Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

No, you do not do anything wrong. I have the same results from Bravia Core. I tried and I can see 1080p too. Obviously from the picture it is 4K HDR output, same as the previous part of Spiderman. I think video output info from built-in app is wrong. By the way I had tried it and after few seconds my Sony OLED completely stuck during the show. I had to unplug it.

Then I tried different show. External Shield TV Pro 2019 (with external disc) in Kodi, connected to Denon AVR, I looked to Denon AVR Remote app with 4K HDR show and video output was shown correctly - 4K / 24Hz.
Now Sorted - Denon UK confirmed today that because I’m using Earc all that goes to the Denon is Audio - the 1080p is the info banner from the app - I must say the picture is stunning on Spider-Man 👍

Sorry this is long. Trying this forum as a last ditch effort... Bought a 65" A90J in April 2022. Everything was great until this past August when one day the picture began to deteriorate about a half hour after turning it on. It very gradually got darker, lost contrast and color and generally got worse and worse. I had done the most recent update about a week earlier and suspected it may have something to do with that. Swapped out all the cables, switched power source, reset everything including a full factory reset (which doesn't reset the firmware). Eco everything off and auto dimming off. It was always great when first turned on but slowly over time degraded. After a few days of this it went away. Picture was great for a couple of weeks and I thought maybe it was something in the update that corrected itself even though another update hadn't come through (wishful thinking). Then it came back... few days bad, a week good... this happened a few times through August.

Called Sony and they went through everything and suggested I contact the local authorized service center. To jump ahead, it's out of warrantee (no I didn't buy the extended warrantee and have kicked myself enough already so save it), they're an hour away and I had to take it in which was an issue for me. So I contacted Best Buy and they sent their guy out. He did a hard reset and that seemed to fix the problem but a week later, it's back. Agreed to swap out the mainboard which he did a week or so later (in the meantime it cycled through good/bad). New mainboard seemed to fix the issue but nope. 4 or 5 days later it came back.

He said he'd try a new mainboard but in the meantime talked to his boss and Sony and the verdict was the panel was bad and there's nothing they can do. It again went through the cycle of 3 or 4 days good, problem comes back, etc. And that's where I am right now.

Any thoughts? I know panels can go bad but it seems odd that it goes through these cycles of good/bad. It's always fine when turned on and sometimes stays that way for days and then bad for a few day. No error codes just this cycle of good/bad.

If it's the panel and I'm screwed it stinks but so be it but I thought I'd give this forum a shot just in case. Thanks in advance.
Hi. I bought 55a90j a week ago. I have noticed that screen is automatically getting darker when watching info tv channels with info bars at the bottom. I read that this is normal procedure to avoid oled screen burn when static picture is being displayed... It also happened when I watched football on eleven sports where static "score info bar" was displayed. It is really annoying...

Hi. I bought 55a90j a week ago. I have noticed that screen is automatically getting darker when watching info tv channels with info bars at the bottom. I read that this is normal procedure to avoid oled screen burn when static picture is being displayed... It also happened when I watched football on eleven sports where static "score info bar" was displayed. It is really annoying...
Same on my A9G , absolutely ruins the picture quality when watching football.

Shame there wasn't an option to remove the static banners which would resolve the issue .

You could go into the service menu on my LG to turn off ABSL but you can't on Sony TV's .

I have also noticed one more problem. I use one of the Android apps to watch online tv (Canal + online). When I watch news channels with info bar, moving from left to right words are juddering a lot. I have played a lot with motion, clearness and cinema settings unfortunately could not solve mentioned issue. There is no problem on my parents 65x85j... Words on info bars are moving smoothly... Is it normal in 55a90j ?

is there any flush wall mount option for this TV? Or just better to drill hole into the wall?

I lifted the below quote from a U.S forum regarding the flush mount for the 83"

"The A90J is not being promoted as a flush mount TV. So, Sony doesn't have that problem. However, if you look the Sony manual, you will see that although they do have a slim mount that they recommend for the smaller size A90J's, the specifically say NOT to use it for the 83" model. The 83" model has a larger VESA pattern for mounting purposes and Sony does NOT have a similar slim mount option for the 83"

Firmware update to v6.7480​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Adds support for the TV Channel Editor for BRAVIA mobile app to connect to the TV over the network
  • Resolves an issue where the picture quality degraded on the internal tuner under specific circumstances
  • Resolves an issue where sound drops could be heard from a connected HDMI source in VRR mode
  • Resolves an issue where no sound could be heard when using specific PC graphic cards in 4K 120Hz mode
  • Enhances security

So anyone watch things like news channels that have a ticker bar running along the bottom?

I was watching the NFL Draft earlier that had one on SkySportsNFL and it looked pretty smooth. However, when watching the same program via the NFLGamePass streaming app from my Shield, the moving text banner was a mess, Judder city!

I guess the refresh rate is somewhat different between the two, but the TV didn't look like it could compensate for it when streaming. Everything else on the screen was fine.
Hi. I bought 55a90j last week. I have also noticed some problems with running text banners when watching news channels via streaming app (Canal+ online) . I have tried to play with motion, clearness and cinema settings but it did not help. With motion set to max moving text i smooth for a few seconds than it is flashing for a few sec and than it is smooth again...

I thought that there is something bad with tv and I planned to return/exchange it but it looks like it is general issue. Wired that it is not fixed still with software update...

Since the latest firmware update the "Hey google" doesn't seem to be responding. If i say "hey google turn off (or on) the tv" it says it's going to do it, but doesn't.

Hi, seeking some help …. for some reason or other the subtitle text doesn’t appear to be working today. The button on the RC is working - it just doesn’t appear to invoke subtitles on the TV. I’ve powered off and on. It works for the non-Youview TV but not on Youview.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Jeff

Hi All,

I've had this tv for over a year now, and seeing an issue I was wondering if anyone had come across this issue and how they resolved it. When I put the tv in standby mode and turn it on after a hour or so, the tv goes on with a blank screen won't display anything via HDMI ports I've got a Nvidia Shield and Apple TV in HDMI 2 & 3. I can hear the sound via the soundbar (HDMI 3) but no picture. I put the tv on standby and after 2/3 mins the tv resets it self and everything id fine again. Is there a way to resolve this?

Hi All,

I've had this tv for over a year now, and seeing an issue I was wondering if anyone had come across this issue and how they resolved it. When I put the tv in standby mode and turn it on after a hour or so, the tv goes on with a blank screen won't display anything via HDMI ports I've got a Nvidia Shield and Apple TV in HDMI 2 & 3. I can hear the sound via the soundbar (HDMI 3) but no picture. I put the tv on standby and after 2/3 mins the tv resets it self and everything id fine again. Is there a way to resolve this?

I don’t have a solution although I have pretty much the same issue on my A80J.

Turn tv off for a couple hours and get blank screen on hdmi inputs and Freesat. The tv’s internal apps work fine although the remotes app buttons (Netflix, YouTube etc) do not respond.

Usually have to reset tv to resolve.

If tv is off for longer periods (ie overnight) everything works fine.

I’m sure this was introduced after a firmware update sometime last year as this never used to happen (I’ve had tv since 2021).

I don’t have a solution although I have pretty much the same issue on my A80J.

Turn tv off for a couple hours and get blank screen on hdmi inputs and Freesat. The tv’s internal apps work fine although the remotes app buttons (Netflix, YouTube etc) do not respond.

Usually have to reset tv to resolve.

If tv is off for longer periods (ie overnight) everything works fine.

I’m sure this was introduced after a firmware update sometime last year as this never used to happen (I’ve had tv since 2021).
I only started experiencing it after a firmware update, I thought there may be a switch I needed to turn off in the settings or something. I'll try with Sony see what they say.

I only started experiencing it after a firmware update, I thought there may be a switch I needed to turn off in the settings or something. I'll try with Sony see what they say.

Just to note the blank screen issue occurred again today.

I instead put the tv into standby rather than reset and the tv actually did reset itself after a couple of minutes.

Just to note the blank screen issue occurred again today.

I instead put the tv into standby rather than reset and the tv actually did reset itself after a couple of minutes.
I've been doing that, then it resets itself. I've messaged Sony I'll keep you updated with anything they come with

How can you turn on the screen saver on Sony TVs during a short pause in watching a video in order to avoid a static image?

Now Sorted - Denon UK confirmed today that because I’m using Earc all that goes to the Denon is Audio - the 1080p is the info banner from the app - I must say the picture is stunning on Spider-Man 👍
Yep, there's no actual video signal going back into the Denon app, just the audio, so it keeps the default 1080p shown. Also notice it's on the 'output' tab, which is obviously not the case as you are watching the TV source material through the Sony app.

If it helps, I also have a Denon amplfier (X3800H) connected to the HDMI 2.1 (eARC) port for all my audio needs and the occasional BluRay spin.

I've been doing that, then it resets itself. I've messaged Sony I'll keep you updated with anything they come with
Just an update, after several back and forths with Sony, I sent them a video of the issue they had me go through some troubleshooting with HDMIs etc. In the end I factory reset the tv and it's been 3 days and the issue hasn't occured.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom