Sony A90J (BRAVIA XR-65A90J) OLED TV Review & Comments

ABL is still a feature on these Sonys. You may be disappointed...
Depends how aggressive it is. On F1 and boxing its terrible and if this is the same i wont be getting it

ABL is still a feature on these Sonys. You may be disappointed...
I know you haven't noticed this issue on your set Tim, but there's been two people (AF8 owners) on the A80J owners thread that have confirmed that the dimming that kicks in when watching sports with fixed graphics (football, F1, UFC etc) is not happening with the A80J. I am so happy about this news! I presume it's just a lot more relaxed on this set, and reportedly the previous A8.

Last edited:
My AF8 is pretty bad for dimming on F1, Boxing, Football And Gaming with any static bar present.

Boxing is the worst example as when the 10 second bell rings all the static banners go off and the TV starts to shine its a pain in the backside wish i could turn it off. Anyways my 65 inch is lookin small so now i want bigger TV, I love the Sony picture and the motion so would like to stick with Sony BUT if ABL is still present in all there sets then i WILL not purchase a Sony model.

Also Dolby Vision is goosed on this set too and if thats not fixed on the latest model Sony can go bye bye is its horrendous on netflix

My AF8 is pretty bad for dimming on F1, Boxing, Football And Gaming with any static bar present.

Boxing is the worst example as when the 10 second bell rings all the static banners go off and the TV starts to shine its a pain in the backside wish i could turn it off. Anyways my 65 inch is lookin small so now i want bigger TV, I love the Sony picture and the motion so would like to stick with Sony BUT if ABL is still present in all there sets then i WILL not purchase a Sony model.

Also Dolby Vision is goosed on this set too and if thats not fixed on the latest model Sony can go bye bye is its horrendous on netflix
DV is very impressive on the A90J.

Depends how aggressive it is. On F1 and boxing its terrible and if this is the same i wont be getting it
On my AG9 , the only time I see it is on HDR Football

"A big step up from the AG9". It's sentences like this that draw me more towards Rtings to be honest. They rate the AG9 8.7 overall and the A90J an 8.8. Seems a little more grounded.

I didn't think we actually ever see 'big steps up' in OLED technology. If that's not the case then why on earth are so many blu ray reviews on this site still tested on a 2017 screen...(?) One would assume the difference between a 3-4 year old LG screen and the A90J would therefore be colossal. Yet that's evidently not the case...

Point is, i think hearing that a new screen is a 'big step up' is going to disappoint certain people looking to upgrade. Personally, with language like that I'd be expecting a night and day difference. Where as I'm sure it's simply 'incrementally better', like these screens invariably are year after year.
That’d be wrong. Phil Hinton is truly “heads & shoulders” more objective and accurate than Rtings. Rtings is truly biased and they NEVER address upscaling. I confronted them on it (ALL TVs are the same upscaling score-did you ever notice that? They say it’s too “subjective” so they do NOT even try. Bravo to Phil Hinton that looks at things- and is essentially in objective line with most quality evaluators. Rtings is out on a different planet.

In which way is he down on DV? What exactly is his opinion?
Thanks for the follow-up question on this. D-Nice operates on such a high level on these technicalities that I am both reluctant and respectful of his opinion as to not try and speak in any detail on this. I will go as far as to say that he was emphatic about this NOT being a “Sony” issue, but a Dolby problem in all brand panels. He read pretty down on them.
But check out AVSForum and the owners thread of A90J. The thread is extensive of course.
I wasn’t much help.

The Best Picture Settings for the Sony A90J and A80J OLED TVs video tutorial is now available on the AVForums YouTube Channel here:

Day 2 with my 55” A90J, moved up from a 2016 Samsung KS8000 and it blows it out of the water in every way for me.

Jaw dropping at times and I’m not easily impressed. Have used the out of box settings as mentioned in the setting video

Last edited:
I'm getting the Sony a90j tomorrow 2 replace my sony a90g is it a big upgrade

I'm getting the Sony a90j tomorrow 2 replace my sony a90g is it a big upgrade
Is THIS a statement, or a question? If is is a question, it needs to be followed by a question mark. Maybe you are declaring that it is a big upgrade.
You can tell us!!

I would declare that it might be considered a medium upgrade (not huge or big, only because the A90g was such a fine model in itself that the A90J could be considered “incremental”). The English language is inexacting. It is subjective. The increase in light/contrast is measurable. So you are going to notice that. Is that “big”?? Some people might deem it big. Some would deem it a moderate upgrade from an already nice plasma.
Again, I would state that you should definitely notice a difference…for the better. Only you can determine if it was “worth the upgrade.”
I have an A90J. I love it. But my previous tv panel is 12 years old and a plasma 1080p model. Was that a big upgrade? Yes it was.

It must be nearly ten years since my last post here although I remained a regular observer of developments through AVF. It was a surprise to find I didn't have to set up a new user name. In 2009 I bought a Pioneer KRP600, a Pioneer 7.1 amp and the LX91 BD Player. I remained happy with them all.

I took a good look at the LG E6 when it came out but the Pioneer was working well and I was quite scared of the prevalent burn in and banding problems. The plasma remains free of defects to this day.

Then at the beginning of this month I had an itch to add smart TV facilities but decided that I already had too many boxes and needed fewer not more. With the help of Forum members I narrowed my choice of new TV to a 65" Sony OLED.

However the tape measure revealed that 65 inches of OLED was noticeably narrower than a 60 inch Pioneer with speakers attached and I thought that a smaller black patch on the wall might always look a bit silly compared to what I was used to. I bought an XR83A90J instead. To be honest it already looks a bit small to me!

The image is absolutely perfect. I have not been looking for problems but plain white and coloured screens come up quite often and there is not the slightest hint of a blemish.

For my taste the screen is too bright in Custom mode so it is dialed down to 35, I have yet to check if that is close to a generally accepted level. I will probably get it calibrated; in for a penny and all that...

The audio is better and louder than the Pioneer and my only real criticism is that a separate media box provides far easier access to the connections. I had to change the mount for one that allows my hand to get between TV and wall.

Ergonomically I am finding it more difficult than the Pioneer but there is of course much more to it. Response times are far quicker. My thumb is too big for the remote and I too often press two buttons together and get what I didn't want.

So this post is a thank you to everyone who provides so much information here and hopefully a reassurance that an OLED screen can look perfect.

If anyone can find a use for a calibrated KRP 600 plus all the bits and pieces that came with it, it is lying under a blanket in South East London. Working perfectly a week ago but definitely not as good as my new Sony.

If anyone can find a use for a calibrated KRP 600 plus all the bits and pieces that came with it, it is lying under a blanket in South East London. Working perfectly a week ago but definitely not as good as my new Sony.
You could try the 'Pioneer Man' via ebay to see if he is interested

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It must be nearly ten years since my last post here although I remained a regular observer of developments through AVF. It was a surprise to find I didn't have to set up a new user name. In 2009 I bought a Pioneer KRP600, a Pioneer 7.1 amp and the LX91 BD Player. I remained happy with them all.

I took a good look at the LG E6 when it came out but the Pioneer was working well and I was quite scared of the prevalent burn in and banding problems. The plasma remains free of defects to this day.

Then at the beginning of this month I had an itch to add smart TV facilities but decided that I already had too many boxes and needed fewer not more. With the help of Forum members I narrowed my choice of new TV to a 65" Sony OLED.

However the tape measure revealed that 65 inches of OLED was noticeably narrower than a 60 inch Pioneer with speakers attached and I thought that a smaller black patch on the wall might always look a bit silly compared to what I was used to. I bought an XR83A90J instead. To be honest it already looks a bit small to me!

The image is absolutely perfect. I have not been looking for problems but plain white and coloured screens come up quite often and there is not the slightest hint of a blemish.

For my taste the screen is too bright in Custom mode so it is dialed down to 35, I have yet to check if that is close to a generally accepted level. I will probably get it calibrated; in for a penny and all that...

The audio is better and louder than the Pioneer and my only real criticism is that a separate media box provides far easier access to the connections. I had to change the mount for one that allows my hand to get between TV and wall.

Ergonomically I am finding it more difficult than the Pioneer but there is of course much more to it. Response times are far quicker. My thumb is too big for the remote and I too often press two buttons together and get what I didn't want.

So this post is a thank you to everyone who provides so much information here and hopefully a reassurance that an OLED screen can look perfect.

Bravo ! What a fantastic post. Great to hear, sir! And congratulations.

You could try the 'Pioneer Man' via ebay to see if he is interested
Interesting, thank you. I wasn't looking for money, good as they are, I don't think they are worth a lot. A friend is still running my previous 2006 vintage 50 inch Pioneer.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom