Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Result for me. The not so good news I'm isolating so had to cancel the engineer for Friday to look at TV. The good news I phoned John Lewis and nicely explained my problem and they honoured me an exchange or refund. Just getting refund and waiting on 2022 TVs to come out. Loved the A80J but don't want to risk another panel potentially with banding again.
Fair play to John Lewis, good to hear some good news regarding their customer service for a change. Do you think you will go for another OLED? Hopefully you still have your XH95 to fall back on for the time being.

That’s interesting to know. Instead of using Curry’s I decided to get my Sony from ‘John Lewis and I’d taken out the extra insurance so I’ll be interested to know how kenny1979 gets on?
Result for me. The not so good news I'm isolating so had to cancel the engineer for Friday to look at TV. The good news I phoned John Lewis and nicely explained my problem and they honoured me an exchange or refund. Just getting refund and waiting on 2022 TVs to come out. Loved the A80J but don't want to risk another panel potentially with banding
Fair play to John Lewis, good to hear some good news regarding their customer service for a change. Do you think you will go for another OLED? Hopefully you still have your XH95 to fall back on for the time being.
Yes I can't fault them for customer service. I sold my 65xh9505 I'm a bit gutted. I am going to be using my LG 55c7 for the time being. I would like another oled but the lottery as they call it stresses me out too much. I will be keeping my eye on the Sony X95K mini led.

Yes I can't fault them for customer service. I sold my 65xh9505 I'm a bit gutted. I am going to be using my LG 55c7 for the time being. I would like another oled but the lottery as they call it stresses me out too much. I will be keeping my eye on the Sony X95K mini led.
That's a shame but at least you still have a very good TV in the C7 I suppose. I'm still rocking my 8yr old bug infested 40" Samsung since returning my XH95 last February 😫.
This Banding issue on OLEDs is the main reason for me not pulling trigger already.

Result for me. The not so good news I'm isolating so had to cancel the engineer for Friday to look at TV. The good news I phoned John Lewis and nicely explained my problem and they honoured me an exchange or refund. Just getting refund and waiting on 2022 TVs to come out. Loved the A80J but don't want to risk another panel potentially with banding

Glad that JL are sorting this out in your favour. I am taking a potentially bold move to keep mine for a while and directly contact Sony if the situation doesn't improve or gets worse.

Btw, many 75/85 X95J owners reporting some sort of grid effect and DSE on theirs. So issues are there with every panel tech. We just need lady luck with winning the panel lottery. Otherwise, patience and perseverance.

That's a shame but at least you still have a very good TV in the C7 I suppose. I'm still rocking my 8yr old bug infested 40" Samsung since returning my XH95 last February 😫.
This Banding issue on OLEDs is the main reason for me not pulling trigger already.
Yes the C7 actually still wows me at times with picture quality. What was wrong with your xh95 may I ask? My 65xh9505 was brilliant. For me that would have been the perfect TV had it not had as much blooming in letterbox bars.

Glad that JL are sorting this out in your favour. I am taking a potentially bold move to keep mine for a while and directly contact Sony if the situation doesn't improve or gets worse.

Btw, many 75/85 X95J owners reporting some sort of grid effect and DSE on theirs. So issues are there with every panel tech. We just need lady luck with winning the panel lottery. Otherwise, patience and perseverance.
I've always been led to believe uniformity bed in period is around 200hrs for OLED, fitting in as many 4hr refresh cycles as possible. After that don't expect much change for the better. And that's certainly been my experience. My C7 got majorly worse after its first 1000hr full pixel refresh... but no such issues on my 2019 panel which has done several of them now. I think its around 4000+ hrs in and still has the same minor/good banding uniformity as its had from day one.

Yep the uniformity reported issues on the X95 were such that I didnt even try one and went straight for Z9J.

Yes the C7 actually still wows me at times with picture quality. What was wrong with your xh95 may I ask? My 65xh9505 was brilliant. For me that would have been the perfect TV had it not had as much blooming in letterbox bars.
You'd find an evo panelled C1 to be a major step up, or at least I did.

How come you made the switch from OLED to LCD originally?
My XH95 had some minor DSE that I was finding distracting, but to be honest looking back I was probably too fussy. I also felt it lacked a bit of contrast (probably due to the wide angle filter), as well as the lingering worry that it would be ruined by thrips come the summer. My already bug infested Samsung had some more join the party during summer so I was kinda glad I did return the XH95 in the end.

My XH95 had some minor DSE that I was finding distracting, but to be honest looking back I was probably too fussy. I also felt it lacked a bit of contrast (probably due to the wide angle filter), as well as the lingering worry that it would be ruined by thrips come the summer. My already bug infested Samsung had some more join the party during summer so I was kinda glad I did return the XH95 in the end.
Lol, I'm kind of frightened to ask, but where are your TV's such that they attract loads of bugs?

The price was good on the 65xh95 at the time, and the high peak brightness lured me in. I still think 4k blu rays like blue planet looked better on the xh95 due to the brightness. I've never had thrips on any of my TVs .

You'd find an evo panelled C1 to be a major step up, or at least I did.
My 77a80j that I'm getting a refund on had the Evo panel. I'm just wondering whether to try a 77inch c1 or get another A80j from a different retailer. Returning one to a retailer is enough lol. It's banding that I'm sensitive to.

My 77a80j that I'm getting a refund on had the Evo panel. I'm just wondering whether to try a 77inch c1 or get another A80j from a different retailer. Returning one to a retailer is enough lol. It's banding that I'm sensitive to.
Who knows with the panel lottery.🤷‍♂️ But last year I went through 3 x 80"+ panels, which all had to go up and back down a flight of stairs... not much fun! Its a shame we cant go and check uniformity in store, before they then ship them...

Who knows with the panel lottery.🤷‍♂️ But last year I went through 3 x 80"+ panels, which all had to go up and back down a flight of stairs... not much fun! Its a shame we cant go and check uniformity in store, before they then ship them...
I once had a lg E7 , out of the box the uniformity was perfect , then it ran its first compensation, and turned into a band ridden piece of crap !!

I feel sorry for you lot having problems. I bought my 77A80J in June did a few screen uniformity tests all good to my eyes and since then it has performed perfectly so good one's are available so if you think yours ain't right get it replaced so you can enjoy a cracking telly

LGC1 83 Costco price: £3,929.09
LGC1 77 Costco price: £2,399.00

I once had a lg E7 , out of the box the uniformity was perfect , then it ran its first compensation, and turned into a band ridden piece of crap !!
2017 LG panels were great weren't they. My first C7 had terrible near black banding and then got burn in after 6 months. The replacement after a year started to have loads of pixels die along the bottom edge, which meant depending on where pixel shift was, you may or may not notice them lol

2017 LG panels were great weren't they. My first C7 had terrible near black banding and then got burn in after 6 months. The replacement after a year started to have loads of pixels die along the bottom edge, which meant depending on where pixel shift was, you may or may not notice them lol
They were shocking ,best I’ve ever had was a 55E6 for uniformity

Can anyone confirm how often and when the compensation cycles run please

My 77” A80J brought from John Lewis is the best tv I’ve had so far❤️ Coming from a 55”C7 both having banding lines but only faint and only barely seen in really harsh viewing scenes.. But I do wonder if there will be a day when all this (Banding & other uniformities ) will be a thing of the past on future tvs?🤔🤞🏻

My 77” A80J brought from John Lewis is the best tv I’ve had so far❤️ Coming from a 55”C7 both having banding lines but only faint and only barely seen in really harsh viewing scenes.. But I do wonder if there will be a day when all this (Banding & other uniformities ) will be a thing of the past on future tvs?🤔🤞🏻
Here's hoping. It shouldn't even be a thing to see vertical lines in content.

Can anyone confirm how often and when the compensation cycles run please

Heard after 4 hours of usage provided you leave the TV on standby but I could be wrong.

I did run it once manually. Took 1 hour. After refresh, it looked the same as before but maybe I ran it too early.

You need to acculamate 4 hours. Then it runs about 4 hours after you turn it off
That's weird, on all the OLED's I've had, it will run instantly after placing it in standby, if 4hrs cumulative viewing time between the last refresh has accrued. The refresh itself should take no longer than 10mins.

So, place in standby after 4hrs, wait 10mins and it should have done a refresh. The longer ones that take an hour are either triggered every 1,000 or 2,000 hrs depending on brand of OLED. They should only be run manually if there is signs of lasting image retention or burn in. Though some have ran them after the 200hrs bed in time, to see if it changes the uniformity.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom