Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Favourite film. Has to be done 😍

20211207_165807.JPG
20211207_171043~2.JPG
20211207_171400.JPG
20211207_171617.JPG
20211207_171802.JPG

Hi guys I’m wondering if you can help. I bought a 65” a80j last week and so far love the tv, the picture is far superior to my old LG OLED. I do however have an issue. I cannot get dts x or Dolby atmos or any uncompressed sound format to pass through the tv to my Samsung q950t soundbar. I have checked all the settings are correct, I am using hdmi 2.1 cables. I connected my Blu-ray player and also my ps5 to play Blu-ray and have yet to get any sort of lossless sound to pass through. Any clues? I can get dts x from both my ps5 and Blu-ray player when connected directly to the soundbar.

I got mine pre calibrated by Crampton and Moore. They run the TV in then calibrate it to industry standard. The final calibration is approved by Vincent Teoh. If you've already purchased a TV then you can find a thread on this forum with recommended calibrators who can come to your house and perform the calibration. It's recommended you have at least 100 hours use on your panel before you get this done.
I did the same, first time I have had any calibration and I do love the picture, how this calibration compares to doing one in your home I wouldn’t know, but I wouldn’t think Vincent would put his name to it if it wasn’t professional

Did you burn your retinas out when Galadriel first shows up?

Aye there was a few moments like that 😂. I squinted when Gandalf was waving his glowing staff about. The Balrog fight was amazing with the flames. I was worried that the highlights wouldn't be bright enough after having a 1700nits+ ZF9 but the deep blacks make the highlights more impactful so it felt just as bright as my ZF9.

Had a weird issue with Now TV though. I changed the setting to 5.1 surround as I have Boost but kept getting ‘PL-0’ errors when viewing live content (such as F1). It worked fine on demand and works fine when set back to stereo.

Tried all the usual steps but nothing seems to work. Anyone else having this issue or know of how to sort it?
Is anyone else able to replicate this issue?

Im trying to work out if it is a bug in the app or a bug specific to my device so would appreciate if someone could try it and see what happens.

I did the same, first time I have had any calibration and I do love the picture, how this calibration compares to doing one in your home I wouldn’t know, but I wouldn’t think Vincent would put his name to it if it wasn’t professional
What happens if you need to factory reset the TV and lose all the settings? Do they provide the calibration in a spreadsheet as well?

What happens if you need to factory reset the TV and lose all the settings? Do they provide the calibration in a spreadsheet as well?

Yes they have provided me with all the settings and information plus a certificate of proof of the calibration. They called me to update me on the calibration and arrange a day for delivery. Also used their own delivery service instead of a courier. The most expensive TV I've ever bought and yet a completely stress free experience 😂. Can't recommend them enough. I'm in work now and I just want to go home to my cave and watch it 😂.

Yes you get a report for the calibration settings so you can always add them on manually

I recently bought the 65" A80J and it looks great so far!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions as this is my first smart TV

1) How to clean the TV? Are my PC wipes okay?
2) How to fully get rid of apple tv? I've uninstalled it, but it's still on my home screen.
3) Any guide for settings for best picture quality?
4) Any guide for best apps to get?

Direct answers or links to previous posts or websites with answers/guides would be fantastic!

My Sky Q UHD installation is taking place on Friday. I'll ask the installer to connect the box to HDMI1 (as I understand there's no benefit to connecting it to one of the 4k 120hz ports). What setting should HDMI1 be set to: Standard format, Enhanced format or Enhanced format (Dolby Vision)?

Same question for the HDMI ports where I will connect my 4k player and my multi-region blu-ray player?

My Sky Q UHD installation is taking place on Friday. I'll ask the installer to connect the box to HDMI1 (as I understand there's no benefit to connecting it to one of the 4k 120hz ports). What setting should HDMI1 be set to: Standard format, Enhanced format or Enhanced format (Dolby Vision)?

Same question for the HDMI ports where I will connect my 4k player and my multi-region blu-ray player?
For HDMI 1 then you have the option of standard or enhanced, it is only ports 3 and 4 that you can set to Dolby vision 120hz, for sky just set to enhanced and I would expect the same for blu-ray players

Looking at purchasing either a A80/A84 just had a few question if you wouldn't mind helping me. I'm 21 and buying my first proper tv -

1 - Is it better to go with the A84 if they are both the same price? I have seen a few mention that A80 might have a better screen?

2 - Am I better waiting for this 55" to go lower than £1,299 in UK?

3 - Does anyone know if boxing day/January sales will have any discount on these?

4 - Has Sony fixed all the UK catch up stuff yet?

Looking at purchasing either a A80/A84 just had a few question if you wouldn't mind helping me. I'm 21 and buying my first proper tv -

1 - Is it better to go with the A84 if they are both the same price? I have seen a few mention that A80 might have a better screen?

2 - Am I better waiting for this 55" to go lower than £1,299 in UK?

3 - Does anyone know if boxing day/January sales will have any discount on these?

1) I don't think I've read reports that the A84 is any better than the A80 in the important areas.
2) You could do, but you might wait for ages. I'd go for it now, and enjoy the benefits.
3) Only the sellers would know that, and they're not telling.
4) Nope, not yet.

I'm really impressed with the HDR highlights on this TV. That XR processor is so impressive. I really wasn't expecting it from an OLED. It's night and day difference from my 2015 LG. Was watching Jurassic Park and the car headlights and torches the characters carry were blinding. Coming from the extremely bright ZF9 I was worried it wouldn't be as impactful. The only noticeable difference in brightness has been when I'm gaming, it's not as impactful but to be honest at times I felt my ZF9 was too bright when gaming. Would get headaches at nighttime. Especially playing Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. That all white screen when meditating scorched my retinas 😂

I was curious about that too and asked them, here is their response as of today:

"Thank you for contacting Sony Support.
With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony XR-65A80J, we are sorry to learn that catch up apps are not found.
Please be advised that the applications are expected to be available as soon as possible.
We are working to make this available to you as soon as possible, however we don't have further communication on the availability date yet.
Please bookmark our support page in the link below and keep an eye for further updates:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/..._a83j_a84j-series/xr-65a80j/software/00269999
Furthermore, please note that you can still enjoy the catch-up TV content by using your mobile device to cast content to your Sony TV using the link below:
Help Guide | Displaying the iPhone/smartphone or iPad/tablet app screen on the TV
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this mail."

For HDMI 1 then you have the option of standard or enhanced, it is only ports 3 and 4 that you can set to Dolby vision 120hz, for sky just set to enhanced and I would expect the same for blu-ray players
Thank you. Can HDMI ports 1 and 2 still accept/show a Dolby Vision picture (as long as it's not 120hz) with the enhanced setting?

Also, when I finally opened the box for my 77 inch A80J, it didn't have the big sticker on the top right-hand side of the screen that I've seen in many unboxing videos. Anybody else also not have the sticker? Just want to make sure I have been given a brand new product.

Last edited:
I was curious about that too and asked them, here is their response as of today:

"Thank you for contacting Sony Support.
With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony XR-65A80J, we are sorry to learn that catch up apps are not found.
Please be advised that the applications are expected to be available as soon as possible.
We are working to make this available to you as soon as possible, however we don't have further communication on the availability date yet.
Please bookmark our support page in the link below and keep an eye for further updates:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/..._a83j_a84j-series/xr-65a80j/software/00269999
Furthermore, please note that you can still enjoy the catch-up TV content by using your mobile device to cast content to your Sony TV using the link below:
Help Guide | Displaying the iPhone/smartphone or iPad/tablet app screen on the TV
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this mail."
I'd like to punch anyone who suggests casting streaming services as a workaround.

I'd like to punch anyone who suggests casting streaming services as a workaround.
There are a couple of seemingly more specific references from Sony about them sorting this in the next few weeks, at the end of this Sony forum:

I posted this from another thread last week. Seems like Sony don't have a unified response over this issue, so who knows :facepalm:

Why? It is a legitimate course of action, solves the problem and takes an extra few seconds to get the content on screen.

I have been using Chromecast devices since September 2014, perhaps to me it is just second nature. Wanting to punch someone for a perfectly viable suggestion seems quite extreme...

Hi everyone I wonder if any of you can help me as Im having problems downloading games from google play store. I have 1.3gb free space on my tv and I have installed a 16gb usb drive aswell. It keeps saying not enough space. Have I done anything wrong or have I got a dodgy tv.

Why? It is a legitimate course of action, solves the problem and takes an extra few seconds to get the content on screen.

I have been using Chromecast devices since September 2014, perhaps to me it is just second nature. Wanting to punch someone for a perfectly viable suggestion seems quite extreme...
Because it's a poor excuse of a solution for something that should have been included in the TV OS before release. I'm not even sure if the picture and audio quality would match that of a native app either?

Because it's a poor excuse of a solution for something that should have been included in the TV OS before release. I'm not even sure if the picture and audio quality would match that of a native app either?
The only thing you would be missing out on is the limited 4K content that is available on iPlayer. Otherwise everything would be even. Actually that is not quite true, the native apps, which generally are bundled as part of the Youview 'app' software (where the Youview implementation is just an alternative GUI for the Freeview Guide and actually, when enabled, disables the recording functionality of the TV...), would cause the TV panel to run at 100hz which fits nicely with 25/50 fps for UKTV content. Casting the UKTV catch up apps to the native Chromecast would result in some judder seen as the software Chromecast runs at a locked 60hz (with no option to change it to 50hz in the Google Home app).

Remember, this is an issue between Sony and Youview, nothing to do with Google (where the TV OS is Google TV).

Still, wanting to punch someone for suggesting a viable work around seems a bit silly to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom