Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

There must be either a different whitepoint used on your set or massive panel differences ,as using those settings my set is way too blue .

Yes. Mostly down to panel variance. I am still in 2 minds about calibration as I might sell this and try something else lol.

Yes. Mostly down to panel variance. I am still in 2 minds about calibration as I might sell this and try something else lol.
I,m the opposite , I,ve just had my refund on The Insiders 77"G2 half price campaign , as I just don't want to part with the A80J , Like it that much and does everything I need .
What are you tempted by ?

I was just going to say you should get it calibrated 😂. Aye if you're thinking of getting something else it's maybe not worth it. I imagine there will be 77 QD-OLEDs coming next year. Might be worth holding out until then.

This is my third TV in 6 years so I'm going to do my best to keep this one for at least 5 before I consider upgrading again 👀. It's a sickness 😂.

I assume the A84J is essentially the same as the A80J?

Currys only have the 77A84J in stock here.

I was just going to say you should get it calibrated 😂. Aye if you're thinking of getting something else it's maybe not worth it. I imagine there will be 77 QD-OLEDs coming next year. Might be worth holding out until then.

This is my third TV in 6 years so I'm going to do my best to keep this one for at least 5 before I consider upgrading again 👀. It's a sickness 😂.

I am keeping a tab on these:

1. 77LZ2000
2. 83A90J
3. 83G2
4. 85X95K
5. 75/85 Z9J / K

I doubt if I will buy these but when 77 QD-OLED is out I will be all over it lol if I have enough bank account balance. :)

I assume the A84J is essentially the same as the A80J?

Currys only have the 77A84J in stock here.
To do honest the 77-84j is just that little bit better.

To do honest the 77-84j is just that little bit better.
I just bought the A80J. :rotfl: The only difference I could find was the addition of a Rich Color Enhancer on the A84J. So I'm sure it's not going to be a gave changer. From what I can see the 84 is one of those Currys exclusives.

I just bought the A80J. :rotfl: The only difference I could find was the addition of a Rich Color Enhancer on the A84J. So I'm sure it's not going to be a gave changer. From what I can see the 84 is one of those Currys exclusives.
You can also switch off Google if you want 😉 but that is about it. So not that much difference..
It's also sony exclusive

I wouldn't worry about the differences .

Send it back! It looks practically black and white without that colour enhancer 😭

Send it back! It looks practically black and white without that colour enhancer 😭
It does. Only joking. I have tried it and it is fine. But I always switch it off

It does. Only joking. I have tried it and it is fine. But I always switch it off

I'm more concerned that Google has been listening this whole time 👀.

Sony A80J owner
Netflix app Dolby Atmos / Dolby Vision
I only receive Dolby + 3/2 to my stereo on Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 even though it shows Atmos on The title.
Other titles seem fine passing Atmos.

Noticed last night that the audio from Spotify app sounds quite compressed/ lacking bass compared to Sky Spotify App (much better) or directly via my Anthem MRX740 (better still). Wondering if any setting on the TV I'm missing somewhere?

OK, the TV app is sending Dolby Digital+, whereas Anthem direct and Sky App both sending PCM

While looking through the menu screen in order to change the sound settings, I noticed that the picture setting had changed from custom to vivid / calibrated. I didn't change it and it appears to have changed on the Sky Q and BBC iplayer app. All other apps and inputs seem unaffected.

I haven't changed it back to custom yet because, although the picture mode setting is vivid / calibrated, it doesn't seem as overly contrasted and bright as you would expect with vivid mode. In fact, if I hadn't been looking at the menus, I would have thought the picture mode was still custom.

Has anybody else had this issue, and could the latest firmware update have caused this?

Is anyone using a Sonos Arc and putting it underneath a 65" Sony A80J in the "soundbar position" legs? Does it block the screen?

Is anyone using a Sonos Arc and putting it underneath a 65" Sony A80J in the "soundbar position" legs? Does it block the screen?
I have Sony HST 5000 which is 80mm resting on the feets of A80J. So I guess ARC 87mm will work in front of the feet. That of course depends on the angle you are watching your tv. My A80J is on a 46cm TV stand.

What's the depth of your AV unit? If it's more than 43 inches, you can move the TV with stand in soundbar position further behind. This way you can place a larger soundbar in front without any issues. You can't do this with A90J unless your TV unit is super wide

I would live without a calibration for a while as these sets are pretty much spot on. A Cali will probably cost £250/300 and a mate had one done on his 83" A90J and canary jules hardly had to touch it it was already very close out the box.

By all means get it done but leave it a while and let it settle a bit. I am knocked out what mine looks like when fed a 4k bluray the image is incredible.😍

You could try these settings below courtesy of Jens on here although that was for the A90J 83" use the custom setting option rather than disturb the presets.

Picture Mode: Custom
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0 for Day Time, -2 for Night Time
Black Level: 50
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Peak Luminance: High
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual, 20
Smooth Gradation: Low (off when you game)
Motionflow: Custom, Smoothness Min, Clearness 0 or 1 (latter is black frame insertion - experiment)
Cinemotion: Low for Broadcast and UHD Bluray, High for Netflix/Amazon Prime
Advanced Color Temperature Basic (this is important!)
  • R-Gain = -3
  • G-Gain = Max
  • B-Gain = -6

Feed the same HDMI an HDR signal of some sort and then ensure Gradation Preferred is selected.

Try that. The latter colour changes are applicable to SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision.

There may be other settings in the A80J thread that may be more applicable though.

Got to hand it to Sony Centre Carlisle though they certainly bust a gut to get your set to you today in double quick time. Nice bunch they are could not be more helpful when I got my set too.😁
Out of interest, what colour temperature do you use on them settings. Warm or expert1? I’ve got my Dolby settings sorted .. just cant settle on setting for normal blueray disc Picture settings?🤷‍♂️

I am just using standard atm but did change the Gain as per the above settings.

Out of interest, what colour temperature do you use on them settings. Warm or expert1? I’ve got my Dolby settings sorted .. just cant settle on setting for normal blueray disc Picture settings?🤷‍♂️

For DV / HDR, I use Warm with Classy's settings for RGB gain. Expert 1 and above mutes highlights and anything below Warm looks too cool / blueish to my eyes.

For SDR, Expert 1. The TV can comfortably do 150-160 nits which is more than enough for SDR viewing.

Is anyone else having problems with the disney+ app. Every single time I have to disable it and then enable just to get it to work. I cant get past the password screen otherwise. Error code 83

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom