Sony A80J Problems - Visual Noise

JayRoyal

Novice Member
Reaction score
I originally bought a QLED Samsung QN90. I was watching a movie, American Gangster. It seemed during the white scenes you could see visual noise, it looked like it had a lot of static in the white scene. I thought it was a tv problem. I returned it and upgraded to a Sony A80J OLED 77". Same movie same problem. I have read that the problem could be the shooting of the film and the cameras that were used to shoot it. I am noticing a lot of visual noise, mainly the static in white scenes from many sources, e.g. netflix, hulu, amazon, my own plex library of my UHD collection. A lot of 1080p content looks better than 4k content. My TV was calibrated using rtings guide on the tv. Disney Plus (where the movies are made by computers and not shot with a camera) look amazing and beautiful. However, a lot of other content looks fuzzy in white areas. Is this a problem with a high end TV where it makes some sub par shot content look like crap? A calibration issue, a source issue, a combination, or possibly something else. Does anyone else have these problems on other OLEDS, and if so what was their solution?

Sounds like you're seeing the film grain? Some people love it and others hate it. I'm in the grain camp myself.

1080p SDR may look a little less grainy due to the lower resolution and also HDR tends to emphasise grain a little too. I don't have American Gangster on UHD. Have you tried directly from disc rather than a stream? is it possible it could be a compression issue?

Sounds like you're seeing the film grain? Some people love it and others hate it. I'm in the grain camp myself.

1080p SDR may look a little less grainy due to the lower resolution and also HDR tends to emphasise grain a little too. I don't have American Gangster on UHD. Have you tried directly from disc rather than a stream? is it possible it could be a compression issue?

Yeah that is what I have been seeing a lot of. Film grain. It was not compressed at all when I ripped it. It was a 1:1 copy. Maybe im just used to everything looking so smooth because those low end tvs filter it out or cant display the image as good as the higher end OLED / Neo QLED tvs. It plays fine and normal on my cheap 65" UHD Hisense tv that was $500. But again that tv, even though it has HDR HDR10 and Dolby Vision, does not have the image quality as a OLED or QLED (especially the Mini LED) which I am starting to think is the reason behind being able to see the film grain more. I thought it could be a visual noise thing so I bought a level 2 noise filtering surge protector / regulator. It did not help with the TV at all. BUT it helped with my Nakamichi 9.2.4. The rear speakers cut out a lot because of interference. I did all the changes Nakamichi recommended but still had in and outs with the rears. Now its almost negligible how much they cut out so I decided to keep that.
I am sure I will get used to the film grain. It seems like the newer 2019 + movies have not much grain, maybe because the filming cameras are much better where as American Gangster was a 2007 movie. I am not sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom