Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

That's weird, on all the OLED's I've had, it will run instantly after placing it in standby, if 4hrs cumulative viewing time between the last refresh has accrued. The refresh itself should take no longer than 10mins.

So, place in standby after 4hrs, wait 10mins and it should have done a refresh. The longer ones that take an hour are either triggered every 1,000 or 2,000 hrs depending on brand of OLED. They should only be run manually if there is signs of lasting image retention or burn in. Though some have ran them after the 200hrs bed in time, to see if it changes the uniformity.

Sonys approach have always been different compared to LG and Panasonic. Not sure if you can still do it but i remember on the A1 if i had a usb flash drive connected the lights would go on after four hours and then stop when the comp cycle was done.

On my Panasonic it runs once every 1000 hours.

Guys , don't get confused with a compensation and a refresh, a compensation runs at a set time ie after 4 hours use and runs when put into standby on LG sets , or 4 hours use and after 4 hours in standby on Sony sets.
A panel refresh runs after a set number of hours use , on a Sony I believe its after 2000 hours , and runs for around an hour.

Press the power button on the remote to turn off, but don't turn off at the wall.
I don't turn anything off at the wall I unplug them. So in reality Power Off is in stand by. Since the Power is off how does one know that a Compensation or Panel Refresh is happening?

I believe they get classed as certified replacements ,however mine was 100% new and as you say they do give you the latest model if available ie my AF9 failed and was replaced with an AG9
Similar story to mine. I also had a AF9 which ended up with loads of dead pixels after a years use, straight swap with a AG9, Although i suspect that that screen was not brand new, never checked panel hours though, it had several dead pixels to begin with, I tried to live with it for three months, then it developed two vertical bands down the middle which was easily seen in normal content, straight swap again to a perfect and brand new AG9 with screen cover out of the box, still going strong, with a few dead pixels thought, but that's okay, nearly two years old, im settled with it, near perfect screen uniformity. But Sony never repair OLED screens because of the acoustic surface, like wez says ☝️🙂 cheers everyone

I don't turn anything off at the wall I unplug them.
Well, that would prevent standby, be it the regular 10min refresh or the 1hr periodic one, or whatever anyone else insists its called...😜 😁

I only unplug when I am not at home for more than 2 days.

I know someone whose house was struck by lightening when they were away on a holiday. This damaged all the electrical equipment that were plugged. Thankfully there was no fire and the circuit breaker got engaged.

It is still possible that this could happen when we are out for a short walk but I better be safe than sorry. :)

Well, that would prevent standby, be it the regular 10min refresh or the 1hr periodic one, or whatever anyone else insists its called...😜 😁
The only time I unplug a TV is if I am working on it or moving it.

So since it is in Standby during Power Off how does one know that it is going through a cycle?

The only time I unplug a TV is if I am working on it or moving it.

So since it is in Standby during Power Off how does one know that it is going through a cycle?
Someone else would need to advise for the A80J specifically. But I would expect a notification completion message on the periodic 1hr one. And likely nothing to tell you on the regular 10mins, every 4hr one, but you may hear an audible click when it completes after 10mins. On other OLED's I've checked in the early days of ownership via the service menu count numbers to check that it was doing them as expected.

Last edited:
Apple TV and Movies Anywhere Apps. Facing Video error frequently (like once every 10-15 minutes). I have tried these:

1. Reinstalling the apps
2. Completely unplug the TV
3. Cleared App Cache.

Nothing has fixed the problem so far.

Same apps via ATV 4K box is working fine. Not facing this issue on Prime / D+ / Netflix built-in apps. All my devices are connected to 5GHz network.

When the video error message is displayed, I go back to the movie and hit play, it plays fine.

Apple TV and Movies Anywhere Apps. Facing Video error frequently (like once every 10-15 minutes). I have tried these:

1. Reinstalling the apps
3. Cleared App Cache.

Same apps via ATV 4K box is working fine. Not facing this issue on Prime / D+ / Netflix built-in apps. All my devices are connected to 5GHz network.

When the video error message is displayed, I go back to the movie and hit play, it plays fine.
I’ve never had an issue with the ATV app ,didn’t you have this issue on your first set too ? If so it looks like it’s your network at fault ,not the tv

I found a minor bug on my A80J. I noticed that sometimes the bezel on the left side is thicker. It looks like the video on the screen is about half centimeter off from the left. This is quickly resolved by switching to another app, and switching back again.

Anyone else who has experienced this?

Attachments

• 290D23F8-7331-49FD-AB51-08D8D1ACC49A.jpeg
    290D23F8-7331-49FD-AB51-08D8D1ACC49A.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 59
I found a minor bug on my A80J. I noticed that sometimes the bezel on the left side is thicker. It looks like the video on the screen is about half centimeter off from the left. This is quickly resolved by switching to another app, and switching back again.

Anyone else who has experienced this?
Perhaps this is pixel shifting?

Guys , don't get confused with a compensation and a refresh, a compensation runs at a set time ie after 4 hours use and runs when put into standby on LG sets , or 4 hours use and after 4 hours in standby on Sony sets.
A panel refresh runs after a set number of hours use , on a Sony I believe its after 2000 hours , and runs for around an hour.

1. Reinstalling the apps
3. Cleared App Cache.

1. Reinstalling the apps
3. Cleared App Cache.

So now I'm having second thoughts about sending my TV back. As I mentioned John Lewis has agreed to refund me or exchange my TV. I told them I wanted a refund and it's not getting collected till a week tomorrow. I think my banding has gotten slightly more faint. As I've been isolating since Wednesday, I've had lots of time with the TV. The picture is sublime. It's just the odd time you get the banding which I think is actually improving. So now I'm thinking I should just keep it.

Perhaps this is pixel shifting?
Ohh. Is that how it works? I observed it closely and noticed that it does shift the whole video gradually to the right. It doesn’t go shift back to the left though. A bit distracting seeing uneven bezel size.

Found a video that’s exactly what I’m experiencing

Last edited:
So now I'm having second thoughts about sending my TV back. As I mentioned John Lewis has agreed to refund me or exchange my TV. I told them I wanted a refund and it's not getting collected till a week tomorrow. I think my banding has gotten slightly more faint. As I've been isolating since Wednesday, I've had lots of time with the TV. The picture is sublime. It's just the odd time you get the banding which I think is actually improving. So now I'm thinking I should just keep it.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again ,Sony Oleds take a lot of time to settle ,far more than Lg sets ,I’ve had too many Lg sets to count and 4 Sony sets so I’m talking from experience, pleased yours is looking better 👍

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again ,Sony Oleds take a lot of time to settle ,far more than Lg sets ,I’ve had too many Lg sets to count and 4 Sony sets so I’m talking from experience, pleased yours is looking better 👍
It still has banding don't get me wrong, but looks as though it's fading ever so slightly. I've had the TV on constantly over the past few days. The picture really is a sight to behold.

It still has banding don't get me wrong, but looks as though it's fading ever so slightly. I've had the TV on constantly over the past few days. The picture really is a sight to behold.
Try and play plenty of hdr content , by all accounts this helps the panel bed in faster

Apologies for asking a potentially well covered question- I’ve periodically checked in here.

Is banding less common on the 65” panels?

Thanks
Darren

Try and play plenty of hdr content , by all accounts this helps the panel bed in faste

Apologies for asking a potentially well covered question- I’ve periodically checked in here.

Is banding less common on the 65” panels?

Thanks
Darren
I can't really answer that, but, 77 inch is the biggest oled I've owned. I have a 55 inch LG c7 oled from 2017 which has banding but it's very faint but still there. My Sony 77a80j might be improving ever so slightly with use. I had Sony XH9505 65 inch which suffered no such issues, but that was an led TV. From what Im led to believe, the bigger the screen size you go the more chance of issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom