Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

when my X900E was faulty a couple of years ago, not only did Sony replace the TV as new, they replaced it with the X900F which had subsequently been released.

I believe they get classed as certified replacements ,however mine was 100% new and as you say they do give you the latest model if available ie my AF9 failed and was replaced with an AG9
Maybe it's the cause of the issue that decides whether you get a new or refurbished replacement then.
I know of another Sony LCD owner on this site that has had 4 replacements over the years due to thrips. And all I believe were refurbished sets.

I know Sony are the only manufacturer that will replace your set with this issue, so maybe they see it as they're doing you a favour by even given you a refurbished replacement 🤷‍♂️.

Maybe it's the cause of the issue that decides whether you get a new or refurbished replacement then.
I know of another Sony LCD owner on this site that has had 4 replacements over the years due to thrips. And all I believe were refurbished sets.

I know Sony are the only manufacturer that will replace your set with this issue, so maybe they see it as they're doing you a favour by even given you a refurbished replacement 🤷‍♂️.

Ultimately I don't care if the replacement is a refurb unit as long as the its free of issues and has less hours on it. :)

Known devil Vs. Unknown angel.

Last edited:
Sony only replace sets ,they will not replace a panel
That’s interesting to know. Instead of using Curry’s I decided to get my Sony from ‘John Lewis and I’d taken out the extra insurance so I’ll be interested to know how kenny1979 gets on?

That’s interesting to know. Instead of using Curry’s I decided to get my Sony from ‘John Lewis and I’d taken out the extra insurance so I’ll be interested to know how kenny1979 gets on?
Engineer will be here on Friday, hopefully I'm in from work before he gets here. Get 1 hour time slot on Thursday.

Anyone managed to install the "Freesat" app for their a80j.

Last edited:
Engineer will be here on Friday, hopefully I'm in from work before he gets here. Get 1 hour time slot on Thursday.
I’ve never had a Sony and didn’t know they ‘don’t repair‘ so at least you know you’ll get a ‘exchange. let us know how you get on.👍

For those who have Movies Anywhere (USA) account. I got the app sideloaded. Works fine. 4K picture quality better than built-in Apple TV app (as expected).

Expert 1/2 definitely restraining highlights but also adds that greenish Cinema preset hue.

As I prefer colours to look a bit saturated, I had set Colour at 55 and Live Colour at Low.

I find Manual 20 to be a safe bet for all sources minus BD/UHD for which you can either set it at Off or Auto.

The only setting I took from Classy is Blue and Green Gain. I actually tried Blue Gain -10 pretty much instantly as it looked too coldish blue out of the box. This setting really helped and enabled me to go back to Warm colour temperature which renders white better without that greenish / yellow hue you get with Expert 1/2. This also means you get slightly better whites on highlights.

Ultimately you use your own settings that suits you and not entirely influenced by so-called industry standards. :)

This exactly. My whites look so much better while preserving the warm aspects you would expect when watching movie content

Anyone have best settings for Sky Q? SDR and HD channels seem very bright and definitely need tweaking. The UHD on SkySports is beautiful however it's the opposite and slightly dark.. did anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have best settings for Sky Q? SDR and HD channels seem very bright and definitely need tweaking. The UHD on SkySports is beautiful however it's the opposite and slightly dark.. did anyone else have this problem?

Worth a scroll back through the pages mate. Change the luminance setting from high to medium or low for SDR stuff for a start and get yourself in custom mode

Morning. I started watching The Mandolorain last nigh on Disney+. Whilst the show itself was brilliant the picture quality was disappointing. I was watching in a completely dark room but the black levels were awful.

I assume that this is the way that it is filmed and nothing to do with the TV. I was using DV dark and generally it was a very dark video. Again, I assume it's meant to be like this?

Right at the end when the first credits come up on what looks like a raised black screen it looked a bit of mess. The screen was not very uniform with brightening around the edges and other issues that you see on a 5% grey test pattern.

Maybe that's the problem, that the black levels are actually closer to grey?

Morning. I started watching The Mandolorain last nigh on Disney+. Whilst the show itself was brilliant the picture quality was disappointing. I was watching in a completely dark room but the black levels were awful.

I assume that this is the way that it is filmed and nothing to do with the TV. I was using DV dark and generally it was a very dark video. Again, I assume it's meant to be like this?

Right at the end when the first credits come up on what looks like a raised black screen it looked a bit of mess. The screen was not very uniform with brightening around the edges and other issues that you see on a 5% grey test pattern.

DV Dark is way too dark for me. I always use DV Bright.

Mandalorian, Boba Fett and Wanda Vision to an extent all have murky greyish blacks. That's how these were shot. Nothing to do with the TV. This also causes vertical bands to show up frequently (at least on my 77A80J). Some of the scenes from these look awful on the ZD9 as well.

Disney is trying to maintain this digital look across the board which means some MCU films shot on film went through unnecessary DNR. Thor and Thor Dark World are a mess on 4K. Winter Soldier as well but to a slightly lesser extent.

DV dark will be too dark on certain movies and dramas. If you don't like it switch to DV bright or try boosting the Gamma on DV dark to +1 or +2 to make it watchable.

Last edited:
Mandalorian, Boba Fett and Wanda Vision to an extent all have murky greyish blacks. That's how these were shot. Nothing to do with the TV. This also causes vertical bands to show up frequently (at least on my 77A80J). Some of the scenes from these look awful on the ZD9 as well.

Disney is trying to maintain this digital look across the board which means some MCU films shot on film went through unnecessary DNR. Thor and Thor Dark World are a mess on 4K. Winter Soldier as well but to a slightly lesser extent.

DV dark will be too dark on certain movies and dramas. If you don't like it switch to DV bright or try boosting the Gamma on DV dark to +1 or +2 to make it watchable.
Thank you for the info. I'm glad it's not the TV but it's a shame that Disney are doing this. I was
expecting it to be of much better quality. It would look much better with inky blacks imo.

There may have been some faint banding on my 65" although I couldn't say for sure. It just looked messy.

I will try DV bright later but I was under the impression that it is not very accurate?

It is being calibrated on the 8th so I will see if there's anything that can be done to improve the image.

Thank you for the info. I'm glad it's not the TV but it's a shame that Disney are doing this. I was
expecting it to be of much better quality. It would look much better with inky blacks imo.

There may have been some faint banding on my 65" although I couldn't say for sure. It just looked messy.

I will try DV bright later but I was under the impression that it is not very accurate?

It is being calibrated on the 8th so I will see if there's anything that can be done to improve the image.

The accuracy aspect is overblown. Just ensure it suits your viewing requirements and not heavily influenced by industry standards. For instance, I like colours to look saturated which means my colour slider is at 55 and Live Colour at Medium. Purist can look at me like a third class citizen but I don't care :)

At the same time, please don't watch SDR with everything maxed out as if you do that and watch HDR, it will start to look dim. Also don't crank everything to high values to make it look super bright and vivid. This is what Samsung have been doing on their TVs for years.

Calibration won't help mitigate issues that are in-grained in the source. Sometimes it could work in an opposite manner which could be far from your personal preferences.

Not all content are shot to look pristine. So you will have to compromise on certain aspects. Otherwise you will end up watching YouTube demos only. :)

Ive been watching some of the Sony Bravia Core stuff, and redeemed what I wanted. But I get awful stutter on some of the movies. Running on 1gb and wifi at 5ghz I would have thought this wouldn't have been the case but alas its shit!

You might want to try adjusting the motionflow settings

Ive been watching some of the Sony Bravia Core stuff, and redeemed what I wanted. But I get awful stutter on some of the movies. Running on 1gb and wifi at 5ghz I would have thought this wouldn't have been the case but alas its sh*t!

I am hearing so many buffering issues with Bravia Core in AVSForum. Looks like this service is not stable and I think Sony might pull the plug if they don't care about making it stable and usable. I can't do PureStream because my broadband speed is capped at 31 Mbps.

What film did you try to watch?

So some films are good, i watched Ghostbusters and it was superb, but Surfs up is poor and so is Resident Evil that's terrible. Monster hunter no issues, I would assume that this is some poor encoding its a shame as the sound and picture is superb when its done right.

So I just got this my A80J a few days ago and did the gray uniformity test. I could see a grid at around 5-15% and as much I want to live with it, it’s just really hard to accept.

Been watching Invasion on Apple TV and there are plenty of dark scenes. Couldn’t help but notice the grid and banding. Like in the samples attached.

Is this acceptable or should I return or replace this unit?

Attachments

• A0079067-0876-41A6-B429-AF48A5C01468.jpeg
    A0079067-0876-41A6-B429-AF48A5C01468.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 3A354A42-A0E9-44B2-AEAF-E0A8982AB6AE.jpeg
    3A354A42-A0E9-44B2-AEAF-E0A8982AB6AE.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 195
So I just got this my A80J a few days ago and did the gray uniformity test. I could see a grid at around 5-15% and as much I want to live with it, it’s just really hard to accept.

Been watching Invasion on Apple TV and there are plenty of dark scenes. Couldn’t help but notice the grid and banding. Like in the samples attached.

Is this acceptable or should I return or replace this unit?

Looks really bad. Mine is like 60% similar to yours.

All this banding problems I see here and on avsforum on A80J is really bad. Are mostly bigger sizes affected by this 65" and 77" or 55" aswell? So far I had two OLED's in 55" and both had zero banding, only pink tinting.

I'm about to order 55" A80J but I'm a bit scared of this, it seems like a common problem on A80J.

All this banding problems I see here and on avsforum on A80J is really bad. Are mostly bigger sizes affected by this 65" and 77" or 55" aswell? So far I had two OLED's in 55" and both had zero banding, only pink tinting.

I'm about to order 55" A80J but I'm a bit scared of this, it seems like a common problem on A80J.

It seems common on 77A80J. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom