Sony A80J (XR-65A80J) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Alternatively give it a big sell but also point out, in obvious terms and in the sum up, that to get the 9 out of 10 performance the buyer will need to spend a further £300+ for a pro calibration.

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
The Best Picture Settings for the Sony A90J and A80J OLED TVs video tutorial is now available on the AVForums YouTube Channel here:

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Phil. I got my Sony A8 when it was end of line and I’m absolutely blown away by it. This looks like a cracker

joost80

No mention of the extreme dimming of the screen when gaming with huds. It's very noticeable and doesn't just dim around the static elements. After a couple of minutes is half as bright as before and ruins the picture. I returned my A80J for this reason. Movie wise is an excellent TV.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
No mention of the extreme dimming of the screen when gaming with huds. It's very noticeable and doesn't just dim around the static elements. After a couple of minutes is half as bright as before and ruins the picture. I returned my A80J for this reason. Movie wise is an excellent TV.
You could have turned HDR off on your console and played in SDR?

thedude

Distinguished Member

thedude

Distinguished Member
I thought it had a film maker mode.

Vrr update is out for the 85j hopefully it comes to the 80j soon.. But as ps5 vrr update is slow to role out I see no need for Sony to cater for the xbox currently

joost80

Could have turned the dimming of logos off as well
Show me where those settings are on a A80J? Because unless Sony has added this in a firmware update, it was not possible. You can turn of logo/hud dimming on LG oleds, not on Sony's. Turning off hdr to not make it the screen dim when playing games with hud isn't a solution do you think. Besides it was noticeable with SDR to. It's just a bad implementation of a anti burn in measure.

thedude

Distinguished Member
Show me where those settings are on a A80J? Because unless Sony has added this in a firmware update, it was not possible. You can turn of logo/hud dimming on LG oleds, not on Sony's. Turning off hdr to not make it the screen dim when playing games with hud isn't a solution do you think. Besides it was noticeable with SDR to. It's just a bad implementation of a anti burn in measure.
Mmm I'm not at home but I thought there was.
I've Got the light sensor turned off and brightness right up. But I can't remember what else. Will be home later tonight to have a good luck.

thedude

Distinguished Member

Boxinghris

A very timely review as I purchased a 77” A80J the day before a £100 price rise from £2,799 to £2,899 across most retailers.

Apparently the 77” benefits from LG’s Evo panel which isn’t the case with the smaller screens, and despite not having heat sinks it manages to achieve similar HDR brightness to the LG G1 which was far more expensive.

Can’t understand why the Evo panel - which is a major marketing tool for LG - isn’t even mentioned in Sony marketing for their 77” 80J.

Attachments

• DDC7842E-1557-44E0-9188-6579934E7301.jpeg
    DDC7842E-1557-44E0-9188-6579934E7301.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 113

Wez68

Distinguished Member
A very timely review as I purchased a 77” A80J the day before a £100 price rise from £2,799 to £2,899 across most retailers.

Apparently the 77” benefits from LG’s Evo panel which isn’t the case with the smaller screens, and despite not having heat sinks it manages to achieve similar HDR brightness to the LG G1 which was far more expensive.

Can’t understand why the Evo panel - which is a major marketing tool for LG - isn’t even mentioned in Sony marketing for their 77” 80J.
Probably didn't want to lose sales on the A90J (even though they didn't do a 77"A90J), however us owners can bask in the knowledge that we have something of a bargain :D

Boxinghris

Probably didn't want to lose sales on the A90J (even though they didn't do a 77"A90J), however us owners can bask in the knowledge that we have something of a bargain :D
Unfortunately I can’t install mine until around March so I have to rely on input from reviews and the likes of yourself to let me know how good this TV is. 😉

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately I can’t install mine until around March so I have to rely on input from reviews and the likes of yourself to let me know how good this TV is. 😉
Ohh , send it back while you can then mate ...................:rotfl::rotfl:, seriously the 77" is a great set ,March is going to drag for you:D

lgans316

Distinguished Member
77A80J is £2640 in my local Costco l, same price that I paid Marks Electrical after discount

Marks Electrical are now hiding and not responding properly. They did ask me if I wanted a refund or a new replacement which I was always clear from day 1. There has been 0 improvement in the banding as expected.

If they fail to revert by Wednesday will put a claim on my credit card.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
77A80J is £2640 in my local Costco l, same price that I paid Marks Electrical after discount

Marks Electrical are now hiding and not responding properly. They did ask me if I wanted a refund or a new replacement which I was always clear from day 1. There has been 0 improvement in the banding as expected.

That’s a poor show by the retailer !

MrMrH

I need to get mine calibrated … though I haven’t a notion where you find someone good in Ireland.

Boxinghris

Is it still that price?
Mine was cheaper in store than the online price and I get 2% back on my card, but that price was only guaranteed until December 28th and prices across Sevenoaks/Richer Sounds etc rose by £100 the day after.

Online Costco price now £2,880.

Attachments

• 3129403B-F2DB-4BBE-A00E-D4FE882C29A1.png
    3129403B-F2DB-4BBE-A00E-D4FE882C29A1.png
    854.7 KB · Views: 104

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Is it still that price?
Mine was cheaper in store than the online price and I get 2% back on my card, but that price was only guaranteed until December 28th and prices across Sevenoaks/Richer Sounds etc rose by £100 the day after.

Online Costco price now £2,880.

£2640 in store (Costco Thurrock). I checked yesterday evening. I think this will hit £2200 and go OOS.

This is the best TV I have owned period. Will be a keeper if I win the panel lottery with the replacement. This is in my master bedroom now and doesn't look big at all which means I can easily go up to 83 or 85 in the living room.

My viewing distance is about 8 feet.

Reason why it's in the bedroom is due to the imminent exchange. Otherwise would have setup in the living room.

One of the benefits of living alone in a nice and neat 2 bed flat. :)

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

This is the best TV I have owned period.
Likewise. I have the 65" and am blown away by it.
Came home from work last night and the wife was watching The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on Netflix in standard HD.
Could have sworn it was the 4k spinner version we have. It was fantastic.

Teacoffeefizzies

Novice Member
LG, Sony, Panasonic, not sure how you're suppose to pick one. They all seem really good. It seems to depend on what the latest review is I read- I'll have that one! Unless i read another review after and round it goes.

PascalP

LG, Sony, Panasonic, not sure how you're suppose to pick one. They all seem really good. It seems to depend on what the latest review is I read- I'll have that one! Unless i read another review after and round it goes.
For me personally I choose the Sony for 2 main reasons:
  • AndroidTV (had a Nvidia Shield in the living room before)
  • Acoustic Surface, which for us and the kids is ‘good enough’ for some streaming services, it even replaced my Dali 5.1 set, don’t need 2 full blown surround set in the house as we have a dedicated theatre room.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-M20xBT wireless headphones