Sony A818 price drop......

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by PJD007, Sep 13, 2007.

1. PJD007

PJD007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just thought I'd tell you that the price of the 8GB model has dropped from £169 to £129 on the sonystyle site, I guess this is due to the new ipod models being announced.

I hope they will be refunding the difference to anyone who paid the higher price.

Awaiting my order :)

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    It is a great deal at this price, and it includes a free case.

I guess that they had to come down to this price to compete with the new Nano, but it is a far superior machine imo better sounding, and not tied to SS or iTunes.

I got my Sony 808 just before they were phased out. I decided not to return it when the new one was announced, as it would have meant returning the free speakers that came with it.

3. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I may well be tempted back at that price :thumbsup:

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Great news! Drag and drop and cheap! All we need now is Sony to make a HDD with a decent capacity to rival the new classic ipod and we would have the ultimate player....

5. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Strictly speaking " drag&drop OR cheap" !!! The price drop is for the 800 series (which at the moment are Atrac/Sonicstage etc ) - it's the 810 series which allows drag&drop.

There are conflicting thoughts ( from responses received from Sony ) as to whether there will be some sort of firmware upgrade which will allow the 800's to behave exactly like the 810's. ( overwise identical machines) I've got 2 808's and am hoping that there will be a firmware upgrade. ( but wouldnt surprise me if not!!)

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    No, it is the new 810 series that is cheap - £129 for the 8GB 818 including the sony leather case.

The 800 series is still about £165-£170 where it is still available.

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hows video playback on this ? I guess anything that works for psp (320x240) shoudl be fine then ?

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    I have only watched the Spiderman trailer than came preloaded on my 808. Quality is excellent, but I am not sure how long I would want to watch a 2" screen!

9. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok - thanks daveb875 ! Hadnt fully understood. I've seen a few places where the 808 has had a price reduction ( where I got one of mine has come down from £189 to £159 !!) but you are saying that the 810 is cheaper in the first place ( but has dropped from the original official price!!)

Still hoping that the 800's which lots of us bought only a few months ago can be made to act exactly like the 810!!

10. technophobe_gal

technophobe_gal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So frustrating...:mad:

I bought the A805 from John Lewis the other week with the free speaker system, I thought it was a great deal at the time, little did I know that Sony would be making an announcement the very same day for their new players! :(

Although the speaker system has a great sound and I love the way the A800 series look, I'm a bit disappointed with the video functionality, which I specifcally bought this player for. (I already have an ipod Mini which works perfectly fine, but thought I'd combine the two)

I'm WMV format an hour and a half film was 163MB, when converted into mp4 format the same film was 560MB :eek:, this is somewhat disappointing as it means I can't fit as much on my 2GB player as I would like.

Not sure what to do now! Really hope they bring out a firmware, but Sony's own Customer Service Helpline today told me they would not. :(