Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Experienced a weird issue yesterday. Lost Wi-Fi. Thought it was my router. Restarted it. Unplugged TV mains power. Put it back after 10 minutes. It connected to Wi-Fi but speed test app was showing 0. Everything froze. Gave up after 30 minutes. I was able to get Wi-Fi at advertised speed on other devices including my ZD9.

Now its fine. For a moment, thought the Wi-Fi adapter on the TV is blown.
Mine keeps losing Wi-Fi for some reason. Not for very long, but I get the on screen warning come up every now and then....

After seeing how good Doctor Strange 2 and the Avatar 2 preview looked in 3D at the IMAX on Friday, I was sat thinking how good 3D would be on my 77A80J :(. My 55 inch LG 2015 OLED looks like a tablet in comparison 😂.

Just a question from my side. I have connected my Denon AV Receiver to the 77A84J. Since a few days it constantly lose the connection (HDMI) with the receiver and goes automatically to the Internal speaker. It never had an issue like that in the past. Maybe someone can help me. A complet restart helps but not always. Thanks in advance
which denon avr u got?

Mine keeps losing Wi-Fi for some reason. Not for very long, but I get the on screen warning come up every now and then....
Same here, makes you wonder why it's so unstable!?
I've tried both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, no difference.

Is this issue a recent problem as I am considering one of these sets and use Netflix/Prime and other built in apps for quite a bit of my viewing and if the wi-fi is dropping on a regular basis that would be an issue for me.

My existing Panny 65" OLED has been rock solid with wi-fi, has this problem developed since a recent firmware update or been there for much longer.

Was watching Avatar in HDR on my A80J last night. Looked absolutely amazing 😭. Took some videos but they don't really do it justice.

The last one is the night time scene. Looked beautiful. This TV still blows me away after 6 months.

Is this issue a recent problem as I am considering one of these sets and use Netflix/Prime and other built in apps for quite a bit of my viewing and if the wi-fi is dropping on a regular basis that would be an issue for me.

My existing Panny 65" OLED has been rock solid with wi-fi, has this problem developed since a recent firmware update or been there for much longer.
I think this is an ongoing problem. I've had it a while, but it doesn't bother me. I'd recommend using an external device anyway in order to get better audio output for Atmos and better long term app support. A fire stick or something else doesn't cost that much in the scheme of things.

Was watching Avatar in HDR on my A80J last night. Looked absolutely amazing 😭. Took some videos but they don't really do it justice.

The last one is the night time scene. Looked beautiful. This TV still blows me away after 6 months.

Surprising. My son and I tried to watch Avatar the other week and we thought the CGI was terrible by today's standards.

I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet, whereas most probably have, but I guess are still seeing this occur.
It is very sporadic though, I can watch Netflix, Prime and Sony Bravia Core without any issue whatsoever, but just on the odd occasion it suddenly decides to drop connection and then reconnect shortly after (enough to interrupt what you're watching).
A lot of the time it seems to occur shortly after I have put the TV on, but whether that's a coincidence I don't know.

Is everyone happy with their a80
Just weighing up buying one of these or taking a hit on quality and going for a 75x95j
thoughts..

Surprising. My son and I tried to watch Avatar the other week and we thought the CGI was terrible by today's standards.

I mean the CGI has obviously aged but I saw worse in the first episode of Moon Knight the other week. Looked godawful during that car chase. You can see the improvements since Avatar 1 in the trailer for the new one. I'm sure I read that James Cameron wants to tweak the effects in the first one for a re-release. They're probably doing that before they release the official 4K version.

Is everyone happy with their a80
Just weighing up buying one of these or taking a hit on quality and going for a 75x95j
thoughts..

I would definitely go with the A80J. I have a flagship Sony LED and there's just no competing with the contrast, black levels and lack of blooming that comes with OLED. It's bright too. I thought the difference from my ZF9 would be drastic but most content is only graded to a 1000 nits so you don't notice it. Only really with those crazy bright demos on YouTube.

I think this is an ongoing problem. I've had it a while, but it doesn't bother me. I'd recommend using an external device anyway in order to get better audio output for Atmos and better long term app support. A fire stick or something else doesn't cost that much in the scheme of things.
I do have an Amazon firestick 4k bought last year which I can use for those apps if necessary except 1 and that is the BBC I-player app. older pre 2018 4k sticks can play i-player UHD content but post 18 models won't do 4k only the new Firestick 4k Max can do that. For that reason I need the tv to do 4k i-player material.

Potential buyer of the 77A80J here. One thing holding me back is the reports of uniformity specifically the dreaded grid/ venetian blind/ brush stroke that appeared on 2020 OLED's.

I went through two CX's that were awful with this. I've read mixed reports between this site and over on avsforum about 2021 models.

My thinking at the moment is either to jump on the A80J or wait again (which is what I did since January 2021) to see reports of this dissappear.

I swear I would pay €1,000 more to be guaranteed a clean panel. I currently have a Sony 55" A8 that is the best panel I've ever had but I don't trust QC as the panel sizes increase.

I would definitely go with the A80J. I have a flagship Sony LED and there's just no competing with the contrast, black levels and lack of blooming that comes with OLED. It's bright too. I thought the difference from my ZF9 would be drastic but most content is only graded to a 1000 nits so you don't notice it. Only really with those crazy bright demos on YouTube.
So you think not worth getting 75" lcd instead of the 65" oled is worth it.
is there anything you think the zf9 does better

So you think not worth getting 75" lcd instead of the 65" oled is worth it.
is there anything you think the zf9 does better

I didn't realise you meant a 65" OLED vs 75" LCD. I'd be on the fence with that too. Bigger Vs Better Picture Quality. Having a big TV is very immersive. It's just whether you can live with the shortcomings of LCD which would be more noticeable at that size. Also your environment when watching it. I watch in a dark room. The best thing to do is find a shop like Richersounds or somewhere you can compare both and see what you prefer.

Tbh the only thing is when I'm gaming. On my ZF9 I didn't need to worry about HUDs etc. Burn in is rare but I still worry about it. I just make sure I'm sensible with it. Other than that, the ZF9 is a 2018 model so my A80J has the new XR processor and it has noticeably better upscaling (I now prefer it to my Shield Pro) and better motion. Even blu-rays I bought in 2007 look absolutely phenomenal on it. Also has the HDMI 2.1 gaming features. VRR on an LCD tends to turn the local dimming off. If it was me I would choose the OLED. I like looking at the picture and nothing bothers me. My ZF9 is a great TV and underrated imo but the OLED picture just stops you in your tracks with those blacks and that contrast. Dark films like the Nolan Batman films or Alien look so much better on the A80J. Every time I go to the cinema I'm sat thinking this will look so much better on my OLED.

Moving into a new home at the end of May. I've been torn left and right about going with the LG C1 or A80J for the last month or so. Seriously - hours and hours of research, it was driving me crazy. I finally put a rest to this dilemma and pulled the trigger on Costco for a 65"! It is an amazing deal with 5 years warranty (sadly no burn-in coverage but I'm not too worried about that) for $1599. I have a PS5 and a Switch so the upscaling for the Switch on A80J vs C1 is what pushed me over the edge, adding to the fact that I watch more movies and shows than I do gaming sealed the deal.

I thought I wouldn't like the semi-gloss of the Sony as glass seemed more "premium" to me, but after comparing both TVs, I kinda like the diffused reflections vs the shiny more direct reflections.

Anyways, this is a pointless post but I just mainly wanted to share my excitement! This will be my first OLED, going from a 49" Samsung LED from 2017.

If anyone would be kind enough to send me tips/advice/picture settings my way, I would appreciate that a lot! (either way, I plan on going through this thread and doing a lot of searching haha).

I'd suggest starting here and then tweaking to your own preferences

I didn't realise you meant a 65" OLED vs 75" LCD. I'd be on the fence with that too. Bigger Vs Better Picture Quality. Having a big TV is very immersive. It's just whether you can live with the shortcomings of LCD which would be more noticeable at that size. Also your environment when watching it. I watch in a dark room. The best thing to do is find a shop like Richersounds or somewhere you can compare both and see what you prefer.

Tbh the only thing is when I'm gaming. On my ZF9 I didn't need to worry about HUDs etc. Burn in is rare but I still worry about it. I just make sure I'm sensible with it. Other than that, the ZF9 is a 2018 model so my A80J has the new XR processor and it has noticeably better upscaling (I now prefer it to my Shield Pro) and better motion. Even blu-rays I bought in 2007 look absolutely phenomenal on it. Also has the HDMI 2.1 gaming features. VRR on an LCD tends to turn the local dimming off. If it was me I would choose the OLED. I like looking at the picture and nothing bothers me. My ZF9 is a great TV and underrated imo but the OLED picture just stops you in your tracks with those blacks and that contrast. Dark films like the Nolan Batman films or Alien look so much better on the A80J. Every time I go to the cinema I'm sat thinking this will look so much better on my OLED.
thanks
best movie to take into to compare the 2
or is there a nice pre made set i can just download..

thanks
best movie to take into to compare the 2
or is there a nice pre made set i can just download..

They will probably be connected to the WIFI. You could go on YouTube and compare demos, trailers and film clips etc. Plenty of channels have clips of films in HDR too.

Great film, just out of interest what motion settings was you using it looks brilliant..🤔

Great film, just out of interest what motion settings was you using it looks brilliant..🤔
Smoothness set to 1 and clearness set to Min 😁

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom