Sony A80J to replace beloved VT60?

isaihsan

Novice Member
Reaction score
I 'replaced' my KRP 500M with a 65” VT60 and it's been my favorite TV ever. The Kuro was amazing until it started to develop the red tint. (We still have it, but never use it.) I've been avoiding a new TV because plasma makes me feel warm and fuzzy and my Panny is still amazing. But I just bought my wife a PS5 and it's still not hooked up because we don't have a 4K TV...she's reluctant to use it on 1080p.

It looks to me like I'd be happiest with a 77" A80J (we view from ~8ft), but I'm worried I just won't like it compared to the Panny. We mostly stream content for viewing, but my wife games about 3-5 times as much as we watch series/movies. I will get some classics on 4k discs, but we mostly use Prime, Netflix, Hulu...sometimes Apple and Disney.

So I'm debating either replacing the Panny with a bigger Sony, or just getting a 65" C1 for my wife to game on in a separate room (she's been a Playstation loyalist but since Microsoft has some new exclusives coming this year she wants to get an Xboz as well, so C1 seems a better fit).

To those who have had the better plasmas and newest OLEDs, what would you recommend? Should I make the switch or just appease the wife?

Recently upgraded a fully functioning 55vt60 for a 65" a80j, because I had the upgrade itch and the a80j was on offer. Its a definite improvement in so many ways, and I loved the panasonic. 4k is nice to have, as well as the very slim bezels. It's also brighter than the plasma, and less power hungry. That warm feeling you have with the plasma is real, it uses up way more power.

Do i think it's a major upgrade? In all honesty no. Do I regret the upgrade? No, I can't see myself going back. Still got the panny, it's an amazing set, best of it's time. But that was a long time ago and features are always being updated. If I had a spare room for only movie viewing I'd put it up there for sure.

That's my experience.

Recently upgraded a fully functioning 55vt60 for a 65" a80j, because I had the upgrade itch and the a80j was on offer. Its a definite improvement in so many ways, and I loved the panasonic. 4k is nice to have, as well as the very slim bezels. It's also brighter than the plasma, and less power hungry. That warm feeling you have with the plasma is real, it uses up way more power.

Do i think it's a major upgrade? In all honesty no. Do I regret the upgrade? No, I can't see myself going back. Still got the panny, it's an amazing set, best of it's time. But that was a long time ago and features are always being updated. If I had a spare room for only movie viewing I'd put it up there for sure.

That's my experience.
What panny was ever better than the Pioneer Kuros?

What panny was ever better than the Pioneer Kuros?

In my humble opinion, even the best Panasonic plasmas didn't beat the best of the earlier Kuros, and as you can see I have both. For sheer glossy smoothness, the Pioneer LX5090 is still better than the Panasonic 65VT65. And slightly deeper blacks too on the Pioneer.

In my humble opinion, even the best Panasonic plasmas didn't beat the best of the earlier Kuros, and as you can see I have both. For sheer glossy smoothness, the Pioneer LX5090 is still better than the Panasonic 65VT65. And slightly deeper blacks too on the Pioneer.
I agree that no Panny ever beat the best Pioneers. I have two of them, and some consider the KRP-500M to be the best of the best.

But there is a significant difference in the viewing experience between any of my three plasma's and a 77A80J.

Just replaced my Panasonic 50VT20 with a Sony 55A90J huge upgrade. Not missing the Plasma at all.

@r6biddy I'm not surprised! Your VT20 is three generations before the last Panasonic plasma generaion, the VT65, and the Sony A90J series is considered to be one of the two best televisons of last year, along with the Panasonic V2000 (I think) series. So there's a big improvement, yes.

The A80j will blow the Panny out of the water once you change to OLED you’ll never go back I just got the A8 OLED Sony and was looking at the C1 but something made me go for the Sony it doesn’t have VRR and 120hz but I have a ps5 and at 60fps full 4K it looks superb well going from Sky Glass I guess anything would,I’m not sure if the A80j has a complete hdmi setup with the 120hz and VRR I read they was going to add it via firmware update something to look at before you get it,have a look at both I did look at the C1 but when I viewed the Sony It looked a lot more filmic either way they’re both cracking tvs

Thanks for the feedback. Waiting for prices to drop once the A80K comes out, then I'll grab a J. Hopefully next month.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom