Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I have, and Hdmi I have set to enhanced (Dolby Vision) so that I can watch movie’s in do Dolby vision if they have that format.

Just ordered a 65” A80J.

It’s currently on sale at Hills for £1,595 + you get £100 PlayStation Store voucher.

Have you enabled enhanced on the HDMI inputs
yep. all works well with the virgin box passing atmos to the amp and showing on the display but not any source direct from the tv.

Last edited:
Hi i m considering a upgrade from LGOLEDB965 to either LGC177 or SonyA80J77.

My current setup

LGOLEDB965 + Nvidia Shield TV Pro + Denon 3700H + Kef 5.1 (SVS Sub)

Im into streaming movies and watching tv along with Sports - games are in my mind when my kids would consider playing - (2-3 yrs down the road)

I wanna upgrade the screen size or else i m happy with LGB965 - only issues HDMI CEC doesn't work properly with Nvidia shield TV + Denon 3700 and IPTV box (sometimes but most of the time it doesn't work). hard to switch off tv - it starts automatically

LGB9 is capable of passing DTS or high end audio over HDMI but i guess C1 doesn't . Since i have Home Theater it means a lot to me along with picture quality (read many post they say Sony A80J is better in Picture quality than LGC1.

Would i be able to get high end audio from C1 since Nvidia shield and my Denon AVR is capable of DTS or high end audio - or all three (including TV) should be capable of that then only it would work ( i m sorry if its a basic question).

I play movies through Nvidia Shield tv and Plex

Thanks

Not sure why the C1 needs to be DTS compatible if the shield is plugged into the Denon.

Can you double check model? That’s an old model number that is not HDR capable.

Sky Q 2TB boxes:
32B1xx (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)
32B0xx (no)

Sky Q 1TB UHD boxes:
32B203 (yes)
32B204 (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)

Sky Q 1TB boxes:
32C0xx (no)
32C1xx (no)

Sky Q Mini boxes:
32D0xx (no)
32D1xx (no)
So Sky sent me a new (?) 2TB UHD box, model 32B206. But the TV is still not picking up HDR. When watching an HDR broadcast it does not display the HDR logo in the top right of the screen in Picture Settings. And there is no visible switching over from SDR.

Fed up now 😒

So Sky sent me a new (?) 2TB UHD box, model 32B206. But the TV is still not picking up HDR. When watching an HDR broadcast it does not display the HDR logo in the top right of the screen in Picture Settings. And there is no visible switching over from SDR.

Fed up now 😒

Make sure the Sky box is set to 10 bit

Fed up now 😒
You can’t be setting it up correctly, as said earlier mine automatically switches to hdr if I am watching hdr programs.
how have you got it setup?

You can’t be setting it up correctly, as said earlier mine automatically switches to hdr if I am watching hdr programs.
how have you got it setup?
Sorry, false alarm, I think I downloaded the wrong format earlier when I tested it out, wally.

Back to the Future looking amazing in UHD HDR 😁

Sorry, false alarm, I think I downloaded the wrong format earlier when I tested it out, wally.

Back to the Future looking amazing in UHD HDR 😁
The times I have made simple mistakes , always check the setup system.
glad you are sorted.

So I took the plunge and replaced my 55A8 with a 65A80. Having a few issues though.

large vertical pinkish tinge to left side of screen

When i press settings on the remote it loads up Google TV page and not settings, if I exit and do it agin it loads up the settings menu. I cant see any user settings to change to stop that happening, very annoying. What am I doing wrong or is this just how it is?

I found the apps only setting but this disables the voice facility and has a permanent message advising how to turn the full Google TV experience back on, ignoring the reasons why people may wish to turn it off as it is not nearly as user friendly and user customisable as the A8 - this message tels me they clearly do not want people to just have apps only - probably as it turns of the very intrusive and annoying ads!

Pressing home on the A8 take you straight to the main page with the apps list highlighted, the new Google TV page on the A80 that loads up when pressing home defaults to the top requiring multiple key presses to actually get to the app I want. Also, play store seems to be designed to be hidden on the A80? Makes no sense when this is where the apps are for the TV.

I love Sony TV's but the quirks that they seem to design in as a "feature" and general software glitches and lack of decent support for a premium brand is so frustrating.

Any help appreciated!

When i press settings on the remote it loads up Google TV page and not settings, if I exit and do it agin it loads up the settings menu. I cant see any user settings to change to stop that happening, very annoying.
That happens to me too, at first I thought I had pressed the Home button by mistake. I can't recall it happening before I updated to the latest (Nov '21) software.

You would think this would have been picked up in QC prior to release? I don't know what on earth is going on with Sony and their quality control! I had a nightmare with faulty screens on my A8, eventually got one without fault. Now have a faulty screen on a brand new 65A80J

Attachments

• IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 213
Hi
i have a question, what is the difference between 77a80j and 77a84j and if all of the 77” uses an evo panel? Also are 77” get any brighter than smaller ones?
cheers

Evening all, I'm pleased to mention I've joined the OLED club. Upgraded from my 55X9005B to a 65A80 and I think I'm in love especially the literal night and day difference in watching movies.

Just in case this helps anyone out, I noticed some apps would have issues loading such as Bravia Core and Disney + and after trying a few things I disabled IPv6 and everything is working and loading instantaneous...

Yo! I've pulled the trigger on an a80j 65 arrives in a week or two. No worries.
But I'm redoing my decorating waiting for it to arrive and wondered if anyone could measure the vesa brackets etc and how high up they are from the top and bottom etc so I can play my bracket to be in the right place. Thanks in advance

That happens to me too, at first I thought I had pressed the Home button by mistake. I can't recall it happening before I updated to the latest (Nov '21) software.
Happening to me too🤔🤔🤔

You would think this would have been picked up in QC prior to release? I don't know what on earth is going on with Sony and their quality control! I had a nightmare with faulty screens on my A8, eventually got one without fault. Now have a faulty screen on a brand new 65A80J
Get that sent back ASAP.

It's because you've got your tree up in November!

Is there anyway to lock the picture settings, as my son keeps switching it to Vivid? :mad:

Lock you son and not the picture settings lol. :laugh:

Not sure how old he is but do tell him politely few times. Kids do understand these days (at least mines).

Might be being paranoid as I've not noticed any panel issues (no pink tint), but while playing a recorded HD movie through Sky in HDM1, on occasion parts of the background and other out of focus areas (back of a head or a dark suit, for example) get quite blocky or there's banding (not sure which is the right word - it's like the area is pulsing). Could this be the movie? Do I have the wrong picture settings for Sky?

As I don't have Sky Q, I'm assuming this is more the source than the TV, but it'd be good to hear people's thoughts.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom