Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Try watching season 1 episode 1 of altered carbon on Netflix in a pitch black room at night, from 7mins 20seconds. It will shop up vertical banding if u have any. I would like to know if yours plays it perfectly with nothing visible at all.
Just tried that and perfect.

Glass 4K disc or streaming - 1h:17:24s to 1h:18:30s. Looked very bad on mine. Worse than the usual ones like Marco Polo, Arrival, Altered Carbon etc. As I said, any horizontal panning shot against certain background, the bands show up (including Football). Somehow it disappears when I hit the pause button except on Arrival as it has lots of near black.
Not got that one

When the camera starts panning on mines to the left at exactly 7.24seconds I have a lot of visible vertical banding.

The main bands on mine are located close to the center of the screen. If these bands are closer to the corners it would be hard to notice them. Maybe this is why I am seeing them easily. Such a shame as otherwise the picture quality is excellent.

Marks Electricals are not a big retailer. So I don't want to hurt them by going for another replacement. Just a refund this time.

The main bands on mine are located close to the center of the screen. If these bands are closer to the corners it would be hard to notice them. Maybe this is why I am seeing them easily. Such a shame as otherwise the picture quality is excellent.

Marks Electricals are not a big retailer. So I don't want to hurt them by going for another replacement. Just a refund this time.
As others have said they may improve. I have had my TV more than 4 weeks now, probably only got about 100 hours on it, I doubt I could exchange mines. I haven't seen my banding improve I don't think.

As others have said they may improve. I have had my TV more than 4 weeks now, probably only got about 100 hours on it, I doubt I could exchange mines. I haven't seen my banding improve I don't think.

Very thin ones could disappear over time but thick ones I am doubtful.

I just watched 5 percent grey slides on mines there it looked horrible. I've emailed John Lewis about mines and wait and see the response I get. Unacceptable for a 3000 pound TV really.

I just watched 5 percent grey slides on mines there it looked horrible. I've emailed John Lewis about mines and wait and see the response I get. Unacceptable for a 3000 pound TV really.

I only watched the slides twice. More keen real world content. Next Tuesday will be judgment day.

I,ll be very surprised if they don't come out with the old within spec

That's cheap. Some of us paid £1200 more than that. :( Still cheaper than my 75XD which was £5000! :)

Last edited:
Some paid £600 less than that too

I paid £2,640 and lowest it has been is £2,399 (Costco in-store).

Yesterday I watched War for the Planet of the Apes 4K HDR10. There are few scenes where the bands showed up but I am okay with that as the focus was on the particular character with lights flashing on that with the rest of the frame being near black where the bands were being displayed like seen in the test slides. Here I was drawn into the character and not the near black part so it became less bothersome.

I'm considering getting me 65" professionally calibrated.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who to use? I had my VT65 calibrated by ******** but I don't think he's here anymore?

Thanks,

This is my 77 A80j at 5% Gray. I’ve got banding lines on mine but I don’t see it watching football but did see it on that Altered Carbon but could also see it on my LG..!! I didn’t think your 5%gray test was that bad to be fair in your earlier posts. I just don’t think you’ll find that perfect screen in Oled‘s? All will come with some sort of dark banding in gray tests. With my LG C7 it had to have a new screen because of a burn in fault but both screens had that banding at 5%🤷‍♂️ ? Maybe you would be better going down the Samsung Q- LED route if you get a refund?

Attachments

• CFB8E656-38FF-426C-99F2-434F99DDF203.jpeg
    CFB8E656-38FF-426C-99F2-434F99DDF203.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
This is my 77 A80j at 5% Gray. I’ve got banding lines on mine but I don’t see it watching football but did see it on that Altered Carbon but could also see it on my LG..!! I didn’t think your 5%gray test was that bad to be fair in your earlier posts. I just don’t think you’ll find that perfect screen in Oled‘s? All will come with some sort of dark banding in gray tests. With my LG C7 it had to have a new screen because of a burn in fault but both screens had that banding at 5%🤷‍♂️ ? Maybe you would be better going down the Samsung Q- LED route if you get a refund?

I don't think people worry too much about banding on test patterns.

The banding is seen in real world contents (movies, football etc.). Some of them have a clean panel almost free of these whilst some don't.

That one 1 cm band on mine shows up to 40%. This is the one that shows in football and movies frequently. The remaining 4 or 5 of them are quite faint.

Brightness should be around half way for an accurate result in custom picture mode

Does anyone have any recommendations on who to use? I had my VT65 calibrated by ******** but I don't think he's here anymore?

Thanks,
Canary Jules did mine, highly recommend.

I came from a Sony 65XH9505 to my 77A80J. I think I was really lucky with my Sony XH9505 as it had a very uniform clean picture with no DSE or anything. I just couldn't put up with the blooming on that set. The A80J is really superior in picture quality 90 percent of the time or more. The banding shows up now and again if the content is right. To be fair as you said, the altered carbon clip has banding on my A80j and LG c7 in bedroom with me too. My Sony XH9505 didn't show anything in that scene, just a clean picture. Most people seem to say that most oleds have banding to some degree, but there are a few that say there's are perfect and doesn't show up at all in content. The chances of swapping the TV for one that is exactly the same seems high, or might be extremely lucky and get a better one.

I came from a Sony 65XH9505 to my 77A80J. I think I was really lucky with my Sony XH9505 as it had a very uniform clean picture with no DSE or anything. I just couldn't put up with the blooming on that set. The A80J is really superior in picture quality 90 percent of the time or more. The banding shows up now and again if the content is right. To be fair as you said, the altered carbon clip has banding on my A80j and LG c7 in bedroom with me too. My Sony XH9505 didn't show anything in that scene, just a clean picture. Most people seem to say that most oleds have banding to some degree, but there are a few that say there's are perfect and doesn't show up at all in content. The chances of swapping the TV for one that is exactly the same seems high, or might be extremely lucky and get a better one.
That is such a hard test for a Oled in that scene to get perfect.. People have different tolerance to banding. My wife and kids don’t see it or noticed banding lines on any of my TVs? I got mine from John Lewis as well.. Hopefully you’ll get a good one but would be amazed if you got one without banding.🤞🏻

Thanks,

Canary Jules did mine, highly recommend.
He also did mine, again highly recommended his site is displaycalibration.co.uk

Brightness should be around half way for an accurate result in custom picture mode
pictures was taken in complete darkness and in Custom mode. Picture taken with an iPhone without flash. Most Oled look a mess in 5%

Attachments

• EBCC7BF8-2F41-4EA7-BA2F-2FC789F90FD9.jpeg
    EBCC7BF8-2F41-4EA7-BA2F-2FC789F90FD9.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 114
  • 7091D41A-99DD-44DD-BA25-266056E5C88C.jpeg
    7091D41A-99DD-44DD-BA25-266056E5C88C.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 103
pictures was taken in complete darkness and in Custom mode. Picture taken with an iPhone without flash. Most Oled look a mess in 5%
Still looks way to bright ,are you turning off Night mode on iPhone ?

I don't think people worry too much about banding on test patterns.

The banding is seen in real world contents (movies, football etc.). Some of them have a clean panel almost free of these whilst some don't.

That one 1 cm band on mine shows up to 40%. This is the one that shows in football and movies frequently. The remaining 4 or 5 of them are quite faint.
Sorry to read of your continuing issues.

Of the 5 OLED's I have owned ALL of them have had banding. However the one I currently still have (2019 panel) is only noticeable in specific dark grey scenes, i.e its very rare you'll see it.

However the reason I'm posting is: the 83" C1 evo panel I had last year, had negligible banding in dark grey scenes, BUT, banding in bright HDR elements, like a very bright sky. Mainly noticeable when panning. Bad enough that I returned it. My Z9J is the cleanest TV I have ever owned - but yes you might get occasional light diffuse blooming which is visible again in certain panning shots.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, all TV's will have some downside in my experience, but the tough decision is whether you personally can tolerate it. If not, return it for sure and don't look back. You'll get a TV you're happy with, sometimes it's just a pain getting there. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom