Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

techdiver

Tbh I’ve had 4 Sony Oleds so far and they have all been great for lack of tint ,something I cannot say for the LG sets I’ve had in the past
Yeah I have a 55 A8 with zero tint but that's an "older" panel.

clayton

I currantly have a samsung RU8000 and I just purchsed an A80J 65" this is my first OLED and to be honest the sony might be going back other than the dark blacks I can't see much if any improvement in picture quality, I'll give it a few more days and see how I get on.

techdiver

Isn't the tinting issue connected to newer oled technology and brighter screens?
From my reading the new panel (wbe or evo as they are called sometimes) all have some pink or magenta tinting when you go to an extreme off axis angle. It's often the way it is suggested to see if you have a new panel on a Sony as we can't check the service menu for the panel type like LG.

Now the tint at extreme off axis is fine for most as you really won't watch TV at such angles but some of us have noticed tint at normal viewing angles. I can see tint sitting straight in front. It's not an issue the majority of times but on certain colours (such as off-white and green like on golf coverage) the tint alters the colours for me. Watching US Open coverage now and the left side of the green is darker than the right side consistently.

I'm flip flopping between being annoyed by it and thinking it's not that big of a deal. Some content will look worse than others obviously.

77" A80J all have the newer panel and it's a lottery for smaller sizes.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
from initial reviews of the A80K it looks like peak brightness is same as A80J

In a nutshell, Sony has dropped the ball this year. All eyes on 85X95/Z9K.

Even the A95K numbers are looking conservative and disappointing.

techdiver

The A80J is the first TV I've owned where I can see a significant noticeable difference between upscaling of 1080i content to 2160p between the Sky Q box and the TV itself.

The TV is so much better. I'm watching Gaelic Football at the moment and switching between 1080i and 2160p output on the Sky box I notice much cleaner picture and less fizzyness when leaving it at 1080i.

The only problem now is I have to manually change the Sky output depending on whether I'm watching UHD or not! 😂

Ains

The A80J is the first TV I've owned where I can see a significant noticeable difference between upscaling of 1080i content to 2160p between the Sky Q box and the TV itself.

The TV is so much better. I'm watching Gaelic Football at the moment and switching between 1080i and 2160p output on the Sky box I notice much cleaner picture and less fizzyness when leaving it at 1080i.

The only problem now is I have to manually change the Sky output depending on whether I'm watching UHD or not! 😂
It's a pain, isn’t it, but the TV is noticeably better at the upscaling. Why Sky can't just allow the box to switch automatically is beyond me. Apparently they say people would get confused or annoyed by the black screen it would produce for a second or two.

Failing that, a quicker way to switch would be a decent compromise.

techdiver

It's a pain, isn’t it, but the TV is noticeably better at the upscaling. Why Sky can't just allow the box to switch automatically is beyond me. Apparently they say people would get confused or annoyed by the black screen it would produce for a second or two.

Failing that, a quicker way to switch would be a decent compromise.

Yeah that excuse is a cop out. You can have auto refresh rate switching as a configurable setting. That gets rid of the "confusion".

Daverottie

Hi folks, I'm looking at the a80k and wanted to know from those of you who own a80j or a84j........what is the difference between the 80 and 84 models?

GeorgeL78

Hi folks, I'm looking at the a80k and wanted to know from those of you who own a80j or a84j........what is the difference between the 80 and 84 models?
On the 84 there's a built in mic for voice control on the TV itself as well as on the remote. There is also something called rich colour enhancement but I don't think anyone has done a back to back comparison to see if this makes any significant difference. I have the A84J and love it but I didn't specifically go out to pick it over the A80J, it was a bargain via Sony Refurbished!

Daverottie

On the 84 there's a built in mic for voice control on the TV itself as well as on the remote. There is also something called rich colour enhancement but I don't think anyone has done a back to back comparison to see if this makes any significant difference. I have the A84J and love it but I didn't specifically go out to pick it over the A80J, it was a bargain via Sony Refurbished!

Thanks for the reply, that's really helpful. If that's the only real difference then I'll see what the best deals are, curry's currently have 100 trade in on the a84k.

Thanks again 😁

onmeheadson

From my reading the new panel (wbe or evo as they are called sometimes) all have some pink or magenta tinting when you go to an extreme off axis angle. It's often the way it is suggested to see if you have a new panel on a Sony as we can't check the service menu for the panel type like LG.

Now the tint at extreme off axis is fine for most as you really won't watch TV at such angles but some of us have noticed tint at normal viewing angles. I can see tint sitting straight in front. It's not an issue the majority of times but on certain colours (such as off-white and green like on golf coverage) the tint alters the colours for me. Watching US Open coverage now and the left side of the green is darker than the right side consistently.

I'm flip flopping between being annoyed by it and thinking it's not that big of a deal. Some content will look worse than others obviously.

77" A80J all have the newer panel and it's a lottery for smaller sizes.
This is EXACTLY the same as my 65".

Left hand side, pinkish tint on greens, off whites and beige colours. Dune was a difficult watch. It's noticeable when watching football too.

Same as you it annoys me sometimes.

CoolDust

I'm having some weird issues with VRR mode that have only cropped up a few days ago, everytime I turn on my PS5 and A80J the picture mode is locked to cinema which shouldn't even be possible since it's meant to be locked to game mode in VRR!

It's still grayed out so I can't change the picture mode back to game and the only way I can fix it is by changing the HDMI signal enhancement from VRR to enhanced then back to VRR and then it will go to game mode.

Anyone else experiencing this recently? Getting annoying having to do this everytime I switch on the console!

I'm having some weird issues with VRR mode that have only cropped up a few days ago, everytime I turn on my PS5 and A80J the picture mode is locked to cinema which shouldn't even be possible since it's meant to be locked to game mode in VRR!

It's still grayed out so I can't change the picture mode back to game and the only way I can fix it is by changing the HDMI signal enhancement from VRR to enhanced then back to VRR and then it will go to game mode.

Anyone else experiencing this recently? Getting annoying having to do this everytime I switch on the console!
Try resetting the tv. Long press on power and click yes. That sorts out just about everything for me.

Ains

I see a fair bit of Glastonbury is going to be on a BBC iPlayer UHD live stream this weekend, including all three headliners. Result.

CoolDust

Try resetting the tv. Long press on power and click yes. That sorts out just about everything for me.
Yeah I've tried this but no luck.☹️

I've actually got another problem where sometimes when I try to power on the TV from standby I get no picture but I do get sound, even if I hit menu on the TV nothing happens and the only way I can fix it is by switching the TV off at the wall.

Hope my TV isn't on the way out!

markc000

Just realised when VRR is enabled on the input the TV is locked to game mode so unless you like watching shiny new UHD Blu Rays on your console in game mode you need to turn VRR off.

First world problems I guess.

markc000

No don’t have this at all, or the other picture issue you have mentioned.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Yes I did.. remember a few chats back I asked!? It was after the latest update..😩 I’ve got it back now..
Mines been fine , until today !! oh well maybe it will return at some point , also another thing I didn't notice before loosing it ,the LIGHT SENSOR setting now has 2 additional settings Auto Luminence level and Auto tone curve, I,m certain they were never there before?

Ginzy

Novice Member
Just a quick question, ive had my A80J a couple months now and was curious if this is acceptable or am i being fussy.
This is my screen at 1% greyscale, doesnt seem good to me and the right edge is noticably lighter during normal viewing in dark scenes.

Would everybody accept this or exchange it?

Thankyou.

Attachments

• DSC_0354.JPG
    DSC_0354.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 85

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

ASUS unveils new 4K OLED gaming monitors
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published