Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

The one from Costco says 11/2021 and the one from Currys says 10/2021. Is there some advantage to having a more recent build date?

The one from Costco says 11/2021 and the one from Currys says 10/2021. Is there some advantage to having a more recent build date?
I doubt it ,I was just interested to see the Costco date ,I will say that mines a 11/2021 and it’s spot on 👍

How do we close the apps that are running in the background? Some apps have an exit app option & some don't. Anyway we can see which apps are running in the background?

Thanks.

So finally got the 77A80J set up yesterday. Fed by an Oppo 203, Apple TV & PS4, via the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar into the eARC HDMI using Chord C-View HDMI cables from start to finish in the chain.

The TV is super clean and has no issues I can see. (I'm not about to go looking either) To my eyes its very good.

I've used Classy Tech's basic settings... Dolby Dark & Cinema with Warm Temp and -3 Green -15 Blue in the basic colour settings. Everything else turned off.

The Oppo is being asked to tone map to around 1000 nits and is currently using TV led DV. I suspect with the TV being newer it will give less problems than having the Oppo do it. Its also putting out Source Direct too.

Reflections are being handled like a champ despite being directly opposite a window with no curtains only blinds. SDR, HDR10 and DV all look outstanding and as I say, from what I can see the panel looks clean of issues and nothing I can spot in day to day watching.

Last edited:
Is anybody using the 84j ?

Does anybody know to setup the voice command without having to press button on the remote ?

Anyone else having what I can only assume is a hand shake issue with PS5? Sometimes when I switch from my Series X or Internal apps to my PS5 I just get a black screen and other times I get a picture but no sound and the only way to get it back is to reset the TV and then it works fine. 🤔

Very annoying, I'm using the HDMI cable that was supplied with the PS5 and it's plugged into HDMI 4. You wouldn't think these type of issues would be possible connecting a Sony to a Sony!

Is anybody using the 84j ?

Does anybody know to setup the voice command without having to press button on the remote ?
For me it was the first time you press the Google Assistant(Mic) button on the remote which then gives you an option on the screen to setup voice assistant for the TV mic.

Anyone else having what I can only assume is a hand shake issue with PS5? Sometimes when I switch from my Series X or Internal apps to my PS5 I just get a black screen and other times I get a picture but no sound and the only way to get it back is to reset the TV and then it works fine. 🤔

Very annoying, I'm using the HDMI cable that was supplied with the PS5 and it's plugged into HDMI 4. You wouldn't think these type of issues would be possible connecting a Sony to a Sony!
Try another HDMI cable or swap it with the one on the Series X. So you got the PS5 & Xbox on a switch?

For me it was the first time you press the Google Assistant(Mic) button on the remote which then gives you an option on the screen to setup voice assistant for the TV mic.
I don’t recall getting the option ?

I’ve there is absolutely nothing in the menus, even when I follow Sony’s guidance the options they give aren’t on the tv ?

I have the switch on the back of the tv and it’s definitely the 84 and not the 80 !

I don’t recall getting the option ?

I’ve there is absolutely nothing in the menus, even when I follow Sony’s guidance the options they give aren’t on the tv ?

I have the switch on the back of the tv and it’s definitely the 84 and not the 80 !
Well my A80J (Asian Version) also has inbuilt mic in the tv & the switch on the back left side. Have you put the switch on? I had the same issue earlier & did a factory reset & then when i pressed the google assistant button the first time on the remote, i was asked if i want to do the setup for the Voice Assistant for the in-built mic on the Tv. Do you have the option to switch on/off the Orange led light in the Settings? I have that enable for mine & also have the orange led on when the tv is in standby or powered on. That light shows if the Mic is active or not.

I can confirm that S-CENTRE speaker mode does not work.
I used an impedance matcher to convert the speaker level signal from the centre speaker terminal of my AV amp to a line level signal.
I then used an AV cable (the ones that have a three connection 3.5mm plug at one end and phono plugs at the other for left audio, right audio and composite video).
I can confirm there is an audio signal coming out of the converter by listening with headphones but no matter which input I feed it into in the TV's S-CENTER socket no sound comes out of the TV screen. I have turned on the setting to enable centre channel mode.
After that I wondered if it was actually a digital optical signal that the TV expects from that socket so I tried one and it still doesn't work.
So it doesn't work with a line level audio signal and it doesn't work with a digital optical signal.
I'm stumped.
Found in another article: To use the center speaker mode, you must not only activate the center speaker setting. You also have to change the sound device from “TV speakers” to “audio system”, otherwise no sound will come out. That may not make sense to everyone. In theory, that change to “audio system” should happen automatically when you switch on the receiver (provided HDMI-CEC is activated on the audio device). But was it the Sony TV or our longer HDMI cable, the fact is that the TV did not always make the switch by itself.

Try another HDMI cable or swap it with the one on the Series X. So you got the PS5 & Xbox on a switch?
I was waiting to see if anyone else was having the issue before I try new cables, it's just odd. I have absolutely no issues once it's working and can play games at 4k 120fps no problem but if I go from the Disney+ TV app or from Series X to PS5 that's when I have issues.

PS5 is in HDMI 4 and my Series X is HDMI 3.

I was waiting to see if anyone else was having the issue before I try new cables, it's just odd. I have absolutely no issues once it's working and can play games at 4k 120fps no problem but if I go from the Disney+ TV app or from Series X to PS5 that's when I have issues.

PS5 is in HDMI 4 and my Series X is HDMI 3.
Could be a firmware bug i guess, i got the Xbox SX & have no hdmi handshake issues at all, even if i jump from inbuilt app to Xbox. Could be a firmware update is needed for the PS5 to fix this, that's if it's not the hdmi cable off course. Hope some PS5 owners can help you with this.

Could be a firmware bug i guess, i got the Xbox SX & have no hdmi handshake issues at all, even if i jump from inbuilt app to Xbox. Could be a firmware update is needed for the PS5 to fix this, that's if it's not the hdmi cable off course. Hope some PS5 owners can help you with this.
Yeah my Series X works flawless with no issue at all, I'm guessing it's a software bug with the PS5. I never had this issue with my previous C8 though.

Is it auto switching to PS5 when you switch the PS5 on, or are you following some other steps when this occurs?

I must admit, I normally switch my PS5 on when everything is off, so the TV comes on and then it auto switches to the PS5 input (hdmi 4).

I haven't come across what you have seen, but maybe it's because I'm powering up from scratch.

I have a 65” xh9505 in my bedroom and I’m quite disappointed with the oled brightness, I regret not getting the top 77” Sony led

Hello everybody.
New member here ^^
thank you for that website, looks like you have build a cool community :))

I have a question about the 55'' A80JU and A84JU.

So I bought the a84ju from currys on 30th November, paid full with cash.
no stock however was supposed to take couple of weeks to be delivered.
last night i got a sms saying it will be delivered on 10th of January, like... wtfff.

Im really dissapointed at the moment and im considering taking my money back and getting it from somewhere else.

So my question really is what is the diffrence between A80JU and A84JU, since the person at currys ( who was working for sonny actually) said that only currys have the a84j model and everybody else got the a80j.
he said something about colour enhancement and something else, but I cant recall exactly what he said and it might also be bluff.

I have a 65” xh9505 in my bedroom and I’m quite disappointed with the oled brightness, I regret not getting the top 77” Sony led
I'm surprised to hear this, as I came from a Sony XF9005 to my first ever oled and I haven't missed the 'blow my retinas out' of the XF. The brightness aspect was a little concern leading up to my purchase, but in the end I had absolutely nothing to worry about. It's been plenty bright enough during gaming, as well as Dolby Vision films.
I guess it all depends on the individual at the end of the day.

Hello everybody.
New member here ^^

last night i got a sms saying it will be delivered on 10th of January, like... wtfff.

Im really dissapointed at the moment and im considering taking my money back and getting it from somewhere else.

So my question really is what is the diffrence between A80JU and A84JU, since the person at currys ( who was working for sonny actually) said that only currys have the a84j model and everybody else got the a80j.
he said something about colour enhancement and something else, but I cant recall exactly what he said and it might also be bluff.
Hi - This question has been asked a lot and you should find the answer within the last 5 or so pages.
I personally wouldn't worry about the A84 and just buy the A80 if you want it soon. 👍

Hello everybody.
New member here ^^

He's talking bollocks ,as the Sony centres have the 80 and 84 too , the colour enhancement is only in vivid mode , and I think it has built in microphone too , and that's the only differences

He's talking bollocks ,as the Sony centres have the 80 and 84 too , the colour enhancement is only in vivid mode , and I think it has built in microphone too , and that's the only differences
Blimey, mate you still have the buying bug ... is the 80/84 an upgrade on your AG9 per PQ.

just called the local harrow sony center, gentleman said he will have stock on tuesday, going in now to pay deposit and tomorrow going to currys to cancel it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom