Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I thought it was from reality creation which I use at 50 for hd movies etc but nope. Not sure wth causes it.

It's near black chrominance overshoot.

I thought it was from reality creation which I use at 50 for hd movies etc but nope. Not sure wth causes it.
Do you use reality Creation for 4k HDR movies? I have it on 20 for SDR and 55 for HDR movies on my X95J and it looks good.

I leave it at 50 all times pretty much.

Did you mean Sharpness at 50?

Reality creation - Off for 4K discs / 25 for the rest on mine.

The near black issue I reported has got nothing to do with reality creation.

Did you mean Sharpness at 50?

Reality creation - Off for 4K discs / 25 for the rest on mine.

The near black issue I reported has got nothing to do with reality creation.
Yeah I just answered his question about using rc. Even for hdr discs I keep rc at 45 to 50. Makes everything pop more to me without overdoing it. I've read some put it at like 70.

Sherwood in UHD on the native iPlayer looking superb on my 77

Need to upgrade from my 65" XG95. Would you rather go for Sony 77A84J 77" or LG G1 77"? Both currently the same price here in Finland (2999e). Or even stretch to the 83" A90J that's 4444e currently. I mostly watch films/shows, occasional gaming (Forza on Series X). Pretty sensitive to the OLED stutter so good motion is a must.

Need to upgrade from my 65" XG95. Would you rather go for Sony 77A84J 77" or LG G1 77"? Both currently the same price here in Finland (2999e). Or even stretch to the 83" A90J that's 4444e currently. I mostly watch films/shows, occasional gaming (Forza on Series X). Pretty sensitive to the OLED stutter so good motion is a must.
Get the sony 77-84j I've got 2 lg oled and prefer the sony.

Having owned the Sony for around 6 months I have to say it’s a great Oled, however if I was to choose again I would probably go for the LG, I just prefer the WebOS

Having owned the Sony for around 6 months I have to say it’s a great Oled, however if I was to choose again I would probably go for the LG, I just prefer the WebOS
You are right. The webOS on the LG is great. But I got the sony for picture quality.

Quick one. I've only noticed this on football, but when I'm watching, say, England's implosion last night on 4hd, every few minutes the picture would do like a frame skip. Sound always seemed ok.
I've tried moving film mode from low to off, and moved up and down the other motion settings, is it smoothnes and cleanness.

It's irritating.
Thanks

Quick one. I've only noticed this on football, but when I'm watching, say, England's implosion last night on 4hd, every few minutes the picture would do like a frame skip. Sound always seemed ok.
I've tried moving film mode from low to off, and moved up and down the other motion settings, is it smoothnes and cleanness.

It's irritating.
Thanks
Try supporting another team. Only joking. Think I've had the before but can't remember.

I have a 55C1 and a 77”A80J ,and the WebOS on the C1 is terrible ,so much lag .

Do you use Dolby-dark with Reality creation on /25?

For streaming yes but not for 4K discs.

I switch between Dark and Bright as DV implementation on the Sony is flaky

Just over 100 hours ran up on the 77 A80J. Absolutely love this TV. I had a nightmare with 2 77" LG CX's. Panels were awful (banding, dark patch, grid/brush stroke/venetian blind effect).

I have no such issues with the A80J along with the processing and motion (especially for live sport on Sky).

It's almost the perfect TV. I say almost due to pink tint. Now in most situations I do not notice but it seems to be worse on green backgrounds so watching golf I definitely see it. It's not just off axis issue either. I sit pretty much in front of the TV. Looking off the side is definitely worse though.

Still at this stage I'm willing to live with it because apart from pink tint the panel is pretty much perfect.

Suddenly started getting loads of WiFi dropouts the last few days. I've bought the USB3 ethernet dongle recommend in this thread to be delivered tmrw. Hopefully that fixes it and maintains the WiFi speed for Bravia Core. I was going to do this originally, but WiFi has been very stable up until now.

As others have mused, I can't fathom why they do not include gigabit ports on TVs like this, they're cheap as chips!

Just over 100 hours ran up on the 77 A80J. Absolutely love this TV. I had a nightmare with 2 77" LG CX's. Panels were awful (banding, dark patch, grid/brush stroke/venetian blind effect).

I have no such issues with the A80J along with the processing and motion (especially for live sport on Sky).

It's almost the perfect TV. I say almost due to pink tint. Now in most situations I do not notice but it seems to be worse on green backgrounds so watching golf I definitely see it. It's not just off axis issue either. I sit pretty much in front of the TV. Looking off the side is definitely worse though.

Still at this stage I'm willing to live with it because apart from pink tint the panel is pretty much perfect.

Just on the tinting issue. It's a little worse than I thought. For some reason it effects the straight on view as much as the at and angle view. So if I sit straight in front of the middle of the screen I see pink tint straight in front of me and the side are clean.

It must be due to proximity as I sit about 7.5 feet from a 77" TV.

I'm definitely seeing it in normal content which is annoying. I thought I had the perfect panel and it was so close. I do find it amusing that LGD keep "fixing" or "improving" other issues (banding, grid etc) and then introducing new issues. I've read that it's caused by the coating on the panel, but why or what are they doing differently to previous panels that didn't have this issue?

Anyone else with a 77" that sits relatively close notice similar issues? I'm probably just going to have to live with it as I'm assuming they are all just as bad.

Just on the tinting issue. It's a little worse than I thought. For some reason it effects the straight on view as much as the at and angle view. So if I sit straight in front of the middle of the screen I see pink tint straight in front of me and the side are clean.

It must be due to proximity as I sit about 7.5 feet from a 77" TV.

I'm definitely seeing it in normal content which is annoying. I thought I had the perfect panel and it was so close. I do find it amusing that LGD keep "fixing" or "improving" other issues (banding, grid etc) and then introducing new issues. I've read that it's caused by the coating on the panel, but why or what are they doing differently to previous panels that didn't have this issue?

Anyone else with a 77" that sits relatively close notice similar issues? I'm probably just going to have to live with it as I'm assuming they are all just as bad.
I have no tint on my 77”

I have no tint on my 77”
Still don't think I want to play the lottery again. Could end up with something much worse.

Ironically when watching movies if I sit slight off centre it's better as the tint moves perpendicular to my seating position and I focus on the centre of the screen mostly.

Suddenly started getting loads of WiFi dropouts the last few days. I've bought the USB3 ethernet dongle recommend in this thread to be delivered tmrw. Hopefully that fixes it and maintains the WiFi speed for Bravia Core. I was going to do this originally, but WiFi has been very stable up until now.

As others have mused, I can't fathom why they do not include gigabit ports on TVs like this, they're cheap as chips!

I am convinced the Wi-Fi adapter is of poor quality. Yes, there are some issues with Wi-Fi in my home but I think the Wi-Fi on Sony TVs are sensitive to drop-outs.

I am convinced the Wi-Fi adapter is of poor quality. Yes, there are some issues with Wi-Fi in my home but I think the Wi-Fi on Sony TVs are sensitive to drop-outs.
I think you're right. It has to be the Sony, I don't see this with any other device in my house and the TV is about 5m away from the router.. I even tried giving a static IP in case of a clash.

Still don't think I want to play the lottery again. Could end up with something much worse.

Ironically when watching movies if I sit slight off centre it's better as the tint moves perpendicular to my seating position and I focus on the centre of the screen mostly.
Tbh I’ve had 4 Sony Oleds so far and they have all been great for lack of tint ,something I cannot say for the LG sets I’ve had in the past

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom