Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

The feet stick out about 15cm front and back, so surely when you hang it the feet will be in the way. I just left mine standing in the box whilst I put the vesa mount on. A bit wobbly but got away with it.
Youre assuming that it's going on the wall 😉 the feet won't be in the way as I'm using a TV stand that utilizes the Vesa mount.
But leaving it in the box might be an idea, could be a bit awkward if it needs to come off for adjusting to the perfect height.
Thanks for the suggestion though 👍

Anyone else know how easily the feet can be removed?

Youre assuming that it's going on the wall 😉 the feet won't be in the way as I'm using a TV stand that utilizes the Vesa mount.
But leaving it in the box might be an idea, could be a bit awkward if it needs to come off for adjusting to the perfect height.
Thanks for the suggestion though 👍

Anyone else know how easily the feet can be removed?
Ha mine was for a stand too. Sanus VTVS1 and it works great for my narrow unit.

I'm still waiting on my order to be delivered and I had a question....

I'm currently using a Nvidia Shield (2017) for all my streaming (Emby, Netflix, iPlayer and IPTV + VPN). Can I use Google TV on the Sony instead?

I've been connecting the Shield to a Samsung K950 soundbar and ordered a 2019 Shield Pro as an impulse BF purchase. I was wondering if I need it at all if the TV can decode atmos and upscale to 4K. Or am I missing something?

Many thanks.

That should be at Gradation preferred.
These work as a good base Sony A80J OLED Calibration Settings

Then if you want to further tune the white point to get as close to D6500;
Colour Temp: Warm
Adv. colour adjustment Basic: Red Max, Green -3, Blue -15
(that's from the Keep It Classy Tech YouTube vids, he's a pro calibrator and has some good vids out.
Note: Every panel is different, use what looks good for you.
Hi, I'm just watching the Keep it Classy Tech Video and his settings are different to the above...Expert 1 colour temp, Red gain -3, Green gain max, Blue gain -6.

Could I be watching the wrong video?

I'm currently using a Nvidia Shield (2017) for all my streaming (Emby, Netflix, iPlayer and IPTV + VPN). Can I use Google TV on the Sony instead?

I've been connecting the Shield to a Samsung K950 soundbar and ordered a 2019 Shield Pro as an impulse BF purchase. I was wondering if I need it at all if the TV can decode atmos and upscale to 4K. Or am I missing something?

Many thanks.

You will need your Shield if you use iPlayer. Personally I like having a dedicated streamer as they're usually updated more, supported for longer and fixed more quickly if issues occur.

Hi, I'm just watching the Keep it Classy Tech Video and his settings are different to the above...Expert 1 colour temp, Red gain -3, Green gain max, Blue gain -6.

That’s the one I used before I had my tv calibrated. He uses expert 1 in that video.

Anyone have the dreaded...

Something went wrong. Please try again. If you continue to have issues, please contact Disney+ Subscription Support.

Seems to happen with certain 4K films, specifically Logan and Terminator Salvation, yet other 4K ones play fine (Iron Man, Rogue One).

Logan played fine a few weeks ago during that period they 'turned off' 4K, now its back again i get the above warning.

Uninstalled and re-installed the Disney + app as well, very frustrating.

You will need your Shield if you use iPlayer. Personally I like having a dedicated streamer as they're usually updated more, supported for longer and fixed more quickly if issues occur.
I know what you mean.
I could use a fire stick for iPlayer though. I presume the same apps are available on the Nvidia shield and the TV. I'm planning on keeping this about 3 years so I'm hoping Sony will continue to support it.
I was wondering if I could save a bit of money though if the TV was as good as the Shield for the apps I mentioned. It would also free up one hdmi and make things simpler for the family.

The settings you mentioned are from one he did earlier in the year. He released an updated video in November which include the settings I posted.

The 55" A80J....How easy do the feet come back off.
I've seen the videos and they snap into place super easy.

The plan is to put the feet on, have it standing up while I screw the Vesa bracket on, hang it, then hopefully uplug the feet just as easily.

Sony 's instructions for removing the feet
Remove one side of the Table-Top Stand at a time. Firmly hold the Table-Top Stand securely with both hands while the other people lift up the TV.
Note • Three or more people are required to detach the Table-Top Stand. • Be careful not to use excessive force while detaching the Table-Top Stand from the TV as it may cause the TV set to fall resulting in personal injury or physical damage to the TV.
Page 10 of the attached pdf
Doesn't sound very straight forward.

Attachments

• Sony a80j.pdf
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 68
Several days into 65" ownership, and apart from a foot issue am loving it with no problems. I tend to apps like Netflix or Disney+ from my Apple TV device though rather than the inbuilt ones, I'm not sure if there is an advantage or disadvantage to either approach? (My apple TV is set to the 50hz Dolby Vision output)

I haven't adjusted any picture settings yet, so will do some research on that next

cheers
Ideal settings for ATV4K in the UK are set the video output settings to 4K SDR 50hz RGB High. Enable match content for both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range. This will ensure you watch all content correctly. This also means you can turn Off Motionflow and Film mode/Cinemotion becasue you will be sending all content to the tv at the correct refresh rate for the content's frame rate. You can of course improve high fps sport content using Motinflow though if you wish.

Ideal settings for ATV4K in the UK are set the video output settings to 4K SDR 50hz RGB High. Enable match content for both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range. This will ensure you watch all content correctly. This also means you can turn Off Motionflow and Film mode/Cinemotion becasue you will be sending all content to the tv at the correct refresh rate for the content's frame rate. You can of course improve high fps sport content using Motinflow though if you wish.
Cheers...seems odd to not set it to the highest setting for Dolby Vision but will go and change it. Havent been into the TV picture settings yet so havent touched Motion flow

thanks

Cheers...seems odd to not set it to the highest setting for Dolby Vision but will go and change it. Havent been into the TV picture settings yet so havent touched Motion flow

thanks
If you lock the ATV settings to DV then the apple box will display all content as wrapped in a DV signal, where a lot of content is NOT DV. This would result in a worse looking image and certainly not what the director intended. Also DV will cause the TV to always be in its highest brightness/peak luminance setting and this will vastly increase your risk of burn-in.

If you follow my advice in the previous post, the ATV4K will output 24p content at 24hz refresh rate, 25p content at a 50hz refresh rate (where each frame is simply displayed twice), 30p content at a 60hz refresh rate (each frame is shown twice) and 50 fps content in 50hz refresh rate and 60 fps content at 60hz refresh rate. Also SDR content will be output as SDR, HDR10 content will be output as HDR10 and DV content will be output as DV.

Hope this helps :)

If you lock the ATV settings to DV then the apple box will display all content as wrapped in a DV signal, where a lot of content is NOT DV. This would result in a worse looking image and certainly not what the director intended. Also DV will cause the TV to always be in its highest brightness/peak luminance setting and this will vastly increase your risk of burn-in.

If you follow my advice in the previous post, the ATV4K will output 24p content at 24hz refresh rate, 25p content at a 50hz refresh rate (where each frame is simply displayed twice), 30p content at a 60hz refresh rate (each frame is shown twice) and 50 fps content in 50hz refresh rate and 60 fps content at 60hz refresh rate. Also SDR content will be output as SDR, HDR10 content will be output as HDR10 and DV content will be output as DV.

Hope this helps :)
Cheers!!! :) Just changed it and the HDMI Output from YCbCr to RGB High

Cheers!!! :) Just changed it and the HDMI Output from YCbCr to RGB High
Nice one. Whilst you're sat on the ATV4K home page, you may want to then go to the Picture settings of the TV, change the picture mode to Custom (the most accurate OOTB picture mode on Sony TVs generally) and in the Motion part of the picture settings set Motionflow Off and Film mode/Cinemotion Off for your ATV4K input. If you do plan to watch on sport on the ATV4K box e.g. Sky Sports via NowTV or BT Sport, maybe try Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness 2 or 3 (what is the max value on the A80J?), Clearness Min (but you could try 1 for SDR sport), with Film mode/Cinemotion at either High or Auto. This should help to get an even smoother image when viewing sports. Otherwise, given you are using match frame rate on the ATV4K, you can leave Motionflow and Film mode Off and you will see the content as the director intended at the correct frame rate.

Hope this helps!

Anyone got a better price for the 65 XR65A80J of 1799?
1638299230232.png

here you go..

im still struggling to get the tv to output the correct atmos output to my amp. nothing from the tv shows atmos only dd+, other direct sources (virgin, xbox) do. enhanced hdmi is on and the hdmi is the same as previous that output it from my b7

Many thanks.
Does anyone have any more thoughts? 👍

Does anyone have any more thoughts? 👍
Afaik the TV should be able to do all of what the Shield currently does, if the app’s in the PlayStore (for Sony) or can be sideloaded. I'm trying to ditch my Humax Aura but still need it for iPlayer and the other terrestrial catchup services, which Sony allegedly say are coming to the TV this year. Everything else is fine though, and Kodi works better than on the Aura. Upscaling to 4K will happen, and I'd assume Atmos would be supported, but my AVR doesn't have that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom