Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I presume these dropouts are on apps built into the tv and not if you use the apps on a firestick or similar.

Just took delivery of a new 83" A90J which I shall be installing on Friday and hope that tv does not have these issues. :(

I presume these dropouts are on apps built into the tv and not if you use the apps on a firestick or similar.

Just took delivery of a new 83" A90J which I shall be installing on Friday and hope that tv does not have these issues. :(

I haven't had any dropouts thus far. Fingers crossed that doesn't start happening. I was using Ethernet when I first got the TV but switched to WIFI for Sony Bravia Core.

I haven't had any dropouts thus far. Fingers crossed that doesn't start happening. I was using Ethernet when I first got the TV but switched to WIFI for Sony Bravia Core.
Used to get dropouts on Wi-Fi, used the usb to Ethernet to get Ethernet stability with Wi-Fi speed

Used to get dropouts on Wi-Fi, used the usb to Ethernet to get Ethernet stability with Wi-Fi speed

What adapter did you buy? I had one but the damn thing stopped working after a week.

I am experiencing 1-2 dropouts in an hour.
I don't have it to that degree.
As I've mentioned on here before, it tends to occur shortly after I put the TV on (but intermittent) and the odd occasion any other time. I can watch films on local apps with no issue whatsoever, but then see it occur on another day whilst watching something. Although I haven't had it drop out multiple times whilst watching something, it generally drops out and then reconnects, with no further dropouts that same day.

I had loads of wifi issues on my xf9005 to the point i ran a cable to the TV.

Luck being not on my side, the cable was short to reach the A80J by about 2 inches so i bough the adapter after a couple wifi drops and never looked back.

Newb here. Couple of questions:
  1. Does the A80J support FreeSync after the VRR update? From my understanding the techs are similar but can't confirm. Anyone with a Radeon GPU try it out?
  2. Is 1440p @120Hz supported? I read that it needs to be forced with a PC...so am assuming yes it is supported.
Thanks.

I'm Trying to play some Retro Video games hooked up through a scaling device.
How the hell do you set the TV to stop processing it it like a normal Picture and adding 150ms+ of lag that make games unplayable.
The Scaler on a CRT VGA monitor is adding 1-4ms of lag, another LCD TV I have is playable. but the Sony A80J OLED no matter settings in GAME MODE , Motion flow off, Reality Creation off, has nearly 180ms of processing lag that just can't be defeated.
It's absolutely fine with the PS5

I'm very late to the A80J party, but I've just bought a grade A refurb 77 model from Sony Centre for £1999 and bought the 5yr guarantee for £100. Fingers crossed it's a goodun.

Really can't wait! I'm still reading through this thread, but enjoying it so far 👍

I was having an issue with TV audio/ app audio going back to my receiver. I'd have to switch eARC off and back to auto to get it to work. It was a minor inconvenience but still annoying! Seems this week's update has resolved it - was happy before, even happier with it now!

I'm very late to the A80J party, but I've just bought a grade A refurb 77 model from Sony Centre for £1999 and bought the 5yr guarantee for £100. Fingers crossed it's a goodun.

Really can't wait! I'm still reading through this thread, but enjoying it so far 👍
Just installed my 83" A90J that I got from the Sony centre as a refurb for £3499 inc the 5 year warranty and it looks like new out of the box and has a stunning picture.

I will post some pics later.

Your 77" A80J is a cracking bargain you, might have got a used one for similar money but yours comes with your own warranty from new.😍

I'm also very happy with my refurb 65". My first one was damaged due to poor packaging (they placed the legs against the screen..) but was quickly refunded and the second one I bought was packaged well and has been perfect, indistinguishable from a new one.

Hope yours is also perfect :)

Just installed my 83" A90J that I got from the Sony centre as a refurb for £3499 inc the 5 year warranty and it looks like new out of the box and has a stunning picture.

Your 77" A80J is a cracking bargain you, might have got a used one for similar money but yours comes with your own warranty from new.😍

Away you go with your bargain pristine 83A90J
Angry Hold Me Back GIF by Shalita Grant

Amazing deal for your 83A90J! I'll keep an eye out on the A90J thread for photos 👍

I was after either after a 77 or 83 refurb, so pretty happy if it turns out good.

I'm also very happy with my refurb 65". My first one was damaged due to poor packaging (they placed the legs against the screen..) but was quickly refunded and the second one I bought was packaged well and has been perfect, indistinguishable from a new one.

Hope yours is also perfect :)
Reassuring to know they sorted out your issue quickly and that the refurb quality is spot on. Thanks, here's hoping, should find out in several days from now.

Last edited:
OLD tv NEW tv 65" v 83"

The tv is a Monster and I love it, can't see any issues although it has only had an quick hour looking at some Neflix/Prime and a bit of terrestrial daytime tv.

The tv although a refurb was as good as new except 1 major issue that I am going to have to complain about, there was no remote control batteries in the box😁

Attachments

• Panny tv on stand.png
    Panny tv on stand.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
  • a90j pic 1.jpg
    a90j pic 1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 108
Bye the way just looking to see if any Sony OLED owners have a thin protective removable film over it or not. I think most screens tend to have this my Panny 65" OLED had one and when Phil Hinton does his tv reviews/unboxing there is usually a peel off film on the screen. I have looked and think there may be one although they usually have a bit of extra where you can start to peel it off and can't see anything obvious.

Bye the way just looking to see if any Sony OLED owners have a thin protective removable film over it or not. I think most screens tend to have this my Panny 65" OLED had one and when Phil Hinton does his tv reviews/unboxing there is usually a peel off film on the screen. I have looked and think there may be one although they usually have a bit of extra where you can start to peel it off and can't see anything obvious.

I don't think mine did. Just a small one on the bezel at the bottom.

Thanks Johnny
I just did a google search and it appears that Sony don't put a film on. The screen looked clean till I shone a bright light on it then it looked like fingerprint city😮No worries though, the wife just gave it a wipe with one of those micropore cloths and all the fingerprints etc have vanished and the screen is now clean.

So, I finally got round to doing a factory reset to sort out the storage issues on the A80J 77", which were preventing me from freeing up space on internal storage even if I deleted apps/cache/memory. It somehow got stuck saying the available space was full and I couldn't even update the Apps I did have. I also couldn't move stuff to the Pen Drive I bought for extended storage. Anyway, bit the bullet and spent 2hrs doing a fresh install and all is now good. All apps are directly installed onto the extended storage pen, after changing the Dev settings to allow for this and I can update Apps again! 😄

All good, except now I've noticed the last few times I've turned the TV on it's done a full restart (or has fully shut down when I last turned it off at least) when I wanted it on standby.
In addition to this, when it does a full reset, all of the Apps which I've moved into the quick-launch bar get reset, so I have to go to the Apps screen to open them. Think this is only for the apps on the external drive. They are fine when the TV just goes to standby.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

So, I finally got round to doing a factory reset to sort out the storage issues on the A80J 77", which were preventing me from freeing up space on internal storage even if I deleted apps/cache/memory. It somehow got stuck saying the available space was full and I couldn't even update the Apps I did have. I also couldn't move stuff to the Pen Drive I bought for extended storage. Anyway, bit the bullet and spent 2hrs doing a fresh install and all is now good. All apps are directly installed onto the extended storage pen, after changing the Dev settings to allow for this and I can update Apps again! 😄

All good, except now I've noticed the last few times I've turned the TV on it's done a full restart (or has fully shut down when I last turned it off at least) when I wanted it on standby.
In addition to this, when it does a full reset, all of the Apps which I've moved into the quick-launch bar get reset, so I have to go to the Apps screen to open them. Think this is only for the apps on the external drive. They are fine when the TV just goes to standby.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?
I would suggest thats because the extended storage has slower access speeds than the internal storage. It will only be USB 2.0 I'd imagine. When the tv boots and os restarts, it doesn't read the apps quick enough to be displayed on the quick-launch.

Is there a reason you're using this as a first choice rather than internal?

I would suggest thats because the extended storage has slower access speeds than the internal storage. It will only be USB 2.0 I'd imagine. When the tv boots and os restarts, it doesn't read the apps quick enough to be displayed on the quick-launch.

Is there a reason you're using this as a first choice rather than internal?
Pure space issues. I've left Netflix, Disney, Amazon and iPlayer on internal. Anything much more just uses up the space. Plex etc..has to be on external due to large cache requirements.

Still not sure why it's rebooting at all though.

As I’ve always said Sony Oleds do improve with time , heres my 77”A8J 5% taken @around 500 hours , and a 4% taken tonight @ around 1400hrs on the set
C1D53728-3DB4-440B-B560-BBFF4A4E3FC7.jpeg
30C4900F-DD99-4A7A-8B4F-818F7FF5D370.jpeg
C1D53728-3DB4-440B-B560-BBFF4A4E3FC7.jpeg

My brand new 2 week old 77a80j kept disconnecting its ethernet connection almost daily and I would always have to restart the TV or pull out the ethernet cable which IS super annoying. It seems a lot of other people are having similar network connectivity issues with this TV....

Someone suggested to statically map the IP outside of DHCP scope range which I have tried, hasn't dropped out in a few days so crossing fingers, hopefully a future firmware will fix this issue. Also using a cable matters USB to ethernet adaptor.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom