Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

clnthl

Interestingly it also says that there oh need to do it on the Sony offer app.

Doctor Bravestone

Talk to me about gaming please folks.
I own a PS5 and Series X and would love to know how people are finding this TV.
Not an online gamer just single player games such as TLOU, Resident Evil, Days Gone, GOT, God Of War and Returnal etc.
Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Simon.
Not much to say except everything looks amazing, works flawlessly and pops like crazy. There's a little dimming if static elements are on screen for too long (in HDR, or with high brightness SDR settings) to protect the panel from image retention but this is VASTLY improved vs A1E and AF9, to the point where it's barely noticeable (it's also FAR more responsive to come out of a dimmed state, meaning it rarely drops there anyway).

ALLM and VRR are not present yet but Sony promise to make them available later. Personally I don't see the huge attraction of ALLM, it's convenient yes but only if you use your console for multimedia... if you're just playing games, you just set the picture mode to Game on that input and you're done forever. VRR is more important but with little support in the console space right now, it's really not missing much (PC owners may feel differently what with their higher frame rates and penchant for numbers).

Hope that helps, can talk about gaming on this thing all day so shoot me any other questions if you have them! 👍🏻

Last edited:

games133

The latest response from Sony just a few moments ago....

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony TV, kindly note that we have passed your case to our relevant team for further investigation.
Kindly apply one working day for their feedback.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.
Thank you for your enquiry,
Sincerely,
Ebtehal

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en
DAJL5IPJ4rlIRLp-I88EJKOgBWjxpStAiOb1PXWPksRnxNNLmRdkbKZfk1YuMShKxoVak2Ved7vvwgLpnqQe8PIvxH5JgJtnRRP6zri6HNszTRGMeSZ3xBc=s0-d-e1-ft

Sony Europe B.V.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW, United Kingdom
Registered company number: 71682147
I've had that. And had aload of questions. Whitch only the device I'd is relevant. They meant be calling tomorrow the 5th.

Kindly note that we need the answers to the questions below in order to escalate the case:

1-What is the device ID? (please press on the help button on your remote control, you will find it in system information)
2- When has the issue started to occur?
3-How often does the issue occur?
4-What feature were you using when the issue happened?
5-Was the device working fine before?
6-are you using any external devices? If so, in which HDMI ports are they connected?

tobyadams

I've had that. And had aload of questions. Whitch only the device I'd is relevant. They meant be calling tomorrow the 5th.

Kindly note that we need the answers to the questions below in order to escalate the case:

1-What is the device ID? (please press on the help button on your remote control, you will find it in system information)
6-are you using any external devices? If so, in which HDMI ports are they connected?
What a shower

IL Cattivo

All of those questions = Completely Irrelevant!! :facepalm:

games133

All of those questions = Completely Irrelevant!! :facepalm:
Thsts what I said. But this is the reply I got.

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that we need this information to raise this case for a higher team for investigation as to know why exactly is the Sony registration application is not available on your TV.

JonnyMan

Standard Member
Thsts what I said. But this is the reply I got.

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that we need this information to raise this case for a higher team for investigation as to know why exactly is the Sony registration application is not available on your TV.
Maybe that's the issue here. We register as part of initial setup rather than through app on home screen as referenced in promo. Might be that they just aren't joined up or ready for the new way of doing things with Google TV. Complete farce

SteveLA

Maybe that's the issue here. We register as part of initial setup rather than through app on home screen as referenced in promo. Might be that they just aren't joined up or ready for the new way of doing things with Google TV. Complete farce

I can’t even see an app that you use to register?

Anybody know what app to use on the tv?

tobyadams

Registration is done during setup. If you skip it or don't complete it, I believe there is a link to complete it added to your home screen that then disappears once registration is complete.

-Hitman-

I think i registered mine during the initial Tv setup, can't remember if there was a specific registration app.

-Hitman-

FYI, New replacement tv comes next Tuesday, due to new stock arriving next week

Barney Gumble

Hello Mr Gumble! There's no exact right or wrong here as many argue the benefits of 2.2 vs 2.4 and vice versa.

On the Sonys, Gamma at 0 = 2.2 and -2 = 2.4, bizarre I know. Personally, I watch in a dark room and prefer -2 (2.4) for the extra contrast and pop it produces. You may prefer 0 (2.2) if you like a more even image, or indeed 0 works to retain more shadow and mids details in brighter conditions (during day time viewing, for example).

This gets muddied a little bit with HDR, as there isn't technically a gamma in HDR content... so the slider on the Sonys becomes a manipulative tool (but its there because of the way Sonys map their SDR configurations to HDR, mainly affect you if you calibrate). HDR content should have the gamma at 0 for correct tracking... fortunately the Sonys retain the different settings for SDR and HDR within the same picture mode when it comes to Gamma, so if you want dark room excellence set to -2 in SDR, and then 0 when feeding it and HDR signal and it will always change depending on source. :)

As for Colour, Expert 1 is the most accurate out of the box and closest to D65. In my preference any of the others are too blueish, but that's how I like my images (closest to creator's intent). The main advantage of Expert 1 is access to the 20pt calibration controls... I don't believe they are accessible in the non-Custom for Pro modes. As for "Warm 2", I'm guessing you mean that being the most accurate temperature on another brand (LG?), in which case, Expert 1 or 2 will match that as far as out of the box settings.

Hope that helps you sir! 👍🏻
Thank you for your considered reply.

'Yes' coming from an LG I wish the content to be as near as possible to as intended and so will stick with Expert1.

I experimented with the Gamma set on 0 and it doesn't look natural, is too bright.

However, coming from the LG C9, the OLED light on that can up to 100. I used to use isf Expert Dark Room preset and stuck with the OLED light on it's default of 60.

Under Custom on the A90J, the brightness is set at max. Assuming that to be the same setting, why is it set at max OOTB? It occurs to me, this is why Gamma 2.4 looks good with SDR content, even in our living room, because the OLED light is at it's maximum.

I think the brightness should be a 40ish.

I'm experimenting, trying to get the best out of the TV. I don't wish to use another panel's calibration settings as they are specific to that panel and doesn't correct errors on my own.

My gut feeling is the A90J isn't the marked improvement over the C9 I was hoping for and that fills me with guilt due to the outlay.

SteveLA

Registration is done during setup. If you skip it or don't complete it, I believe there is a link to complete it added to your home screen that then disappears once registration is complete.

I think i registered mine during the initial Tv setup, can't remember if there was a specific registration app.

I registered mine with my google account so done it again now with just my email, roll on tomorrow when I get my code. 😂

Doctor Bravestone

'Yes' coming from an LG I wish the content to be as near as possible to as intended and so will stick with Expert1.

I experimented with the Gamma set on 0 and it doesn't look natural, is too bright.

However, coming from the LG C9, the OLED light on that can up to 100. I used to use isf Expert Dark Room preset and stuck with the OLED light on it's default of 60.

Under Custom on the A90J, the brightness is set at max. Assuming that to be the same setting, why is it set at max OOTB? It occurs to me, this is why Gamma 2.4 looks good with SDR content, even in our living room, because the OLED light is at it's maximum.

I'm experimenting, trying to get the best out of the TV. I don't wish to use another panel's calibration settings as they are specific to that panel and doesn't correct errors on my own.

My gut feeling is the A90J isn't the marked improvement over the C9 I was hoping for and that fills me with guilt due to the outlay.
OLED Light on LGs = Brightness on Sonys.

Confusingly, there is an additional setting on Sonys called Peak Luminance, which is like a "cap" on the maximum light output from the Brightness setting. To match the way your LG worked, set Peak Luminance to High and then manipulate the Brightness setting as you would have OLED Light, except it moves in increments of 2 instead of 1 (Max/50 = 100 on LG, 25 on Sony = 50 on LG, etc, but only with Peak Luminance on High and only subjectively... the numbers are irrelevant to the actual luminance). This should allow you to get the same if not more brightness from the A90J as your C9, for SDR.

Not sure why Sony make the choice to set it at Max, though maybe it's to do with their SDR > HDR mapping. I too have found around 40 (with Peak Luminance set to Off) to be ideal for dark room viewing... though I am still judging by eye until I have enough hours to do an initial calibration. For HDR, Peak Luminance should be on High and Brightness on Max, otherwise it doesn't track correctly.

Sorry to hear that is how you feel... coming from an AF9 this is a marked improvement for me. Considering our panels were close in years, I'd have thought the same to be true for you!

deon444

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply, and to you to @games133 . We had it in the same USB port as you both have and it wasn't recognised by the TV.

We've had to leave e Ethernet in place and I'm getting 67Mbs down but, Netflix is only giving me HD and not DV.

More trial and error there me thinks.

@deon444 you and @Doctor Bravestone appear to know your way around the inner workings of the A90J, can either of you please explain the gamma settings under brightness within the custom preset? The default is -2.

Similar question under the colour option with regard colour temperature please, the default is Expert 1. Which setting is closest to 'warm 2'?
As far as I can remember, when I had my Af9 calibrated it was in expert 1 gamma -2

IL Cattivo

FYI, New replacement tv comes next Tuesday, due to new stock arriving next week
Got me fingers crossed for yer mate.
Did you by any chance request that your new TV delivery was fulfilled by competent courier handlers and not by those who lay them flat on the bed of the van.!!

-Hitman-

Got me fingers crossed for yer mate.
Did you by any chance request that your new TV delivery was fulfilled by competent courier handlers and not by those who lay them flat on the bed of the van.!!

The hell i did, deliver upright or it'll be rejected!

Paddywhackery

Hang tight Barney, early days and you might be driving yourself mad unnecessarily.

Barney Gumble

Hang tight Barney, early days and you might be driving yourself mad unnecessarily.
LOL! You're right, it's a process. I don't endear myself to anyone for the first week as I experiment and reset. Experiment and reset whilst I deep dive into the settings to familiarise myself with the TV.

There are far more discerning people within this thread that are happy so I'm confident I will get there:thumbsup:.

gurmukhp

Compared to the Apple TV, the AirPlay feature on the TV is really bad, the quality is quite low as is the framerate. When casting the same movie to an Apple TV 4K device, the quality and framerate is much higher. Is this expected or could it be related to poor wifi signal on the TV?

Anyone tried AirPlay and got a good video signal?

Geesus

Compared to the Apple TV, the AirPlay feature on the TV is really bad, the quality is quite low as is the framerate. When casting the same movie to an Apple TV 4K device, the quality and framerate is much higher. Is this expected or could it be related to poor wifi signal on the TV?

Anyone tried AirPlay and got a good video signal?
The TVs Apple TV app is also less bandwidth than using an Apple TV device itself. It is obviously deliberate as Apple want to you to buy their products.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
The TVs Apple TV app is also less bandwidth than using an Apple TV device itself. It is obviously deliberate as Apple want to you to buy their products.
The box just runs nicer also, with all the movie info and then the extras for the movies.
Also on my LG the apple tv+ app has crashed a few times, never happened on the 4k box..

one thing i do remember though, when i watched "see" on the 4k box i was getting a white line coming and going at the top (or bottom, can't mind) of the screen and that wasn't happening on the LG app. 🤔

Chippy99

Please could any A90J owners answer a couple of questions for me?

1. (Of the 65" specifically), What is the screen uniformity like? Any yellow / purple staining?

and, unrelated,

2. I assume there is a lip sync adjustment setting somewhere? Is both + and - adjustment possible? Or only additional sound delay? I need to advance the sound (aka delay the picture).

games133

1. (Of the 65" specifically), What is the screen uniformity like? Any yellow / purple staining?

and, unrelated,

2. I assume there is a lip sync adjustment setting somewhere? Is both + and - adjustment possible? Or only additional sound delay? I need to advance the sound (aka delay the picture).
For screen uniformity there only been one person with complaint and getting replacement screen.

There is a sound sync adjustment it dose go plus and negative. But it don't seem as good as others I've seen. Ie kodi and such.

Doctor Bravestone

and, unrelated,

1. Nothing of the sort on mine, haven't seen any other owners here complaining of such either. General consensus is these are some of the cleanest panels produced so far this year. :)

2. There is no functionality to delay picture on the TV that I'm aware of... but Custom mode has an inherent delay of around ~85ms and Game ~18ms. Hopefully these give you leeway to adjust timings on your receiver for what you need. 👍🏻

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021