Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Is there a remote control battery indicator anywhere? Seems I only find out my batteries are dying when the bluetooth stops working and it falls back to IR. nVidia Shield used to tell me when its remote was dying.
I get a warning in the top right hand corner of the screen “your remote batter levels are low” or something to that effect.

Tried all motion settings off, still does it. Sadly. Will try game fanatic settings but yeh, VT did say film mode low for UK TV.
Did you make any headway on this? Had my A80J 77 tv for the best part of a year now, recently starting to stutter on some content. Every min or so like clockwork.

Did you make any headway on this? Had my A80J 77 tv for the best part of a year now, recently starting to stutter on some content. Every min or so like clockwork.
Stutter on a regular basis sounds like frame rate mis match.

24 played at 25 displays very obvious stutter every one second.
23.97 played at 24 stutters every ~40 seconds (42 iirc)
Etc etc etc.

Just my two penn'orth

Very quiet on here are we all busy loving are a80j's
Lol yes. I was active on here a bit ago when I first got it but I've been so busy watching things I haven't bee posting in a while.

I do have a slightly weird question that maybe someone can clarify for me ...

Does anyone else notice that certain shows are "noisy" in the background? In other words, a lot of little movement. I think I notice this the most from old content or when I'm watching something through my cable box as opposed to streaming. Most recently, The Old Man on FX has shown this the most. Is this a condition of "upscaling?" Hopefully I'm explaining it properly.

MyVery quiet on here are we all busy loving are a80j's
Still loving it every day 😁.

yas omg GIF by O&O, Inc

Lol yes. I was active on here a bit ago when I first got it but I've been so busy watching things I haven't bee posting in a while.

I do have a slightly weird question that maybe someone can clarify for me ...

Does anyone else notice that certain shows are "noisy" in the background? In other words, a lot of little movement. I think I notice this the most from old content or when I'm watching something through my cable box as opposed to streaming. Most recently, The Old Man on FX has shown this the most. Is this a condition of "upscaling?" Hopefully I'm explaining it properly.
Hi yes, i think you're referring to grain or film grain? . It is very noticeable on my 77A80, I think where there is a lower bit rate broadcast or stream, and especially where the resolution is 1080p (or lower), as you say.

I complained on here I was seeing a frame skip on sports that was getting annoying. I couldnt dial it out with any setting on motion settings or film mode.
Last night I watched a film on the channel 4 app, and it was horrendous, the frame skip was happening all the time, sometimes every few seconds., at most 3oseconds apart.
Any ideas. Frankly, its unacceptable.

No, nothing worked. and on the c4 app a film was unwatchable because of it....

Have you tried an external streaming device with the app installed to see if it's an issue with the built in app?

About the ABL, do you experince problem with this often while wathcing movies, playing games?
Is it very noticable?

About the ABL, do you experince problem with this often while wathcing movies, playing games?
Is it very noticable?

I haven't noticed it at all with films or games. Gamed in HDR on the PS5 for at least 2 hours last night. The game had a static HUD even when you paused it.

@JohnnyMN do you have the brightness set to maximum when playing in HDR? From what I've gathered from reviews and forum posts, it works based on brightness above a certain level, so if you have it set to a lower value, like 50%, it won't do anything.

@JohnnyMN do you have the brightness set to maximum when playing in HDR? From what I've gathered from reviews and forum posts, it works based on brightness above a certain level, so if you have it set to a lower value, like 50%, it won't do anything.

Have you tried with 100%? And is it very obvious then?

Have you tried with 100%? And is it very obvious then?

Brightness in HDR is always set to 100 to get the full dynamic range. So yes. If I'm gaming in SDR I find brightness set at 20 (tops out at 50) to be more than sufficient. I can't speak for others but I've genuinely never noticed the ABL. It's something I did notice on my 2015 LG OLED.

How is the panel lottery among A80J? Vertical banding,uniformity,dead pixel, vignetting....

I haven't had those issues but I think I've been quite lucky. There are a few owners who have. So it would be worth reading back through the thread.

Hi yes, i think you're referring to grain or film grain? . It is very noticeable on my 77A80, I think where there is a lower bit rate broadcast or stream, and especially where the resolution is 1080p (or lower), as you say.
Yes, film grain. That's the term. It is quite noticable. What I'm trying to determine is whether that's ... a problem ... or to be expected? If that makes sense.

Yes, film grain. That's the term. It is quite noticable. What I'm trying to determine is whether that's ... a problem ... or to be expected? If that makes sense.
It's normal and nothing to worry about. It can be from the source material and intentional at times, but when it's excess it'll be a poor quality source and is effectively an up scaling issue, as you initially said.

I assume that when you have a decent ish source such as 4k Netflix then it isn't an issue?

We bought a 77A80J yesterday and I have a few questions

1) Is it possible to turn of the screen and keep the sound on? Got the stereo connected to the tv and just want to listen to music.

2) If I want to connect a 3,5 from the tv to rca input in the stereo, is a setting somewhere in the tv to set is a Line Out and not Headphones? I have no optical input in the stereo(I know that there is optical to rca converters, but I want to try 3,5 first)

3) I have the set the picture mode in Cinema, turned off all Picture Enhancement, but the near black performence isn't good at all, is feels like there is some kind of Black Tint over the picture and making everyting look a bit artificial.
My old Kuro(last generation) had way better Near Black performence and didn't look artifical in the picture, it feels like the A80J use alot of processes which result in less natural feel in the picture.
Also, the picutre feels a bit cold, I have the Advanced 1 setting.
If I set it to Warm it gets more cold.
My old Kuro got warmer and natural colour.
So are there any good calibration settings for the tv?

4) Due cooling effect. is there any minimum cm for a wall mount for the tv?

Last edited:
No 3.
Correct picture settings default should be custom.
Then fiddle as you wish from there. That setting suggestion has come from all top reviews, like HDTV etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom