Question SONY A8H bad picture quality HD streams

Jimfor22

Novice Member
Is the 5mm gap all around the screen or on one side of the screen?

That Display Area "+1" from what I understand works with aerial received broadcasts but maybe not streaming sources.

Overscan what the +1 setting disables is from old type CRT tv's, when everything was broadcast over aerial.
It is only a gap on the upper side

jm5151

Novice Member
Hi guys,

Since 2 months i am the owner the SONY 65A8H oled, but i need some help. When watching HD movies from netflix the quality of the picture is bad in my opinion. 4k and DV are really good (Cobra kai, our planet etc) but it is the HD content what is bothering me.

Yesterday i watched the movies ‘the outpost’ on netfix by a friend who has a 7 years old samsung. When i came home i watched some parts of that movie on my A8 to check the quality but it is obvious better on the old samsung. The samsung is sharper, more detail and less artefacts. Only the black levels are way better on the A8. Also i see a lot more grain on the A8.

The movies i watched on netflix last week where i think it is just not good enough are ‘the outpost’ ‘ingloruis bastards’ ‘the blind side’. It is not really bad but it is not good.

I tried the picture modes: standard, cinema and custom but it is not getting better. Every review i saw i read that the sony A8 is fantastic in upscaling and got a phenomal picture quality, even in HD.

Is that just the way it is or is there something i can do you to make it better?

I hope someone can help me with this cause i read so many reviews that said the picture quality of the SONY A8 is outstanding that i think i am getting crazy:p
I have the same problem with my A8H, especially on Netflix. Tried everything to solve the problem. Will be returning it to Best Buy and opting for the Sony A90J or Samsung QN90A.

mandlebrot

I have the A8H in a somewhat dark room. Thinking of upgrading to the A90J as the A8H seems a little too dark. I would like the darker items (near black) to open up. Seems Netflix is the worst. Maybe the bit rate on Netflix is at fault?
But even Robert Zohn from Value Electronics says the A90J might be too bright for a dark room. Opinions please?
How, I just got the A8 and was worried about brightness due to some people mentioning that OLEDs are not brill in brighter rooms. Anyway I was blown away by the brightness and had to turn it down as it was aching my eyes. Are some A8s brighter than others?

HereIsTom

How, I just got the A8 and was worried about brightness due to some people mentioning that OLEDs are not brill in brighter rooms. Anyway I was blown away by the brightness and had to turn it down as it was aching my eyes. Are some A8s brighter than others?
I don’t know, but mine A89 is also very bright!

Devonshire

No, it'll be down to the the amount of light in different rooms and individual preference of picture brightness and whether they've got used to watching an overly bright picture. Lots of people have got used to watching a picture that is technically too bright, especially for SDR.

baba850r

No I think non OLED owners believe people who haven’t owned an OLED and claim their dull,can’t work in anything bar dark room at night etc...............my 65 A8 is currently at brightness 20 for day time viewing “in a bright living room” of normal non HDR/DV content.And having had 3 over 1000nit TVs I have no complaints at all with the brightness or viewing in daytime.

baba850r

No, it'll be down to the the amount of light in different rooms and individual preference of picture brightness and whether they've got used to watching an overly bright picture. Lots of people have got used to watching a picture that is technically too bright, especially for SDR.

This is very true SDR is meant to be capped at 120 nits.
A lot of people watch overblown content with washed out colours.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom