Sony A80J (XR-65A80J) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

A very timely review as I purchased a 77” A80J the day before a £100 price rise from £2,799 to £2,899 across most retailers.

Apparently the 77” benefits from LG’s Evo panel which isn’t the case with the smaller screens, and despite not having heat sinks it manages to achieve similar HDR brightness to the LG G1 which was far more expensive.

Can’t understand why the Evo panel - which is a major marketing tool for LG - isn’t even mentioned in Sony marketing for their 77” 80J.

There was a post on Reddit which said the later production batches of 55 & 65 also use the EVO. I bough a 65 in December, I don’t know how it’s possible to tell if it’s EVO or not?

I am sure most won't be able to pick up these minor issues.

£2500 for the 77A80J is a bargain compared to how things few in the previous years. Best is to check Keep It Classy YouTube channel to tweak the settings or hire a professional calibrator.
Lost me 77in?

I’ve had mine for about 6 months now - the 55”84J and it’s a fantastic set. I had the Philips oled805 before and while it was a lovely set it constantly crushed images.
Since getting the Sony it’s a massive step up in every way and Dolby vision looks great.

I actually went to see a friends 77" version of this on Sunday. I have to say I thought it looked amazing. I currently have the 55" E6 and I'm.trying to decide on either a large oled or a projector ... I have to say I was very impressed. Just waiting to see a review on the.lg G2 before I make any decission.

A very timely review as I purchased a 77” A80J the day before a £100 price rise from £2,799 to £2,899 across most retailers.

Apparently the 77” benefits from LG’s Evo panel which isn’t the case with the smaller screens, and despite not having heat sinks it manages to achieve similar HDR brightness to the LG G1 which was far more expensive.

Can’t understand why the Evo panel - which is a major marketing tool for LG - isn’t even mentioned in Sony marketing for their 77” 80J.
I see some have now put the price of the 77 up again to £2999 (sure it was £2899 most places when I looked yesterday!). Makes you wonder if they are getting ready to ‘discount’ these in a months time so that stores can say ‘was £2999 / now £2499’!

I’m very interested in either this 77’ set or the LG C1 (mainly for movies and general TV watching) and hoping to buy one in March/April for a big birthday coming up. I currently have a Panny 65CX800 led so I’m sure I’d appreciate the significant upgrade to either of these OLED sets.

Hoping the price will come down to £2.5k by then - or possibly lower - ahead of the 2022 models being released.

What do people reckon?..

I see some have now put the price of the 77 up again to £2999 (sure it was £2899 most places when I looked yesterday!). Makes you wonder if they are getting ready to ‘discount’ these in a months time so that stores can say ‘was £2999 / now £2499’!

I’m very interested in either this 77’ set or the LG C1 (mainly for movies and general TV watching) and hoping to buy one in March/April for a big birthday coming up. I currently have a Panny 65CX800 led so I’m sure I’d appreciate the significant upgrade to either of these OLED sets.

Hoping the price will come down to £2.5k by then - or possibly lower - ahead of the 2022 models being released.

What do people reckon?..
I’d been given a heads up that prices were going to rise due to fuel/transport/materials etc rises that had been absorbed but we’re having to be passed on to consumers.

Just so happened that I’d been tracking the price for a few days, saw it rise in a few retailers and pulled the trigger before Costco followed suit.

What do people reckon?..
I did notice prices going up too and was a bit surprised by that. At this point of the year you would expect TV prices to at least stay still if not start dropping. Wonder what the trend normally is this time of the year. Maybe it’s normal. Who knows?

In addition to your theory, I can think of 2 other possible reasons for this:

1. there’s still good demand for these TVs from the general public. Majority of consumers probably won’t be in the know that the prices should by now be in terminal decline

2. this is the last hooray from the manufacturers to try and squeeze more margins from these models before retiring them

I’d been given a heads up that prices were going to rise due to fuel/transport/materials etc rises that had been absorbed but we’re having to be passed on to consumers.

Just so happened that I’d been tracking the price for a few days, saw it rise in a few retailers and pulled the trigger before Costco followed suit.
Sorry to ask but where’s this information coming from?

Does this mean that the 2022 models will be priced higher this year then?

Sorry to ask but where’s this information coming from?

Does this mean that the 2022 models will be priced higher this year then?
If I gave you that information I’d then have to shoot you, but I’d suggest prices will be rising on many consumer goods when you consider the issues I’ve already mentioned.

Manufacturing plants are paying a lot more for energy don’t forget, so I think the new TVs coming out this year might be a few hundred pound more expensive than if they’d been launched 6 month ago.

If I gave you that information I’d then have to shoot you, but I’d suggest prices will be rising on many consumer goods when you consider the issues I’ve already mentioned.

Manufacturing plants are paying a lot more for energy don’t forget, so I think the new TVs coming out this year might be a few hundred pound more expensive than if they’d been launched 6 month ago.
Haha I was more after a general/veiled information on the source to see if it’s a reliable info or not but I’ll trust you on that :)

And the reasons you mentioned are very real and obvious. I guess it’s going to be a new reality that we all face - no matter what we’re buying - that prices in the coming year will be quite a bit higher..

Haha I was more after a general/veiled information on the source to see if it’s a reliable info or not but I’ll trust you on that :)

And the reasons you mentioned are very real and obvious. I guess it’s going to be a new reality that we all face - no matter what we’re buying - that prices in the coming year will be quite a bit higher..
To put things into context , the Naim Uniti Atom has just seen a price increase of £200 in December , making RRP £2699, all Naim products went up , some considerably more than that figure , I bought the Atom and a pair of Kef ls50 meta speakers around last October for £2699 !!!

Things are definitely costing more but this happens every year with tvs. Black friday/Xmas prices are lower. They go back up in January and then they drop again before new models come out.

Things are definitely costing more but this happens every year with tvs. Black friday/Xmas prices are lower. They go back up in January and then they drop again before new models come out.
That’s what I’m hoping. When retailers discount an item don’t they have to have it on sale at a higher price for at least 30 days or something - so they can say
‘Save £500…was £2999 (from 10th Jan to 10th Feb)… now £2499. Or is that wishful thinking.

Then again like Boxinghris says - maybe it is due to increased production costs and logistics.
Yet the LG C1 prices still seem to be reducing with no sudden increases.

I found an article online with a pattern of when TVs tend to go up and down during the year and I think March was deemed a good month. Best Time of Year to Buy a TV. (That was pre-Covid though!)

Guess I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread over the next 2 months! At £3k it’s currently out of reach for me…

Last edited:
Was looking at one of these before Christmas and Richer Sounds / JL price was £1799-ish and see these have now gone up to £1999 which seemed to coincide with the announcement of the new 2022 models. So playing the waiting game now for the price to drop back down.

Was looking at one of these before Christmas and Richer Sounds / JL price was £1799-ish and see these have now gone up to £1999 which seemed to coincide with the announcement of the new 2022 models. So playing the waiting game now for the price to drop back down.

Just get Richer Sounds to price match

For me personally I choose the Sony for 2 main reasons:
  • AndroidTV (had a Nvidia Shield in the living room before)
  • Acoustic Surface, which for us and the kids is ‘good enough’ for some streaming services, it even replaced my Dali 5.1 set, don’t need 2 full blown surround set in
For me personally I choose the Sony for 2 main reasons:
  • AndroidTV (had a Nvidia Shield in the living room before)
  • Acoustic Surface, which for us and the kids is ‘good enough’ for some streaming services, it even replaced my Dali 5.1 set, don’t need 2 full blown surround set in the house as we have a dedicated theatre room.
Thanks. Mostly I read Sony has the best Oled picture, I’m not a gamer so movie picture is my priority, as have a new soundbar so sound isn’t key, so yeah think I’ll go Sony, A80j.

That’s what I’m hoping. When retailers discount an item don’t they have to have it on sale at a higher price for at least 30 days or something - so they can say
‘Save £500…was £2999 (from 10th Jan to 10th Feb)… now £2499. Or is that wishful thinking.

Then again like Boxinghris says - maybe it is due to increased production costs and logistics.
Yet the LG C1 prices still seem to be reducing with no sudden increases.

I found an article online with a pattern of when TVs tend to go up and down during the year and I think March was deemed a good month. Best Time of Year to Buy a TV. (That was pre-Covid though!)

Guess I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread over the next 2 months! At £3k it’s currently out of reach for me…
Just called in at Chadderton Costco and the price has been reduced to £2,640, so with my 2% credit it’s just under £2,600.

Looks like I’m returning my TV and buying it again. 🥴😂

Attachments

• B0F4456F-DCAC-42A4-A736-75FE2283C98D.jpeg
    B0F4456F-DCAC-42A4-A736-75FE2283C98D.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 86
Just called in at Chadderton Costco and the price has been reduced to £2,640, so with my 2% credit it’s just under £2,600.

Looks like I’m returning my TV and buying it again. 🥴😂
That’s a really good price compared to what others are currently offering. Looks like in store only as the Sony is not on the website?
Presumably that’s collection only so need a van to pick it up!

That’s a really good price compared to what others are currently offering. Looks like in store only as the Sony is not on the website?
Costco had a 1 day deal Black Friday weekend @£2399 and you got the £100 playstation credit too ,needless to say I bit their hand off :rotfl::rotfl:

Costco had a 1 day deal Black Friday weekend @£2399 and you got the £100 playstation credit too ,needless to say I bit their hand off :rotfl::rotfl:
Wow. There’s still hope then the 77 might come back down to sub£2.5k prior to new model coming out. I’ll keep holding out…

Wow. There’s still hope then the 77 might come back down to sub£2.5k prior to new model coming out. I’ll keep holding out…
If it comes down to the £2399 mark I think it will be run out stock and will be gone quickly

I nearly bought one of those but then found out they were just selling off the last of the 77” 80j stock which had the standard LG panel before they started using the Evo panel.
Those early screens had a max brightness of 670 nits whereas the Evo are 780 nits, and HDR is a priority for me.
There were also issues with screen burn that have been eliminated with the Evo screens.
Obviously I’m just yanking your chain, but admit it - I had you slightly concerned for a second or two? 😉

Presumably that’s collection only so need a van to pick it up!
The fact it’s no longer advertised online suggests to me they’re now selling off the last of their stock before the new models but could be wrong.
Bought mine last month and it’s and manufacturing date is 11/2021, the same as what they have in now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom