Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Sorry to read of your continuing issues.

Of the 5 OLED's I have owned ALL of them have had banding. However the one I currently still have (2019 panel) is only noticeable in specific dark grey scenes, i.e its very rare you'll see it.

However the reason I'm posting is: the 83" C1 evo panel I had last year, had negligible banding in dark grey scenes, BUT, banding in bright HDR elements, like a very bright sky. Mainly noticeable when panning. Bad enough that I returned it. My Z9J is the cleanest TV I have ever owned - but yes you might get occasional light diffuse blooming which is visible again in certain panning shots.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, all TV's will have some downside in my experience, but the tough decision is whether you personally can tolerate it. If not, return it for sure and don't look back. You'll get a TV you're happy with, sometimes it's just a pain getting there. :)
I agree that banding is everywhere. If one thing I’ve learnt about Oleds is don’t go looking for it if you don’t see it in normal viewing!!

My A80J is panel is perfect .........in comparison to some of the crap ive been through over the years:rotfl::rotfl:
A1FB93E9-66C8-46F9-B316-01FA6A6B7197.jpeg
CECB97AA-74A6-423D-8831-50DEA3591BBB.jpeg
00C5D2CE-11C7-4E46-88BB-83BDD98DB408.jpeg

Big technical question …… has anyone managed to get the included plastic cable clip to stay in place?

I've had my 77" A80J for a few weeks now and generally I'm very happy with it. I'm using the Custom and Expert 1 picture setting - I haven't changed any of the default settings other than turning off the light sensor.

I'm noticing that the HDR on small areas (e.g. a light or fire) doesn't seem as bright as my previous LG 65" E6. Am I doing something wrong?

Anyone got the WLA-NS7 wireless transmitter and headphones combo for Atmos through headphones? Looking for a solution for watching movies on a school night.

I've had my 77" A80J for a few weeks now and generally I'm very happy with it. I'm using the Custom and Expert 1 picture setting - I haven't changed any of the default settings other than turning off the light sensor.

I'm noticing that the HDR on small areas (e.g. a light or fire) doesn't seem as bright as my previous LG 65" E6. Am I doing something wrong?
My LG 65C8 is brighter as well. But the picture quality is better on the sony.

Quick question - The A80J does not have handsfree voice control, the A84J does I believe. If I pair the A80J with the HTA7000 soundbar which has google now - will the TV act in the same manner as the A84J handsfree function?

My LG 65C8 is brighter as well. But the picture quality is better on the sony.
I agree, the picture quality is better on the Sony. However, part of the reason I opted for the Sony is reviews from the likes of HDTV Test which praised the impact of HDR highlights (I think Vincent used the Mad Max Furu Road 4k disc as an example).

Custom I haven't really done a lot else apart from tinker with reality creation to smooth some hd football I have brightness on 25 for sdr and let tv do it's thing for hdr I have been toying with the idea of calibration but I'm expert and picture looks pretty good to my eyes and also I did a few tests when I first got it and it looks spot on I think I was lucky and got a good panel I bought it in June

What picture mode settings are you guys using?
Custom for SD / HDR10 , for DV I,m using DV Dark on evenings and if it’s really bright during the day I use DV Bright , I’m using the Warm settings posted on YouTube by Classy Tech , and also have adjusted the WB settings in service menu using D-Nice late 2021 77” settings that give a slight brightness boost

I might have to have go classy settings I've seen that video
I’ve only used the Warm settings for DV/HDR10 , they are pretty simple nothing major at all , but do look better to me than standard

I've had the telly 6 months and got a bit lazy with tinkering but I will probably give them settings but every day watching I just think it looks spot on so why mess with it. It is a cracking telly and in my house it's plenty bright enough

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom