Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I’m considering am A80j. But comming from a 2016 lg b6d oled I’m wondering how the motion handling compares. I have to admit that I do like that often discussed soap opera effect a lot, since I think it gives just more depth to the image. Thus I’m wondering if there are setting on the A80j to create such an effect without artifacts , or scarifying sharpness. Unfortunately the lg created lots of artifacts when setting smoothness and clearness to a high setting.
Moreover I saw lots of videos complaining about a serious judder in 30fps games, is that true, or was this just wrong settings?(most qualitymode games with ray tracing are 30 fps this generation)

I'm 2 weeks in with my new A80J, got most things sorted.

One nagging thing is when I go to the A/V settings on the Apple TV 4K (1st Gen plugged into HDMI 4) the highest setting I'm seeing is 50 HZ HDR. I thought Dolby Vision would be a option?

Any suggestions for how to safely clean the screen gratefully received...

cheers

mike
Two very soft, clean, lint free cloths.
Dampen one very slightly with warm, clean distilled, (preferably), water and gently wipe the screen over.
Use the other dry cloth to lightly clear any remaining streaks.
Do this with the telly off of course.
Works for me.

Thanks. Surely Google auto-updates it though?
I've had this one since September and the prior version for 6 months before that. There have been no updates and it has remained working since day one. How will Google auto-update it if it has not been officially released for this model?

One nagging thing is when I go to the A/V settings on the Apple TV 4K (1st Gen plugged into HDMI 4) the highest setting I'm seeing is 50 HZ HDR. I thought Dolby Vision would be a option?

Have you got the ATV in HDMI port 3 or 4 and have you set the port to enhanced dolby vision?

How will Google auto-update it if it has not been officially released for this model?
I was thinking the very same on my run this morning. I think if the app’s not in the Playstore for the TV then it should be okay. Much like Google for Work, but I digress.
I‘ve had to uninstall Total Commander though, as it keeps waking the TV up every 5 minutes or so, which makes the USB lights come on. No big deal if I need to sideload again.
Now I just need to find a way to reduce the screensaver timeout from 5 to 1 minute, as Google don’t give the option. In theory I should be able to connect to the TV via ADB.

Hello, we received our A80J a few weeks ago and set it up with our PS5 and BT TV box. The tv has now been put on the wall and the people changed the HDMI ports. The bt box is now in HDMI 4 (it was in 1). I’ve managed to change the TV button to go to HDMI 4, but when I press the TV button when on it, it doesn’t come up with the control bar at the bottom anymore, and I cannot change the channels with the remote now when I used to be able to. Is there a way of reconfiguring this so it works with the remote? I have gone into settings and channels and inputs, and set up the box, but it doesn’t give the option of setting up the remote. Have they happened to put it in a HDMI port that doesn’t let the remote control work?
HI - I had a similar-ish issue with mine....not responding to buttons for TV or Guide, etc. I switched it off at the wall, counted to five, then switched back on and all was ok....

I'm not sure if you are referring to controlling the BT box with the TV remote? I've not been able to do that at all....

cheers

m

I’m considering am A80j. But comming from a 2016 lg b6d oled I’m wondering how the motion handling compares. I have to admit that I do like that often discussed soap opera effect a lot, since I think it gives just more depth to the image. Thus I’m wondering if there are setting on the A80j to create such an effect without artifacts , or scarifying sharpness. Unfortunately the lg created lots of artifacts when setting smoothness and clearness to a high setting.
Moreover I saw lots of videos complaining about a serious judder in 30fps games, is that true, or was this just wrong settings?(most qualitymode games with ray tracing are 30 fps this generation)
The Sony's are very good at motion handling. If SOE is what you want to achieve (even for 24p films though???) Then you have two avenues you can try.

1: Motionflow Custom, Smoothness Max, Clearness Min (or 1 it's up to you, feel free to experiment :) ), Film mode/Cinemotion Off.

2. Motionflow Custom, Smoothness 1 or 2 (depending how much smoothing effect you want), Clearness Min (or 1, up to you), Film mode/Cinemotion High.

Option 1 will give you smoothing but more gently. Option 2 is more aggressive which is why Smoothness shouldn't really go to Max in combination with Film mode High.

If you did want to watch content at the 'correct' frame rate, well if the source is outputting a 24hz refresh rate signal, Motionflow and Film mode can both be set to Off and the TV will display 24p content using 5:5 pulldown. Otherwise if you are using a native app or are sending across a 24p signal inside a 60hz refresh rate, then you would need to set Motionflow Custom, Smoothness Min, Clearness Min, Film mode High.

I hope this helps.

@BaggieBoy
Best settings for ATV4K in the UK are the following:
Video output set to 4K SDR 50hz. Change YCbCr to RGH High. In Match content ENABLE both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate.

These settings will ensure that you watch all.content correctly, i.e. SDR as SDR, HDR10 as HDR10, DV as DV as well as watching everything with the refresh rate of the box and TV matching the frame rate of the content.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Are the games not optimised well enough that they run at either a locked 30/60/120 fps?

It's always been my opinion that VRR tech is more for PCs due to the wide variety of hardware the games can be played on. One of the benefits of consoles is that the hardware is the same and standard so the games can be fully optimised to hit a certain frame rate, negating the need really for VRR.

Interested to hear others opinions on this. I wonder if sometimes.people like to see all the available features ticked, even if they're not really needed, if you know mean?
VRR would allow the unlocked frame rate modes to work properly.
So far Sony seem to be aiming for a range of 48-120hz which suggests it’s more about the ‘optimised’ games that can almost reach 60hz or will go past 60hz but won’t get to 120hz.
I think it is a useful feature that will be appreciated more as players get to experience it in action.

My TV is arriving on Tuesday. I was wondering if you could please advise me on how to connect it all together. I have the following :

Sony 65A80
Samsung K950 soundbar CEC and True HD Atmos
Sky Q
Nvidia Shield Pro 2019
Xbox one S
Nintendo Switch
4k hdmi switch 60hz
Logitech harmony remote

The Shield gets most usage followed by Sky Q and then Xbox. I should also probably mention I use a cabinet with a built in cantiliver mount

I'm seriously tempted to upgrade the soundbar to a Samsung Q950a but I'm out of cash...

Many thanks 👍
Any advice? 🙏

Have you got the ATV in HDMI port 3 or 4 and have you set the port to enhanced dolby vision?
Port 4. However...

When I was messing about yesterday I only saw two options for the HDMI signal, Standard and Enhanced. Today I'm getting a third, Enhanced (Dolby Vision). Selected it and Bingo!

Last edited:
My TV is arriving on Tuesday. I was wondering if you could please advise me on how to connect it all together. I have the following :

Sony 65A80
Samsung K950 soundbar CEC and True HD Atmos
Sky Q
Nvidia Shield Pro 2019
Xbox one S
Nintendo Switch
4k hdmi switch 60hz
Logitech harmony remote

The Shield gets most usage followed by Sky Q and then Xbox. I should also probably mention I use a cabinet with a built in cantiliver mount

I'm seriously tempted to upgrade the soundbar to a Samsung Q950a but I'm out of cash...

Many thanks 👍
Out of interest, what are you using the Shield for? You should be fine to use all the streaming apps natively on the TV. The only reason I can think that you would continue to use the Shield might be for internal streaming using Plex or something like that? Perhaps also the UKTV catch up apps?

The Soundbar needs to go into HDMI 3 which is generally the ARC port on Sony TVs.

The Xbox One S should go into HDMI 2.

Put Sky Q into HDMI 1.

Put The Nintendo Switch into HDMI 4.

Plug the Nvidia Shield Pro into the HDMI In port on the soundbar.

This should allow you to negate the need for the HDMI Switch. Unless you watch quite a lot of Bluray discs, in which case you may want to either swap the Xbox to the HDMI In port of the Soundbar and use the Shield in HDMI 2. Or you could use your HDMI switch to have both the Xbox and Shield connected to the HDMI In on the Soundbar.

I hope this helps.

HI, is there a link to some smart/worthwhile picture settings you can use? I still have the 'out of the box' settings, so Brightness is Max, Picture Mode is Standard. etc. To be honest, those settings look ok to me, although I haven't watched anything with fast motion in it yet. I was worried that Max Brightness could affect the screen (though some films, like The Last Duel, are very dark still!).

cheers

m

I presume you will not get any form of HDR on any HDMI input until you set it to enhanced? Where in the menus is this setting?

HI, is there a link to some smart/worthwhile picture settings you can use? I still have the 'out of the box' settings, so Brightness is Max, Picture Mode is Standard. etc. To be honest, those settings look ok to me, although I haven't watched anything with fast motion in it yet. I was worried that Max Brightness could affect the screen (though some films, like The Last Duel, are very dark still!).

cheers

m
Is that when watching HDR content?...

Got our shiny new A84J yesterday! :)

Can anyone please tell me when I should ever use the "Dolby" audio setting?

I've got the picture set to "Custom" so that it automatically detects the source signal (NetFlix, IMAX on Disney+, etc) and it sets the picture to how the producer or streaming service intends it - but I noticed that audio remains on whichever setting I've manually set it at.

At the moment, we are just using the TV for audio (no soundbar or AVR).

So, should I just keep manually setting the audio to suite whatever I'm watching? I'd find that a bit of a pain to be honest.

I put Avengers on last night (Disney+ / IMAX) - and wasn't sure if the better sound experience would be with audio set to Cinema or Dolby.

Any help appreciated :)

Out of interest, what are you using the Shield for? You should be fine to use all the streaming apps natively on the TV. The only reason I can think that you would continue to use the Shield might be for internal streaming using Plex or something like that? Perhaps also the UKTV catch up apps?

The Soundbar needs to go into HDMI 3 which is generally the ARC port on Sony TVs.

The Xbox One S should go into HDMI 2.

Put Sky Q into HDMI 1.

Put The Nintendo Switch into HDMI 4.

Plug the Nvidia Shield Pro into the HDMI In port on the soundbar.

This should allow you to negate the need for the HDMI Switch. Unless you watch quite a lot of Bluray discs, in which case you may want to either swap the Xbox to the HDMI In port of the Soundbar and use the Shield in HDMI 2. Or you could use your HDMI switch to have both the Xbox and Shield connected to the HDMI In on the Soundbar.

I hope this helps.
Many thanks!

I asked this question about upgrading my Nvidia Shield a week or so ago. I use it mostly for 4K atmos Emby streams, IPTV (using NORDVPN), Netflix and iPlayer. Someone at the time advised me to stick with the Shield to make sure I got full Atmos and HDR on all my streams. I'm happy to save some money if the TV really can do it all...

I've been using the hdmi switch as I had problems fitting all the cables in the cantilever column, mainly because of my old LG's power cable being awkward. I've not opened the Sony's box yet. Does it have a detachable power cable by any chance? Plus how long is the power cable? The LG one was really short.

Many thanks!

I asked this question about upgrading my Nvidia Shield a week or so ago. I use it mostly for 4K atmos Emby streams, IPTV (using NORDVPN), Netflix and iPlayer. Someone at the time advised me to stick with the Shield to make sure I got full Atmos and HDR on all my streams. I'm happy to save some money if the TV really can do it all...

I've been using the hdmi switch as I had problems fitting all the cables in the cantilever column, mainly because of my old LG's power cable being awkward. I've not opened the Sony's box yet. Does it have a detachable power cable by any chance? Plus how long is the power cable? The LG one was really short.
It's just a standard kettle lead iirc. 1m maybe?

Holy moly. The picture on this thing is insane. Even impressed with the sound but it doesn't beat my soundbar. Might use the TV speakers at nighttime though. The motion and upscaling is even better than my ZF9. It's certainly bright enough too. That XR processor is incredible. Glad I got it calibrated. Means I won't spend time faffing about with the picture 😂. Now to decide what to watch next.

20211207_160217~2.JPG

20211207_160806.JPG

Got our shiny new A84J yesterday! :)

Can anyone please tell me when I should ever use the "Dolby" audio setting?

I've got the picture set to "Custom" so that it automatically detects the source signal (NetFlix, IMAX on Disney+, etc) and it sets the picture to how the producer or streaming service intends it - but I noticed that audio remains on whichever setting I've manually set it at.

At the moment, we are just using the TV for audio (no soundbar or AVR).

So, should I just keep manually setting the audio to suite whatever I'm watching? I'd find that a bit of a pain to be honest.

I put Avengers on last night (Disney+ / IMAX) - and wasn't sure if the better sound experience would be with audio set to Cinema or Dolby.

Any help appreciated :)
I imagine 'Dolby' will decode any audio into DD and output it in DD Stereo or DD 5.1 virtually.

Edit:
found a help page in the online manual: Help Guide | “Sound” advanced settings

[Sound mode] settings​

SettingDescription
StandardOptimise sound quality for general content.
DialogueSuitable for spoken dialogue.
CinemaOptimise surround sound for movies.
MusicLets you experience dynamic and clear sound, like that of a concert.
SportsSimulates the larger space of a stadium or other venue.
Dolby AudioOutput sound processed by Dolby acoustic technology.

I imagine 'Dolby' will decode any audio into DD and output it in DD Stereo or DD 5.1 virtually.

Edit:
found a help page in the online manual: Help Guide | “Sound” advanced settings

[Sound mode] settings​

SettingDescription
StandardOptimise sound quality for general content.
DialogueSuitable for spoken dialogue.
CinemaOptimise surround sound for movies.
MusicLets you experience dynamic and clear sound, like that of a concert.
SportsSimulates the larger space of a stadium or other venue.
Dolby AudioOutput sound processed by Dolby acoustic technology.
Thanks.
I saw that in the manual too but I don’t understand when it is best to set it to Dolby. If I’m using the TVs own speakers - should I just leave it set to Dolby. Or would you only set it to Dolby if outputting to an AVR.

Holy moly. The picture on this thing is insane. Even impressed with the sound but it doesn't beat my soundbar. Might use the TV speakers at nighttime though. The motion and upscaling is even better than my ZF9. It's certainly bright enough too. That XR processor is incredible. Glad I got it calibrated. Means I won't spend time faffing about with the picture 😂. Now to decide what to watch next.

View attachment 1615531
View attachment 1615532
What is involved with getting it calibrated?

What is involved with getting it calibrated?

I got mine pre calibrated by Crampton and Moore. They run the TV in then calibrate it to industry standard. The final calibration is approved by Vincent Teoh. If you've already purchased a TV then you can find a thread on this forum with recommended calibrators who can come to your house and perform the calibration. It's recommended you have at least 100 hours use on your panel before you get this done.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom