings. At least with each picture mode you could have a different set of CMS values.
The 20-point adjustments are tied in to 'Expert 1' and 'Expert 2' in colour options (or brightness, wherever this option is) so your preset will have whichever you choose of these two options. This gives you the option of two sets of 20-point settings.

wxman2003

The 20-point adjustments are tied in to 'Expert 1' and 'Expert 2' in colour options (or brightness, wherever this option is) so your preset will have whichever you choose of these two options. This gives you the option of two sets of 20-point settings.
Thank you!

tobyadams

Just testing the 'OK Google' hands free voice function on the TV and it works really well, can turn tv on/off, change inputs etc.. all hands free.

Front mic indicator can be turned off in the settings, if you don't like that showing.

Funny thing is when you ask google asistant to 'turn the TV on', the on screen display message says 'turning tv off 'and says 'turning on', when you've ask to turn off lol 🤣
Anyone else find that sometimes it does a YouTube search for ‘turn the television off’?! ***

K0MP081

I’ve been playing with the internal apps, specifically Disney+ last night, in a pitch black room. Does anybody else find Dolby Vision dark completely flat on this app and find resorting to DV bright brings everything back to life?

An example of this is the final battle in Revenge of the Sith, which is a scene I have used on all my OLED sets for testing. The light sabres and sparks etc really have no pop at all unless I set DV bright, shadow detail is really lacking too.

I tried DV dark on Netflix and it’s what I expected for dark viewing and more like when it’s set to bright on Disney+

setting it to bright on Netflix is eye watering

wondering if it’s an app specific issue?

destroyer2a

Brightness = 40

Reality Creation = off

Smooth gradation = off

Motionflow = off

Film mode = Low

Peak luminance set to medium a brightness setting of 13 will result in 120 nits.

The d-nice settings for sdr has peak luminance set to off.

For daytime viewing with sunlight i raise brightness to 26.

All checked with i1display pro.

XmidniteX

Standard Member
Banding is probably LG's weakest area, trouble with the A90J is that the TV is also reducing resolution, like the XH90, but not as badly, also like the JS1500/2000 too, which Panasonic have admitted to.
This is interesting. But not the end of the world, turning HDR off when playing comp. ideally I’d like it all singing and all dancing. But since it’s just when running 120fps which currently only happens in certain parts of the game it’s fine.
Surely it has to be a firmware issue. I cern believe Sony, pushing HDMI 2.1 and 120hz console then fail on their first proper 120hz TV sets. Seems like a bit of a PR disaster.

XmidniteX

Standard Member
Congrats! They attempted to deliver mine yesterday but I wasn’t in. So had to rearrange for Monday. Watching on the security camera this guy walk up the drive with the tv over his shoulder, only to have to walk back down to the van with it to drive away... gutted.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Asking this again:

Are you able to bring up bit rate HUD on Apple TV and Disney+ apps?

-Hitman-

Anyone else find that sometimes it does a YouTube search for ‘turn the television off’?! ***

No issues here, works everytime. FYI, i just say Ok Google 'Turm tv off' and 'Turn tv on'.

shep1968

Hurrah, I’ve got permission to buy the 55” A90J. For a variety of reasons I’m going to get it from John Lewis. Does anybody know what the delay is from ordering one to getting it delivered please, I don’t want it delivered for a fortnight.

Ashy

Just spoke with Sony re: £100 google voucher. Now got to send (again) proof or purchase and take a photo of the service sticker behind the TV.

After I've done that I then need to split the atom and tell them in no more than 40 words the meaning of life. Once they have verified my proposal they said it can take up to 20 light years while it's processed then I should expect to get my voucher code which will be spread across 56 emails in no specific order. Once I've worked out what that is the advisor explained that I need to read back through every correspondence I've had with them taking no more than 2 letters per contact which will then make up the URL I need to go to for redeeming my voucher.

Will keep you updated.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Hurrah, I’ve got permission to buy the 55” A90J. For a variety of reasons I’m going to get it from John Lewis. Does anybody know what the delay is from ordering one to getting it delivered please, I don’t want it delivered for a fortnight.
If you join the AA there’s a fifty quid JL voucher on offer too. Only makes sense if anyone’s thinking about joing obviously.

Barney Gumble

I’ve been playing with the internal apps, specifically Disney+ last night, in a pitch black room. Does anybody else find Dolby Vision dark completely flat on this app and find resorting to DV bright brings everything back to life?

An example of this is the final battle in Revenge of the Sith, which is a scene I have used on all my OLED sets for testing. The light sabres and sparks etc really have no pop at all unless I set DV bright, shadow detail is really lacking too.

I tried DV dark on Netflix and it’s what I expected for dark viewing and more like when it’s set to bright on Disney+

setting it to bright on Netflix is eye watering

wondering if it’s an app specific issue?
'Yes' this is my observation too.

Why do they give you the option of DV day and night?! Why not just a less complicated and straight forward option for DV and have done with it.

Are you using Ethernet, USB adapter or Wi-Fi? I'm stuck on Ethernet at least until the weekend and we can try the USB adapter that everyone else is using but, I am definitely not getting either DV, Atmos or in some cases, both from content when it is clearly available.

Just what is going on with the Ethernet connection within the TV?! It's like it's being throttled, for no good reason.

#frustrating

games133

Just spoke with Sony re: £100 google voucher. Now got to send (again) proof or purchase and take a photo of the service sticker behind the TV.

After I've done that I then need to split the atom and tell them in no more than 40 words the meaning of life. Once they have verified my proposal they said it can take up to 20 light years while it's processed then I should expect to get my voucher code which will be spread across 56 emails in no specific order. Once I've worked out what that is the advisor explained that I need to read back through every correspondence I've had with them taking no more than 2 letters per contact which will then make up the URL I need to go to for redeeming my voucher.

Will keep you updated.
Ice just spoke to sony referring to the voucher. They passing the complaint to the department above again. I should hear something Friday if I don't or should I say when I don't ill want talk to complaints department.

shep1968

If you join the AA there’s a fifty quid JL voucher on offer too. Only makes sense if anyone’s thinking about joing obviously.
I’m already a member of the AA and am just about to renew. Is this on top of the £100 they are offering themselves?

K0MP081

'Yes' this is my observation too.

Why do they give you the option of DV day and night?! Why not just a less complicated and straight forward option for DV and have done with it.

Are you using Ethernet, USB adapter or Wi-Fi? I'm stuck on Ethernet at least until the weekend and we can try the USB adapter that everyone else is using but, I am definitely not getting either DV, Atmos or in some cases, both from content when it is clearly available.

Just what is going on with the Ethernet connection within the TV?! It's like it's being throttled, for no good reason.

#frustrating
I must admit, I preferred the Penny approach with Dolby Vision IQ as it was set and forget...

still, it’s seems to just be the app at fault here at least. My Apple TV box looks so washed out too due to the raised blacks but that’s another matter.

I’m using Ethernet and despite a setting on the audio side of things earlier on, I’ve had no problems streaming even on Bravia Core

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021