Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I don't own a A80J yet but from the reviews I've seen, I saw there was a filmmaker low and high mode.
Ah, no, I think you might be thinking of Dolby Vision.

That has 3 modes: Dark, Bright and WTF, I mean Vivid.

I'm no expert but I go with what experts say and then have a little tweak with settings to what I think looks best but I do keep changing from time to time and also think I might get calibrated

My mistake. Just double checked the YouTube video I saw. It's not filmmaker mode - but there is a film mode setting under the picture settings. I guess that's more to do with motion handling for 24fps material.

Anybody know how the out of the box custom mode compares to the C1's filmmaker mode? I guess I'm looking for a pre-calibrated mode (where I don't have to change anything else) that will give the best accurate picture for movies.

Last edited:
My mistake. Just double checked the YouTube video I saw. It's not filmmaker mode - but there is a film mode setting under the picture settings. I guess that's more to do with motion handling for 24fps material.

Anybody know how the out of the box custom mode compares to the C1's filmmaker mode? I guess I'm looking for a pre-calibrated mode (where I don't have to change anything else) that will give the best accurate picture for movies.
Still custom.

On a Sony for as long as I can remember, custom is always the most accurate.

Still custom.

So when I get this tv, all I have to do is plug it in, turn it on and I'm good to go?

Just out of interest, is the custom mode basically an accuracy calibration mode done by Sony themselves?

So when I get this tv, all I have to do is plug it in, turn it on and I'm good to go?

Just out of interest, is the custom mode basically an accuracy calibration mode done by Sony themselves?
You'll end up tinkering with some settings, like motion, but for me Custom was fine colour wise. I do have i1Display Pro, but not even bothered.

Watching Liverpool beat man u I found turning up the reality creation made it look better sky's football is a bit blurry
Screenshot_20211025-232945.png

Still custom.

Heard Custom mode on ZD9 hard clips at 1000 nits. Maybe it's more accurate on later mods.

Got my 77a80 from Costco so still have plenty of time to decide if this is the right tv for me.
The dilemma I’m having.
1 Really like this tv I find the picture to be excellent, the menu system works really well and is easy to use.
2 The earc seems to just work with my receiver
3 Quite like the google tv platform.

On to the bits which are bothering me.
With my Xbox series x I can’t have 120hz and Dolby vision working I have to choose one or the other, I don’t get this why can you only have either or?
Been setting it to 120hz and it does seem very good, however I feel like I could be missing out.
Managed to get hold of a PS5, what do I do with this regarding the hdmi inputs.
Receiver is in 3 and Xbox in 4.
Why did they put earc on only one port which effectively limits you to one 120hz connection.

Just wish this had the hdmi options as the C1 then this would be perfect tv for me.
Dont know what to do, don’t want to lose the great picture but feel like I should future prof with the C1.

Anyone having the same dilemma ?

That's basically what I did, and I'm more than happy with the results. I haven't altered anything really.

Quick one, when watching the my5 app via the inbuilt app (gadget show) the TV constantly goes into sleep every 9 minutes. It doesn't do This with any other app. As if if it's not doing anything so wants to turn off?

Quick one, when watching the my5 app via the inbuilt app (gadget show) the TV constantly goes into sleep every 9 minutes. It doesn't do This with any other app. As if if it's not doing anything so wants to turn off?
To be fair, I go to sleep after 9 minutes of Channel 5, too

Does anyone use a full motion mount with their TV?

I sit about 11ft from TV and id like to bring this forward to 9 or even 8ft for watching films for that real cinema experience. Its wall mounted at the moment so i could just change the mount.

I dont have the option to move the sofa forward.

Just continuing my A80J/A84J research. What's the best picture mode for dark room movie viewing - is it still Custom or are either Cinema or IMAX Enhanced mode more accurate?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom