Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I hate updates. My TV is calibrated so every single one of them makes me nervous 😂.

Got it sorted. Had to switch off at the mains and took out Hdmi cables then put them back in to sync with my system.

Does anyone worry about nearly all new Dolby Vision/HDR content having black bars.

Hardly anything is full screen now and surly this can’t be good for our Oled

Does anyone worry about nearly all new Dolby Vision/HDR content having black bars.

Hardly anything is full screen now and surly this can’t be good for our Oled
I don't and that's coming from someone who dreaded getting an OLED due to the possibility of IR and Burn-in 👍

Is there a remote control battery indicator anywhere? Seems I only find out my batteries are dying when the bluetooth stops working and it falls back to IR. nVidia Shield used to tell me when its remote was dying.

Is there a remote control battery indicator anywhere? Seems I only find out my batteries are dying when the bluetooth stops working and it falls back to IR. nVidia Shield used to tell me when its remote was dying.
Would like to know this as well..

Yeah I've tried this but no luck.☹️

I've actually got another problem where sometimes when I try to power on the TV from standby I get no picture but I do get sound, even if I hit menu on the TV nothing happens and the only way I can fix it is by switching the TV off at the wall.

Hope my TV isn't on the way out!
Same thing happened to me today, the Tv turned "On" from standby as i could see the "white led" light up when using the power button on the tv remote.
The screen was blank & the only way to get the screen to show the "home screen" was to turn it off & then On again from the remote. I am on the latest firmware.

Same thing happened to me today, the Tv turned "On" from standby as i could see the "white led" light up when using the power button on the tv remote.
The screen was blank & the only way to get the screen to show the "home screen" was to turn it off & then On again from the remote. I am on the latest firmware.
Glad to see I'm not alone in this one! I ended up doing a factory reset which is a bit of a pain but I haven't seen the issue since "touch wood"

It's only been about 3 days but considering I was seeing the issue pretty much daily I'm hoping it's sorted it.

Glad to see I'm not alone in this one! I ended up doing a factory reset which is a bit of a pain but I haven't seen the issue since "touch wood"

It's only been about 3 days but considering I was seeing the issue pretty much daily I'm hoping it's sorted it.
Guess that will fix it, i don't get it everyday just once in a way, factory reset is a pia.
Will have to do it if the issue comes frequently. Do update if the issue arises again, hope it doesn't 🤞

Seems like most of you guys leave the TV on standby when not in use .3 days a week for about 12 hours a day my broadband and AV gears are fully down when I go to work. The power plugs are fully pulled out. Probably this is why I have never done a factory reset or experienced any slowness for ages.

Vertical bands on mine has improved a wee bit. Surprisingly I haven't any experienced any wi-fi drop outs for about 2 weeks.

Has anybody installed the Paramount + app and got it to work? I have the app via Sky Q but can't seem to get in to the TVs app.

I use the app .. just use your Sky Q e-mail and password. I think it’s a better motion through the app rather than the Sky box ..🤷‍♂️
I've now managed to get in to the TVs Paramount + app but nothing seems to happen when I click on 'watch now' for movies or TV shows.

I'm currently changing my internet provider so I can get an improved broadband speed (was limited to 56 Mbps with the BT line) and was looking forward to viewing some iMax enhanced streams on Bravia Core. I've not been on Bravia Core for some time and had forgotten my subscription had expired. The only films I can play or view are the ones I purchased with the 5 tokens, no option to do anything else. Bummer. :(

I've now managed to get in to the TVs Paramount + app but nothing seems to happen when I click on 'watch now' for movies or TV shows.
Just reboot the TV from settings and it works … It did for me.. Just the small reboot not the factory reset because mine was doing the same.. I watch all Paramount+ through the TV app.. Just blitzing through “Yellow stone “ at the moment..

Just reboot the TV from settings and it works … It did for me.. Just the small reboot not the factory reset because mine was doing the same.. I watch all Paramount+ through the TV app.. Just blitzing through “Yellow stone “ at the moment..
Long press on power also does a restart.

Fixed my issue yesterday when there were lip sync issues from Amazon Prime Video.

Does this small reboot affect any of the TV settings or does it literally just restart the TV?

Edit: just tried disconnecting tv from power point and it seems to have worked. I noticed something else. I put on an episode of Star Trek Discovery - the programme description mentioned Dolby Vision where on the Sky Q version of the app it didn't. Regardless of the description, I still couldn't get the programme to play with Dolby Vision - it remained HD only.

Last edited:
Does this small reboot affect any of the TV settings or does it literally just restart the TV?

Edit: just tried disconnecting tv from power point and it seems to have worked. I noticed something else. I put on an episode of Star Trek Discovery - the programme description mentioned Dolby Vision where on the Sky Q version of the app it didn't. Regardless of the description, I still couldn't get the programme to play with Dolby Vision - it remained HD only.
No. It didn’t on mine. I just went into setting, Then System, and pressed Restart.. I don’t like watching apps off the the Sky because I get a lot of motion stutter but don’t with the TV apps. I only get it in HD with Paramount +but still a great picture.. Only Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon I get Dolby or UHD .

Does the long press of the power button restart reset any of the settings ?

I'm currently changing my internet provider so I can get an improved broadband speed (was limited to 56 Mbps with the BT line) and was looking forward to viewing some iMax enhanced streams on Bravia Core. I've not been on Bravia Core for some time and had forgotten my subscription had expired. The only films I can play or view are the ones I purchased with the 5 tokens, no option to do anything else. Bummer. :(
Even worse if you've not used it for a few months and you try to sign back in to find they've deleted your account and the 3 remaining tokens with it, like me! :thumbsdow

Even worse if you've not used it for a few months and you try to sign back in to find they've deleted your account and the 3 remaining tokens with it, like me! :thumbsdow
How long is it since you bought the TV.
AFAIK The free tokens are only available to use for 12 months from date of purchase.

Just wanna know what other people do with switching off their TVs from the plug socket. I always leave my tv on standby at night but I’m going away to Turkey in August for 2weeks and been told never switch off your oled’s tvs .. would you leave it on or switch it off while going on holiday.

Just wanna know what other people do with switching off their TVs from the plug socket. I always leave my tv on standby at night but I’m going away to Turkey in August for 2weeks and been told never switch off your oled’s tvs .. would you leave it on or switch it off while going on holiday.
Switch it off as if it accidentally comes on for some reason(Android os) you will be bummed when u are back. If you are worried about the compensation cycles not happening, those happen after turning the tv off & leaving it on standby for 4hrs. U don't need to leave the tv on standby for 2 weeks for this reason.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom