Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Job Done😍

Toying with going for the A80J 65, particularly given the A90J is so much more expensive - although both are on 18 months 0% from JL. Is there really over £1k difference in quality in these two sets?

The new 77A80J arrived a couple of hours ago at lunch today. So impressed with Sony Centre Carlisle pulling out all the stops to replace my set within 4hrs of talking to them! I'm just messing (I mean working) around with it... This TV is amazing! Running it on Custom with hardly any tweaks at the moment, but thinking of getting a professional calibration done soon.

This TV upgrade and moving stuff around has made me experience for the first time my system without the centre channel. I must say my Anthem is doing a grand job operating in phantom across sports, film, news etc. So much so, that I'm contemplating running without the centre for a while and benefit a less compromised TV height on the wall. Extra wife points to boot (she hates the centre).

I would live without a calibration for a while as these sets are pretty much spot on. A Cali will probably cost £250/300 and a mate had one done on his 83" A90J and canary jules hardly had to touch it it was already very close out the box.

By all means get it done but leave it a while and let it settle a bit. I am knocked out what mine looks like when fed a 4k bluray the image is incredible.😍

You could try these settings below courtesy of Jens on here although that was for the A90J 83" use the custom setting option rather than disturb the presets.

Picture Mode: Custom
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0 for Day Time, -2 for Night Time
Black Level: 50
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Peak Luminance: High
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual, 20
Smooth Gradation: Low (off when you game)
Motionflow: Custom, Smoothness Min, Clearness 0 or 1 (latter is black frame insertion - experiment)
Cinemotion: Low for Broadcast and UHD Bluray, High for Netflix/Amazon Prime
Advanced Color Temperature Basic (this is important!)
  • R-Gain = -3
  • G-Gain = Max
  • B-Gain = -6

Feed the same HDMI an HDR signal of some sort and then ensure Gradation Preferred is selected.

Try that. The latter colour changes are applicable to SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision.

There may be other settings in the A80J thread that may be more applicable though.

Got to hand it to Sony Centre Carlisle though they certainly bust a gut to get your set to you today in double quick time. Nice bunch they are could not be more helpful when I got my set too.😁

Thank you for that, I'll give them a whirl and see what they look like 👍

The new 77A80J arrived a couple of hours ago at lunch today. So impressed with Sony Centre Carlisle pulling out all the stops to replace my set within 4hrs of talking to them! I'm just messing (I mean working) around with it... This TV is amazing! Running it on Custom with hardly any tweaks at the moment, but thinking of getting a professional calibration done soon.

This TV upgrade and moving stuff around has made me experience for the first time my system without the centre channel. I must say my Anthem is doing a grand job operating in phantom across sports, film, news etc. So much so, that I'm contemplating running without the centre for a while and benefit a less compromised TV height on the wall. Extra wife points to boot (she hates the centre).

I had my A80J calibrated and I went between the normal OOTB custom picture mode and the calibrated custom 1&2 picture modes and there is a difference. The whites are more blue OOTB and the calibration pushes the HDR highlights to their peak. The A90J is the master series so naturally it would be more accurate but with the A80J there is a visible difference. Something to consider when your TV is at the 100/200 hour mark. It was worth it for me.

Good to know, thanks. There is a good chance I will get it calibrated, just for that peace of mind. Until then, will just enjoy.

I must say, so glad I changed my wall mount to a cantilever. In effect, I've bought a 77 and an 83 inch, when I bring it forward 2ft . It was also quite satisfying fitting the M8 rigifix to keep it bolted to the wall 🙂

Last edited:
Flicking through various settings, I just realised I have an A84J, not an A80J. It's largely a wash, apart from the mic feature and rich colour enhancer feature, I think?

Brief use of the Google mic feature, it seems that when all my system is off, the wake will activate TV speakers to illicit a response to you. This audio output setting remains when powering on the Amp later, so I may need to look at tweaking my harmony routine to also set to Audio System, if possible.

A80J is not colour accurate out of the box as it pushes blue a bit too much.
Expert 1 is more Warner and has that cinematic look but it definitely suppresses specular highlights. I use Classy's settings which addresses these issues but I am sure pro calibration would further elevate the viewing experience

Watched Classy just now and was reassuring he mentioned brightness 30 and Warm temp, which is what I'd in fact settled on last night. I've applied the larger colour tweaks he suggests and will see how I get on with that. Skin tones of Channel Four newsreaders look bang on, which is my go to test. Thanks 👍

A80J is not colour accurate out of the box as it pushes blue a bit too much.
Expert 1 is more Warner and has that cinematic look but it definitely suppresses specular highlights. I use Classy's settings which addresses these issues but I am sure pro calibration would further elevate the viewing experience
For me Warm pushes too much blue ,expert 1 looks far better

I guess that's why the classy settings use -15 on the blue gain in conjunction with warm. Expert 1 OOTB, skin tones are a little too yellow for my liking. I found that on my previous 2 Sony's too. I'll no doubt switch several times before I decide to get it calibrated.

Last edited:
The problem with that is Sony Changed the white point on later build 77”A80J. ,and pretty sure he based that on early builds
You talking about hardware or firmware? I'm on the latest firmware and still looks fine.

Roland Garros (Eurosport 4K) is looking superb on this TV! 😀

The problem with that is Sony Changed the white point on later build 77”A80J. ,and pretty sure he based that on early builds

Mine is Jan 2022 build. OOTB pushes Blue and Expert 1 (HDR) adds green tinge and suppresses highlights. So in my case Classy's settings works fine.

I do use Expert 1 for SDR though.

Dolby Vision is definitely broken on the Sony. You have to select between Dark and Bright and stick to the one that looks bright. This has been widely discussed in other forums.

I checked Warm and Expert 1 many times and Expert 1 is definitely muting dynamic range. It was very noticeable in Captain America Civil War. YMMV

Dolby Vision is definitely broken on the Sony. You have to select between Dark and Bright and stick to the one that looks bright. This has been widely discussed in other forums.

I checked Warm and Expert 1 many times and Expert 1 is definitely muting dynamic range. It was very noticeable in Captain America Civil War. YMMV

Have you tried Expert 2? That's the one the calibrator used on mine. I like Dolby Vision bright even though Dark is more accurate. The calibrated settings transferred over from Dark so it looks identical except it's brighter.

Have you tried Expert 2? That's the one the calibrator used on mine. I like Dolby Vision bright even though Dark is more accurate. The calibrated settings transferred over from Dark so it looks identical except it's brighter.

I did try and no effect.

Most of the times DV Bright is brighter but with some contents DV Dark looks brighter than Bright. This itself is a red flag. It's so easy to reproduce.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom