Question SONY A8H bad picture quality HD streams

Jimfor22

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Since 2 months i am the owner the SONY 65A8H oled, but i need some help. When watching HD movies from netflix the quality of the picture is bad in my opinion. 4k and DV are really good (Cobra kai, our planet etc) but it is the HD content what is bothering me.

Yesterday i watched the movies ‘the outpost’ on netfix by a friend who has a 7 years old samsung. When i came home i watched some parts of that movie on my A8 to check the quality but it is obvious better on the old samsung. The samsung is sharper, more detail and less artefacts. Only the black levels are way better on the A8. Also i see a lot more grain on the A8.

The movies i watched on netflix last week where i think it is just not good enough are ‘the outpost’ ‘ingloruis bastards’ ‘the blind side’. It is not really bad but it is not good.

I tried the picture modes: standard, cinema and custom but it is not getting better. Every review i saw i read that the sony A8 is fantastic in upscaling and got a phenomal picture quality, even in HD.

Is that just the way it is or is there something i can do you to make it better?

I hope someone can help me with this cause i read so many reviews that said the picture quality of the SONY A8 is outstanding that i think i am getting crazy:p

It is the source quality. I get blocky black areas in a fair amount of BBC content (both from a few years ago and current stuff). I think the issue is the A8 cannot hide poor quality source material.

@dave_a thanks for your reply, that is unfortunately. 50% of the content i watch are HD sources from netflix, i thought netflix should be good enough (not great) for a 1800€ tv to make it better then a 7 year old samsung. That sucks.

I was watching ‘the warrior’ on netflix and i never saw it as it bad as today. The picture is horrible. It is even worse in real then on the picture.

Attachments

• 8BE276DF-09E7-4461-9DF8-4119C9F275E4.jpeg
    8BE276DF-09E7-4461-9DF8-4119C9F275E4.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 596
I was watching ‘the warrior’ on netflix and i never saw it as it bad as today. The picture is horrible. It is even worse in real then on the picture.

Something either wrong with your settings or tv because I watched warrior via Netflix last night and the picture was perfectly fine.
That’s screenshot looks terrible.

Something either wrong with your settings or tv because I watched warrior via Netflix last night and the picture was perfectly fine.
That’s screenshot looks terrible.

Here’s Designated Survivor on my A8 season 1 so just HD in 1080p see what it looks like on yours?

Attachments

• 0C957511-29F9-431E-8D19-43EB0C66C6AA.jpeg
    0C957511-29F9-431E-8D19-43EB0C66C6AA.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 608
  • 16F8B90A-32B9-44C3-8D22-CD6C21BBB7E8.jpeg
    16F8B90A-32B9-44C3-8D22-CD6C21BBB7E8.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 477
  • 14F0510C-285B-4C86-A089-30A8199EC7C3.jpeg
    14F0510C-285B-4C86-A089-30A8199EC7C3.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 594
Ps this is in custom mode brightness at 20 and nearly everything turned off.

I think you should reset your TV to the factory settings, then do not change anything in the settings and see if Netflix is working properly. No problems here.

Thanks for your help. I tried designated survivor s1 and it is a lot better the ‘the warrior’ but still not as good as your pictures for so far as i can see. I used standard, cinema and custom mode.

I did a reset and put it on custom, now i give it some time to get used to this setting, it is already a bit better:)

Hello Jimfor22,

I'm a bit late, but.....

Turn the "Display Area" setting to "+1", it disables overscan and gives an obvious improvement in PQ.

It is under Home\Settings\Display & Sound\Screen (not under Picture).

Hello Jimfor22,

I'm a bit late, but.....

Turn the "Display Area" setting to "+1", it disables overscan and gives an obvious improvement in PQ.

Completely blanked out and cannot adjust

Completely blanked out and cannot adjust
My A8 is only 4 days old and was not blanked out, but set to "Normal" and I simply changed it to "+1".

There's a definite improvement to be had on the +1 setting.

If you watch freeview through an aerial is it still blanked out? There will probably be a setting that needs to enabled elswhere to enable Display Area.

My A8 is only 4 days old and was not blanked out, but set to "Normal" and I simply changed it to "+1".

There's a definite improvement to be had on the +1 setting.

If you watch freeview through an aerial is it still blanked out? There will probably be a setting that needs to enabled elswhere to enable Display Area.
You are Absolutely correct !! I tried under sky on HDMI but was blanked out
Did through Sony’s internal TV guide and was able to adjust

Hello Jimfor22,

I'm a bit late, but.....

I can only change this setting when i am viewing HDMI but when i change it from normal to +1 it is not filling the full screen is that correct? Als i the screen setting is blanked out when using the internal apps is that also correct?

I have the A8H in a somewhat dark room. Thinking of upgrading to the A90J as the A8H seems a little too dark. I would like the darker items (near black) to open up. Seems Netflix is the worst. Maybe the bit rate on Netflix is at fault?
But even Robert Zohn from Value Electronics says the A90J might be too bright for a dark room. Opinions please?

No that's
I can only change this setting when i am viewing HDMI but when i change it from normal to +1 it is not filling the full screen is that correct? Als i the screen setting is blanked out when using the internal apps is that also correct?
No that's not correct.

You can't change it while watching freeview through an aerial?

Is it like that for all your hdmi devices?

There are setting in hdmi devices that allow you to "calibrate" the screen, for instance Amazon Firestick allows you to shrink or enlarge the screen I'd check your device for this?

No that's

No that's not correct.

You can't change it while watching freeview through an aerial?

Is it like that for all your hdmi devices?

There are setting in hdmi devices that allow you to "calibrate" the screen, for instance Amazon Firestick allows you to shrink or enlarge the screen I'd check your device for this?
I don't have freeway through on aerial. I only use 1 Hdmi device and that's for my (dutch) digital tv. I tried to adjust the screen position on that device but it is still not filling to full screen, i got a little 5mm gap when i set the screensetting on +1

I don't have freeway through on aerial. I only use 1 Hdmi device and that's for my (dutch) digital tv. I tried to adjust the screen position on that device but it is still not filling to full screen, i got a little 5mm gap when i set the screensetting on +1
Is the 5mm gap all around the screen or on one side of the screen?

That Display Area "+1" from what I understand works with aerial received broadcasts but maybe not streaming sources.

Overscan what the +1 setting disables is from old type CRT tv's, when everything was broadcast over aerial.

Is it Ziggo or KPN? I have T-Mobile with HDMI and no problems at all.
Maybe a screenshot?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom