Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

You would think this would have been picked up in QC prior to release? I don't know what on earth is going on with Sony and their quality control! I had a nightmare with faulty screens on my A8, eventually got one without fault. Now have a faulty screen on a brand new 65A80J
Ive read that pink tint is sadly common on the new Evo panels but I was under the impression they were only being used in the 77" models?

I would be returning that ASAP, I've also been through the ringer with panel lottery in the past and it's such a pain to deal with! 😭 Imo tint is much worse than vertical banding or even DSE.

Very happy with the uniformity on my 55" A80J, got a very feint band in the centre but its only visible in extreme panel torture test material.

Ive read that pink tint is sadly common on the new Evo panels but I was under the impression they were only being used in the 77" models?

I would be returning that ASAP, I've also been through the ringer with panel lottery in the past and it's such a pain to deal with! 😭 Imo tint is much worse than vertical banding or even DSE.

Very happy with the uniformity on my 55" A80J, got a very feint band in the centre but its only visible in extreme panel torture test material.
I've got the 77inch and so far it's perfect.

It is being swapped out next week, fingers crossed as the PQ is def a step up from the A8.

Looking to pick up the 65" A80J this week. Would someone be kind enough to measure the distance between the stand feet please. Just want to make sure that it'll fit on my cabinet.

Qq...what should HDR Tone Mapping be set to?
That should be at Gradation preferred.
These work as a good base Sony A80J OLED Calibration Settings

Then if you want to further tune the white point to get as close to D6500;
Colour Temp: Warm
Adv. colour adjustment Basic: Red Max, Green -3, Blue -15
(that's from the Keep It Classy Tech YouTube vids, he's a pro calibrator and has some good vids out.
Note: Every panel is different, use what looks good for you.

Does the a80j have the xbox app i.e. could i remote play my Series X from the living room to this TV?

Does the a80j have the xbox app i.e. could i remote play my Series X from the living room to this TV?
You may be able to access Xbox Cloud Gaming via the browser but no native app for Google TV, the app is just on Android phone/tablet and Windows. Not sure if there is a way to side load but doubt it would work correctly.

Although I've just seen an article (posted 30 mins ago on an Xbox site) that may suggest an announcement is coming this week that could point towards smart TV integration.....

Although I've just seen an article (posted 30 mins ago on an Xbox site) that may suggest an announcement is coming this week that could point towards smart TV integration.....

Do you have the link?

(that's from the Keep It Classy Tech YouTube vids, he's a pro calibrator and has some good vids out.

I've literally just been watching his video for HDR and SDR content and used his settings. Was interested to see his use of "Warm" for the Colour temperature + the Advance colour temperature tweaks. Anyone tried it and feel it was an improvement? I know he's saying it might not give the Wow factor, but I like the idea of better fidelity.

I picked up a XR65A80J for 1595 at hills direct before the price went up today! Seemed a good price

The 55" A80J....How easy do the feet come back off.
I've seen the videos and they snap into place super easy.

The plan is to put the feet on, have it standing up while I screw the Vesa bracket on, hang it, then hopefully uplug the feet just as easily.

Hi guys, just pulled the trigger on a 77” A80J. It should arrive on Thursday. I’m coming from a 55” LG C9 where I’ve had issues with the audio coming AFTER the video (as opposed to the common issue of audio coming BEFORE the video). This seems to be a well known issue with LG TV’s and their implementation of eARC. Does anyone have these types of audio sync issues with their Sony’s? I’ll be plugging my Sony 1080 receiver, PS5, and Series X into the TV. Fingers crossed it’ll be a problem of the past!

Thanks, is the Adv. Colour adjustment for gain or bias?

Just pulled the trigger on the 65", luckily my mate works at JL so I got it for £1,583. Can someone please reccomend a good wall mount?

So as stated in the 77” OLED price thread. I’ve pulled the trigger.

£2999 and free next day delivery.

It’s been a while since I bought a new TV. I’m coming from a 46” Sony edge lit LCD about 11ish years old.

TBH the old set has done well and still working flawlessly.

Has anyone here set up the A80J as a standard TV rather than a Smart TV? It may sound odd but we don’t have an internet connection at home. We do use mobile phones and on the odd occasion of an update to things, we use Hotspot Tethering to get the job done. So as you can guess, smart functions on the TV will not be used.

Main use is Blu-ray via and Oppo 203 and some very light gaming on PS4. I wanted to know if all the settings and functionality (apart from custom modes unlocked by calman for Bravia) are still accessible.

The 55" A80J....How easy do the feet come back off.
I've seen the videos and they snap into place super easy.

The plan is to put the feet on, have it standing up while I screw the Vesa bracket on, hang it, then hopefully uplug the feet just as easily.
The feet stick out about 15cm front and back, so surely when you hang it the feet will be in the way. I just left mine standing in the box whilst I put the vesa mount on. A bit wobbly but got away with it.

Hi guys, just pulled the trigger on a 77” A80J. It should arrive on Thursday. I’m coming from a 55” LG C9 where I’ve had issues with the audio coming AFTER the video (as opposed to the common issue of audio coming BEFORE the video). This seems to be a well known issue with LG TV’s and their implementation of eARC. Does anyone have these types of audio sync issues with their Sony’s? I’ll be plugging my Sony 1080 receiver, PS5, and Series X into the TV. Fingers crossed it’ll be a problem of the past!
I had 3 LG C1's but had to return them all for various reasons, the audio problem you mention being one of them.

Thankfully I've had no such issues with A80, lip sync is perfect.

Several days into 65" ownership, and apart from a foot issue am loving it with no problems. I tend to apps like Netflix or Disney+ from my Apple TV device though rather than the inbuilt ones, I'm not sure if there is an advantage or disadvantage to either approach? (My apple TV is set to the 50hz Dolby Vision output)

I haven't adjusted any picture settings yet, so will do some research on that next

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom