Sony A90J (BRAVIA XR-65A90J) OLED TV Review & Comments

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Great review Phil, that was a great read.
Appreciate hanging off and providing the comparisons, very interesting. It’s a tough choice again for anyone with the budget buying this year.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I have been looking at replacing my 65” C9 with something bigger, and bought a 77” A90J.

Honestly, other than the obviously bigger size, couldn’t see a difference at all in terms of PQ.

Unfortunately the A90J had to go back as Google TV would randomly crash when I was was doing nothing more arduous than watching a programme on a Sky box connected to an external input. I accept I most likely had a faulty set, as I have it running on a smaller LED Sony in the sitting room and on a couple of Shield’s without issue, but am back with the C9 now (which is still a mighty fine TV).

I can’t speak for the 2020 Sony’s as I never tried one, but LG’s 2020 CX was actually dimmer that the previous years C9, and has gone brighter again in this years C1 - so is back to 2019’s levels!

Think I’m just going to wait for Panasonic or Philips to finally do something bigger than 65” (or scouring classifieds for a 77” C9)
I wasn’t aware they made a 77 inch A90J

Joe C

BriD

Got to replace my now dead 65" Panasonic DX902 and have an 83" OLED in mind.

Can't for the life of me work out why the A90J is more expensive than the LG C1 in 55/65 but cheaper in 83 ? Am I missing something, or just a weirdness of some dollar conversion?

Joe C

Got to replace my now dead 65" Panasonic DX902 and have an 83" OLED in mind.

Can't for the life of me work out why the A90J is more expensive than the LG C1 in 55/65 but cheaper in 83 ? Am I missing something, or just a weirdness of some dollar conversion?

It’s on offer at the mo. The C1 was cheaper recently as some places had it with the £1k off promotion

raduv1

Distinguished Member
This high end very expensive display gets a nine when it's missing the basic of online apps and services and limited 2.1 inputs of other displays in and below oits price bracket?

Why does this Sony Display get a free pass at a nine when at this price point it is actually behind other manufacturers displays in performance, apps, price point including last years outings by other manufacturers?

Is Rtings now a more pure in depth form of a real review of a display product ?

Smudger558

I think people need to stop picking holes in tellies they are not going to buy most people choose what brand of television they want to buy after doing some research and are happy with their choice
I have 77 inch a80j and to my it's stunning I would of probably bought a90j if made in 77 size how many people wait for for av reviews and then rip them to pieces

Joe C

I think people need to stop picking holes in tellies they are not going to buy most people choose what brand of television they want to buy after doing some research and are happy with their choice
I have 77 inch a80j and to my it's stunning I would of probably bought a90j if made in 77 size how many people wait for for av reviews and then rip them to pieces

AV enthusiasts…

Metalex

This high end very expensive display gets a nine when it's missing the basic of online apps and services and limited 2.1 inputs of other displays in and below oits price bracket?

Why does this Sony Display get a free pass at a nine when at this price point it is actually behind other manufacturers displays in performance, apps, price point including last years outings by other manufacturers?

Lack of apps and limited HDMI 2.1 inputs may not be deal breakers to many, so surely the overall score should be weighted heavily to it’s pure abilities as a display.

Rtings has its place, but they’re purely measurebators. They offer nothing in the way of opinion, which is fine, but it limits the usefulness of their reviews. I wouldn’t ever make a purchase based on one of their reviews and would always wait for AVForums and/or HDTVTest reviews before making a purchase.

Morden

A previous poster said they were given a free fire stick with the tv when purchased to compensate for lack of tv channel apps.

Wouldnt be a deal breaker for me if i can get them on a fire stick.
Picture quality is far more important than apps and how many hdmi 2.1 devices do you have?

I have zero, but when i get a ps5 it would be 1.
Not sure the benefit of more than 2?

pressure

Epic review - really a group test. Bravo @Phil Hinton !
Looking forward to the JZ1500 test and whether it’s better than last year’s model.

I suspect another really big question will be whether there’s enough difference between the a80 and A90 to really justify the extra…

gambit6

Picture quality is far more important than apps and how many hdmi 2.1 devices do you have?

I have zero, but when i get a ps5 it would be 1.
Not sure the benefit of more than 2?
It's a benefit for the wealthy people who own a PS5, Xbox Series X, and gaming PC

TheCrow

Being a Sony does the TV support DTS audio?

Joe C

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member

When you pick through everything that's said in the review, all it does imo is make people see how great the C1/G1 is in comparison, and really that's where your money should be spent, as (G1 in particular) is so close to the A90J in PQ terms, that the way more capable gaming side, and much lower cost, makes it a no brainer.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
When you pick through everything that's said in the review, all it does imo is make people see how great the C1/G1 is in comparison, and really that's where your money should be spent, as (G1 in particular) is so close to the A90J in PQ terms, that the way more capable gaming side, and much lower cost, makes it a no brainer.
I am amazed at some of the responses to my original post for this high end display and the late in the day review that shows this display still does not have the basics of apps down the line upon its original release .

I even had a reply that Sony gave out a free bloody fire stick as compensation for lack of apps as this is somehow a positive ! . This Display gets a 9 on this forum at this price point ! Really ?

Last edited:

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
I am amazed at some of the responses to my original post for this high end display and the late in the day review that shows this display still does not have the basics of apps down the line upon its original release .

I even had a reply that Sony gave out a free bloody fire stick as compensation for lack of apps as this is somehow a positive ! . This Display gets a 9 on this forum at this price point ! Really ?

They are fair points (the fire stick thing is crazy 😆) but it's good to see some grounded reality as to how the performance really is, vs the competition, a bit like Digital Trends review/comparison, and he is a self confessed Sony fanboy, the hyperbole surrounding this TV is utterly insane, and having put one through its paces myself now, it ain't the holy grail it is made out to be, but certainly hanging with the big 3. You ain't picking out jack, unless the TV's were side by side.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
I cannot wait to get rid of my ABL ridden AF8 and maybe this is the TV to do it. But it be no smaller than a 77" or this 83" purchase

steviedr

Distinguished Member
If you take a point off for missing catch-up apps (which only applies in the UK), you’d have to do the same for the LG last year as it had the same issue.
I think they did sort it out eventually and so the score for it is now valid.

It would be like a dynamic penalty point that would have to be adjusted once sorted.

I agree, while a fire stick is a nice little workaround, it is ridiculous on something this expensive. They should be dishing out Sky Q ;) as a peace offering.

Wyrminarrd

Standard Member
Not everyone who looks at these reviews is British, so deducting points for a lack of UK stuff might give the wrong impression to non UK residents who don't read the whole review... 🙂🇮🇸

micks_address

Not everyone who looks at these reviews is British, so deducting points for a lack of UK stuff might give the wrong impression to non UK residents who don't read the whole review... 🙂🇮🇸
That’s fair point. I’m in Dublin so they are not that relevant to me. It’s the uk version of the tv being reviewed so definitely worth calling out all the same

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li