Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
In this Podcast special, we interview Gavin McCarron – Technical Marketing Manager, TV Marketing Europe and Nick Roos – Product Marketing Manager, TV Marketing UK & Ireland from Sony about the new 2021 TV line-up. We explore the new features like the Cognitive Processor and XR OLED Contrast Pro, as well as the line-up including the A90J MASTER series OLED, the A80J OLED as well as the gaming, focussed X90J and X95J LED LCD models.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

It would have been interesting to find out if they were going to offer the streaming service to the 2020 range in future. Also, if there were any plans to upgrade the Google interface on the 2020 range.

I know this is only a TV chat, but really want to hear if they are going to bring out any AVRs this year as the others are pretty much being discontinued - or indeed ever now..... Would be shame for them to pull out of the market but lots of talk of it happening

It would have been interesting to find out if they were going to offer the streaming service to the 2020 range in future. Also, if there were any plans to upgrade the Google interface on the 2020 range.
Non 2021 tvs will be updated with a new UI that looks pretty much identical to it in many ways.

65ACC709-418B-40C6-87EC-BBE37A62359E.jpeg
7E14A217-1ACD-45BF-A373-75D807FAD331.png

Why weren't Sony questioned about the missing UK catchup tv apps?
It was a pre-recorded podcast so maybe it was done last week? before the big announcement :D

edit: just see it was recorded 21st april.. so they probably weren't aware of the situation then.

Is it possible for you guys @Steve Withers @Phil Hinton to reach out to sony and ask for an update or some kind of time scale for uk apps coming to 2021 tv's please?

We didn't know, so didn't ask. Nothing more sinister than that.
yeah I know that.. hence the " :D " emoji after the "sony conditions" :)

Is it possible for you to reach out to sony and ask for an update or some kind of time scale for uk apps coming to 2021 tv's please?

Last edited:
Well that's disappointing, as even a brief visit to the Owners thread in the last 9 days would have told you the UK catchup tv apps situation has been a major discussion point.

Well that's disappointing, as even a brief visit to the Owners thread in the last 9 days would have told you the UK catchup tv apps situation has been a major discussion point.
Sorry, but I don't have the time to always follow threads, especially ones that are large and updated constantly, like owners threads. However, if people want to draw our attention to any issues, it is easy to @ us so we know to pop in and have a read.

Thanks gents - Always interesting to hear from the reps despite their reluctance to discuss certain aspects in depth.
When you test the A90J, can you also report on its performance when acting as a centre channel?

Last edited:
I've been promised one as soon as they are available.
Phil I got one yesterday, so your welcome to drive down from Scotland in your attractive, but petrol guzzling car and have a play with mine 😀

Sorry, but I don't have the time to always follow threads, especially ones that are large and updated constantly, like owners threads. However, if people want to draw our attention to any issues, it is easy to @ us so we know to pop in and have a read.
@Phil Hinton, when you review either the A80J or the A90J, it would be interesting to know how the on-board sound compares with the outgoing A8. From what I can gather, there are two significant changes. The new models have forwarded-firing subwoofers, and the new XR processor affects the sound as well as the picture. Thanks.

@Phil Hinton, when you review either the A80J or the A90J, it would be interesting to know how the on-board sound compares with the outgoing A8. From what I can gather, there are two significant changes. The new models have forwarded-firing subwoofers, and the new XR processor affects the sound as well as the picture. Thanks.
Would be good to hear how it sounds, initial impressions from reviewers and users around the net is that they both sound extremely good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom