Sony A80J vs LG C1 OLED What is a best tv for movies

Jerezano

Novice Member
I wonder how theses Sony A80J and LG C1 performs with new Apple TV 4K especially with movies like The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit or Star Wars. I have many movies like these ones and action too, I'm planning to get one of these tvs in the holidays but I can't decide yet between A80J or LG C1. I'm hopping you can help me to make my decision, than you..

maxkolonko123

Each of this models have his fans, some will sony some will say lg. Apparently according to more "wisdom" people will say if you 80% movies 20% games go with Sony if you are big on gaming go with LG each of those have pros and cons some people say webos is laggy, then some people will moan that sony have only 2x 2.1 hdmi ports in my opinion both TVs are great and I doubt a random viewer will notice much of a difference

gbjbaanb

Which one? Panasonic :)

I think you'll find Sony is the 2nd for movies, but TBH you're not going to see any real difference unless you buy all 3 and spend a weekend rewinding the same clip over and over. My personal opinion is cost and/or UI (noting that all UIs can be replaced with a Shield or stick)

deon444

Distinguished Member
I wonder how theses Sony A80J and LG C1 performs with new Apple TV 4K especially with movies like The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit or Star Wars. I have many movies like these ones and action too, I'm planning to get one of these tvs in the holidays but I can't decide yet between A80J or LG C1. I'm hopping you can help me to make my decision, than you..
Wont be much of a difference between the 2 sets,especially if correctly set up properly (calibrated).

Just get the one which meets your needs the most.

MattyBB

Sony is apparently better with handling motion. I got the LG but never expected the stutter to be so obvious. If I was to do it again I would get the Sony because any help with stutter would change my viewing experience more than any other factor. After all, apart from the latest consoles, very little content is greater than 60hz, thus stutter is apparent.

winrya

Standard Member
I was on the fence but picked up a 65” c1 today. I already had a 55” c6 which has been faultless, I just wanted it to be bigger. If I’m honest I can’t really detect any difference, looks great as it did before. I compared demos on the Sony and lg and what put me off the Sony was the Matt screen which made all the blacks look a hit more grey under the lights. The colours, blacks etc didn’t have the pop of the lg which is something I was used to and didn’t want to lose. Maybe the Sony colours are more natural but because of what I’m used to it makes them look comparatively dull.

Ref motion I always turn motion settings off

bdmc5

Standard Member
I moved for CX to 55AJ90 which is the best TV I have ever seen but only after extensively initially researching and comparing the C1 and AJ80 in weeks leading up to purchase.

In terms of Picture quality for gaming and movies I found the AJ80 better - bright whek needed and deeper blacks for movies this was side my side tests with 4K movies and PS5 . C1 wins on price and features on paper but I can’t get over the ABL issues with LG CX and C1 — if you can stretch to aj90 you’ll be utterly blown away. Highly recommend the Sony AJ80 (previous CX owner)

JayRoyal

Novice Member
I actually have the A80J right now and am returning it for the C1, so on the 4th I can give you a better update. I can say the A80J is the best tv I have had so far. If you are not used to seeing film grain, you'll definitely need to get used to it. I have heard they are a dime a piece C1 is better for gaming and has VRR and 4 HDMI 2.2 where as the A80J has no VRR and only 2 HDMI 2.2. The movie quality for the A80J is supposed to be slightly better than the C1. The gaming is definitely better for C1. Pre-calibration is hands down A80J (but can vary pannel to pannel) but post calibration can put the C1 ahead only slightly, below slightly, or even. They each have their benefits. I am interested in LGs AI vs Sony AI. I do not care about the OS as I use an Nvidia Shield Pro, otherwise the winner for that would go to Sony (Google OS) LG has WebOS.

Even though you did not mention it. The Samsung QN95 Neo QLED is right up there with it. I owned that tv as well. I definitely found the TV much more bright than the Sony A80J. Yes, the darks are not as dark around light spots (because it is a LED, but the mini "Neo" makes a huge difference and actually comes very close to OLED unless you are a super expert and can point out every pixel)

However C1 and a80j are probably a tie with a tit for tat here and there. You got to find the tit for tat that makes the difference otherwise you can't go wrong with either, or any three of the ones I mentioned tbh. If you do google search after google search you will consistantly find the C1 ahead of the A80J by 1 spot. It actually on some sites (reputable) have the C1 above the a90j.

bdmc5

Standard Member
I bought my CX over a year ago on the basis its the best price to gaming spec option on the market but unfortunately what it repeatedly not mentioned as in your comment is that this all depends ON your gaming setup is. As a PS5 gamer, the console doesnt support features like VRR and i only needed 1 HDMI 2.1 ( 2 Max) so i had all these great specs on my CX like VRR and Gysnc, extra ports i would not use and totally underwhelming gaming experience because of the aggressive ABL, the picture gets so dim on CX/C1. Additionally i couldnt mount my TV and i really hated that CX stand travels nearly 2/3 the length of TV front and back and the TV sits too low to put a soundbar in front of TV

After that experience i wanted the best & brightest picture and sound possible on an OLED but still a TV that would make the most of PS5 next gen features like 120hz , HDMI 2.1 so i identified the A90J after weeks of testing 55 C1/G1, Samsung QN95, Philips & Panasonic TVs.

I do think if you are a PC/Xbox gamer and need the lowest possible input lag for multiplayer games then the Sony is not the best choice for you. I definitely recommended people get the G1 at a minimum and avoid the C1/CX as the peak brightness, ABL issues are deal breakers for many. its just my opinion you cant compare the C1 to A90J in terms picture quality and sound - its only ever mentioned in same breath because of price and gaming features (many of which are not available on PS5) so the LG G1 is much more reasonable comparison in terms of quality and brightness.

I have just recently purchased the 55 Philips 806 for downstairs TV (2.5 times cheaper than A90J) so look forward now to a different experience with abilight for the first time - the TV was a real dark horse when i was buying my A90J.

Last edited:

bdmc5

Standard Member
I bought my CX over a year ago on the basis its the best price to gaming spec option on the market but unfortunately what it repeatedly not mentioned as in your comment is that this all depends ON your gaming setup is. As a PS5 gamer, the console doesnt support features like VRR and i only needed 1 HDMI 2.1 ( 2 Max) so i had all these great specs on my CX like VRR and Gysnc, extra ports i i would not use as well a totally underwhelming gaming experience because of the aggressive ABL, the picture gets so dim on CX/C1. Additionally i couldnt mount my TV and i hated the CX stand that is travels nearly 2/3 the length of TV front and back and the TV sits too low to put a soundbar in front of TV. The sound on the A90j sound is so good i was able to sell my soundbar and have the TV flush to my stand with legs to the side so its looks so much better.

After that experience i wanted the best & brightest picture possible on an OLED but still a TV that would make the most of PS5 next gen features like 120hz , HDMI 2.1 so i identified the A90J after weeks of testing 55 C1/G1, Samsung QN95, Philips & Panasonic TVs.

I do think if you are a PC/Xbox gamer and need the lowest possible input lag for multiplayer games then the Sony prob is not the best choice for you. I definitely recommended people get the G1 at A minimum and avoid the C1/CX as the peak brightness, ABL issues are deal breakers for many. ts just my opinion you cant compare the C1 to A90J in terms picture quality and sound - its only ever mentioned in same breath because of price and gaming features (many of which are not available on PS5) so the LG G1 is much more reasonable comparison.

I have just recently purchased the 55 Philips 806 for downstairs TV (2.5 times cheaper than A90J) so look forward now to a different experience with abilight for the first time.

JayRoyal

Novice Member
You are correct about the thePS5 not offering VRR, therefore making my point moot about the C1 being better for gaming for only the PS5 as this feature will not help you at all if you own a PS5. You are also correct that when doing comparisons on "which is the best tv" where I said the LG C1 is constantly ranked #1, it is in terms of quality, price, and features and if the price increase from product a to product b is really worth the money. e.g. the LG C and A80J are same price points. therefore price is taken out of the equation when comparing them. the LG G1 vs the LG C1. The G1 is bout 600-700$ more for the 65" version. So is the G1 worth the extra $600 for extra brightness? I was debating on getting the G1 tbh and I LOVED how thin it was. I was just going to buy a stand from amazon because I do not want to wall mount it at this point. However I opted for the C1 because I want a 77" ultimately. And I believe the G1 will fall in price by the time I am ready for the 77" (when my remodeling is done and my living room is larger) However there will be new 2022 models that come out that will eventually drive this 2021 prices down. And since it is the beginning of 2022 as of today, I would not buy the highest end 2021 model for the reason being, any month a new model will come out and that price will drop instantly.

I am curious as to you QN95. How did you like the QLED? I actually found it quite nice. Honestly I just wanted the OLED because its well....an OLED. I thought the picture was amazing, and the OS was actually really nice.

fluxedman

I bought my CX over a year ago on the basis its the best price to gaming spec option on the market but unfortunately what it repeatedly not mentioned as in your comment is that this all depends ON your gaming setup is. As a PS5 gamer, the console doesnt support features like VRR and i only needed 1 HDMI 2.1 ( 2 Max) so i had all these great specs on my CX like VRR and Gysnc, extra ports i would not use and totally underwhelming gaming experience because of the aggressive ABL, the picture gets so dim on CX/C1. Additionally i couldnt mount my TV and i really hated that CX stand travels nearly 2/3 the length of TV front and back and the TV sits too low to put a soundbar in front of TV

After that experience i wanted the best & brightest picture and sound possible on an OLED but still a TV that would make the most of PS5 next gen features like 120hz , HDMI 2.1 so i identified the A90J after weeks of testing 55 C1/G1, Samsung QN95, Philips & Panasonic TVs.

I do think if you are a PC/Xbox gamer and need the lowest possible input lag for multiplayer games then the Sony is not the best choice for you. I definitely recommended people get the G1 at a minimum and avoid the C1/CX as the peak brightness, ABL issues are deal breakers for many. its just my opinion you cant compare the C1 to A90J in terms picture quality and sound - its only ever mentioned in same breath because of price and gaming features (many of which are not available on PS5) so the LG G1 is much more reasonable comparison in terms of quality and brightness.

I have just recently purchased the 55 Philips 806 for downstairs TV (2.5 times cheaper than A90J) so look forward now to a different experience with abilight for the first time - the TV was a real dark horse when i was buying my A90J.

Am quite surprised you mentioned that the CX had ABL issues, I think I saw it once when I owned it for a few months. Not been part of that CX thread lately so might have missed the aggressive ABL issues of the CX or C1 of late.

If anything I read the opposite and that it was Sony OLEDS with more aggressive ABL over LGs, but guess it can go both ways.

For me personally, I use to like LG but they left a bitter taste in my mouth with my CX purchase, it went faulty within months of owning it, the quality control appears to be either poor or rushed within LG. Maybe covid caused much of these issues its hard to tell or maybe I just got unlucky, id like to try my luck with Sony this year but will wait for the reviews, but ABL issues do still worry me, especially when I know LG at least in the engineers menu you can switch it off to a good degree.

bdmc5

Standard Member
My original aim was my sell my CX and my 3 year old LG 55B7 and use the funds and the fact it’s was my 40th birthday to splurge on replacing them with a sony 55A80J for my mancave and my downstairs with the Samsung 55QN95a as a much brighter room.

I considered the A90J out of budget (as did my wife :) ) but after a demo and playing a Ps5 and movies on it just blew me away and I was hooked . The matte vs gloss screen on a90 vs a80 makes a big difference at the 55 inch range. I decided to scrap buying 2 TVs and just get the best one in my opinion after weeks of research.

The Samsung was my 2nd favourite i have 2 friends who bought the QN95 And both had to get theirs replaced multiple times due to one connect boxes blackouts with sky and consoles (complaints all over Google forums too) so that’s felt too risky and I’m not paying similar price for QN94a when i might need a 2nd hdmi 2.1 (that only has 1). The Philips 55 806 does have some reported audio bugs as well but I won’t be using a soundbar. it’s extremely impressive TV for 1199 euro and very underrated here in Ireland in my opinion.

Finally, you have to see it in the flesh but G1 is worth the premium over C1 in my opinion. The extra brightness makes all the difference but mounting and limited stand options won’t suit everyone.

Last edited:

bdmc5

Standard Member
Am quite surprised you mentioned that the CX had ABL issues, I think I saw it once when I owned it for a few months. Not been part of that CX thread lately so might have missed the aggressive ABL issues of the CX or C1 of late.

If anything I read the opposite and that it was Sony OLEDS with more aggressive ABL over LGs, but guess it can go both ways.

For me personally, I use to like LG but they left a bitter taste in my mouth with my CX purchase, it went faulty within months of owning it, the quality control appears to be either poor or rushed within LG. Maybe covid caused much of these issues its hard to tell or maybe I just got unlucky, id like to try my luck with Sony this year but will wait for the reviews, but ABL issues do still worry me, especially when I know LG at least in the engineers menu you can switch it off to a good degree.
I couldn’t turn off ABL fully in game mode on CX despite every tip online I tried . Im not sure what Sony models your are referring too but the A90J has heatsync tech incorporated allowing the TV push out much more HDR brightness than the CX I owned . The difference side by side was so dramatic you really need to see it in the flesh to understand what I’m saying.

I really regretted buying the CX - the problem with the A80J is not ABL but the matte finish screen in the 55 inch size seems dull the image abit. In comparison gloss screen finish on a90j and higher peak brightness is simply stunning.

fluxedman

I couldn’t turn off ABL fully in game mode on CX despite every tip online I tried . Im not sure what Sony models your are referring too but the A90J has heatsync tech incorporated allowing the TV push out much more HDR brightness than the CX I owned . The difference side by side was so dramatic you really need to see it in the flesh to understand what I’m saying.

I really regretted buying the CX - the problem with the A80J is not ABL but the matte finish screen in the 55 inch size seems dull the image abit. In comparison gloss screen finish on a90j and higher peak brightness is simply stunning.

A80js with the ABL issues, it was one my original reasons for going LG CX. Did you turn it off via the secret engineers LG menu?

Heard from one user, even the Sony a90j can get ABL issues but its an issue across all the OLED manufacturers, probably most won't notice it anyhow or its so minor its ignored.

Yeah so many choices, I do wish Philips and Panasonic would release their range, same time as Sony and LG though.

JayRoyal

Novice Member
Ok so I did return the A80J and got my C1 today. As I stated I would tell you the results. Out of the box I was very dissatisfied with the C1. It was much darker than the A80J and the remote is not as good in my opinion (although it does have a cursor like point your remote and move it around like a mouse)

After calibrating it (as much as you can by eye, using rtings for both A80J and C1) and then twerking some settings to my likings for both...I think the Sony is brighter for sure. Not too too much after making adjustments on the C1. I did not have much time with the A80J but with the C1 (just got today) I find that there seems to be more customizable settings and they seem to work better (for what I need). I could not get rid of grain on the Sony for the movie American Gangster. Pure film grain. I don't mind it but in that movie it was overwhelming. I used every noise reduction combination possible with the Sony...to only a very slight success. With the C1 I put two settings to LOW and it filtered out enough to make it watchable. I like and don't mind film grain but that movie was overwhelming and the low setting was perfect. Adjusting the gama to 2.2 and a few other settings made the tv much much brighter.

The soap opera effect. Where Sony has I think 3 options, you can choose between 3 for the C1 as well or customize it 0 to 10. I hate soap opera effect, but I like a TAD BIT of smoothness so I put it on 2 or 1. The OS in my opinion is much better with the Sony. However idc about that as I use an Nvidia shield Pro.

For movies in general Sony wins. For customization with content and filtering to you liking I think LG wins. However Sony is brighter and you definitely have to tweek the LG alot more. I would recommend the G1 with it's new panel and increases brightness for a few hundred more as that is what I am going to do. It does not come with a stand but there are many on Amazon for 30$ which would allow your sound bar to fit under the tv as well.

To me so far it's a tie. But the piece of mind I can customize my content better with the LG will keep me with LG. The slight decrease in brightness will make me most likely go to the G1. (I came from the Samsung QLED QN95 with I THINK 1500nits to the A80J with half that if not less, to the C1 with even less), so maybe If just comparing those two, C1 and A80J the brightness isn't much of a difference. I can't compare them side by side, but watching one (the A80J) and the other (C1) in the same day, and same show (F.B.I) I think the C1 has a more clear picture just not as bright

My experience with the two one after the next.
Sony Pros:
Better out of box calibration
Better brightness
Better OS
Better Remote
Sony Cons:
Not as visual customization
Not as clear or a picture
Not as good for gaming
Updates for Sony always lag behind.

Pros for LG
Everything that is a Con for the Sony is a pro for LG
Cons for LG
Everything that is a pro for Sony is a con for LG. However most of the cons get erased with the G1 for a few hundred more then the C1

If anyone else has owned BOTH these TV's..
Not watched videos on both, not seen both in store side by side, but OWNED both please weigh in and give your thoughts. I don't care about reviews and specs and ratings I'm talking about literal in real action personal comparison or both TV's as a consumer and which one fit your needs best. For me after a very disappointing unboxing and operation of the C1, a few hours of tweeks during a show after using rtings guide has the C1 ahead for me and I have not even gamed yet (a strong spot for LG over the Sony unless you're using PS 5)

Pedros

Standard Member
So… using a PS5 for gaming,
will it be a tie between LG and Sony, since VRR is not supported on both console and tv?

I'm in the middle of choosing one of those ... and I did have a chance to try both and ... unless you are comparing in the paper ... both look stellar for gaming.
Of course, I play in the living room with my son and I don't play competitive FPS.

But in terms of overall feeling, I really didn't think there was anything troublesome.

One of the things I notice on my 910v ( 2015 ), is some motion stuttering and I'm worried about the reports that C1 also shows that?

It's not a dealbreaker but one of the reasons I wanted to swap my 910v OLED was because I thought that the processor was getting old and motion stutter was something I would not get with newer TVs...

Last edited:

MattyBB

It's not a dealbreaker but one of the reasons I wanted to swap my 910v OLED was because I thought that the processor was getting old and motion stutter was something I would not get with newer TVs...
Hi @Pedros,

Sadly, the majority of current TV/Movie content is 30 or 60 fps, so stutter is inherent with OLED since the OLED pixels change almost instantly, which is noticable with the naked eye (some people more than others). Stutter seems most apparent when pixels need to change colour or brightness suddenly, such as fast moving scenes.

What has improved over time is the image/motion processing/smoothing that helps to reduce how noticable this phenomenon is. This is typically achieved by inserting additional frames that are created by the TV's internal processor on the fly. But this has some drawbacks including longer processing time (gamers like to minimise this) and the occasional inclusion of "artifacts", which are essentially things that appear in the image for a moment which never existed in the original content (caused by processing errors in additional frame creation).

On my LG CX 65, the motion processing is called TruMotion. I use it all the time and think it's ok but it's not perfect; I can't stand the stutter without it though. I have consistently read/heard that the Sony OLED's are the best at motion processing, so if stutter is something you are sensitive to (like me), you may wish to take that into consideration.

Please be aware that with 120hz content, OLED stutter is far less noticable (if at all). Moreover, 120hz content actually enables OLED to play to it's strengths, where the pixels refresh so quickly it allows for a crisper image than with LCD panels whre pixels refresh more slowly.

Hope that helps 👍

Pedros

Standard Member
Hi @Pedros,

Sadly, the majority of current TV/Movie content is 30 or 60 fps, so stutter is inherent with OLED since the OLED pixels change almost instantly, which is noticable with the naked eye (some people more than others). Stutter seems most apparent when pixels need to change colour or brightness suddenly, such as fast moving scenes.

What has improved over time is the image/motion processing/smoothing that helps to reduce how noticable this phenomenon is. This is typically achieved by inserting additional frames that are created by the TV's internal processor on the fly. But this has some drawbacks including longer processing time (gamers like to minimise this) and the occasional inclusion of "artifacts", which are essentially things that appear in the image for a moment which never existed in the original content (caused by processing errors in additional frame creation).

On my LG CX 65, the motion processing is called TruMotion. I use it all the time and think it's ok but it's not perfect; I can't stand the stutter without it though. I have consistently read/heard that the Sony OLED's are the best at motion processing, so if stutter is something you are sensitive to (like me), you may wish to take that into consideration.

Please be aware that with 120hz content, OLED stutter is far less noticable (if at all). Moreover, 120hz content actually enables OLED to play to it's strengths, where the pixels refresh so quickly it allows for a crisper image than with LCD panels whre pixels refresh more slowly.

Hope that helps 👍

It really did my friend. Thank you so much. This helps me set my expectations, to be honest.
Plus, I was torn between LG C1 and Sony A84 ... (A90 is out of my league) and this is also helping me in that regard.

I play a lot with my kid, must be honest, but I truly believe that I won't see many shortcomings in Sony vs LG (some people are carefully searching for shortcomings, even if in the paper ... since I don't do that on a daily basis I guess I'll be happy with either of the TVs).

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom