Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

If you have av receiver make sure it fits a lot of cabinets are to small

Shelves are 19/20 cm (H) and 64 cm (W) which should just about fit AVR. Unsure if the partitions (slabs) can be moved up or down to make space.

SIRIUS_1600_Hybrid_-_Product_Dimensions_1400x.jpg

Thanks a lot. That TV unit looks cool but it says Max Load Weight (kg): 25 which is quite strange. Emailed the site about that.
my father in law just installed lg c1 65" and it looks really solid, and like people said already max 25kg is for shelves inside

Sorry if this hinders your decision, rather then helps, but Richer Sounds currently have £250 off a few OLEDs with voucher code: 2021OLED250

I bought a A80J 65" with it today.
Yeah that's a great offer. They've had similar codes and like this one they never seem to work for me. I'm thinking of treating myself to the 55" A90J, worryingly there's no option to add to the basket anymore, stating 'Stock erratic - please call for info/pre-order'. At this rate I'll be waiting for the A80K/90K black Friday offers!

Trigger pulled on the 65"
😉😉😉

Hi can any one please play Alita: battle angel, Logan and deadpool 2 on the TVs disney plus app, I get a something went wrong message please contact Disney, other films play fine on the Disney plus TV app.

it’s just these 3 films that I can see so far that do not play, I have two A80j and both have the same issue.

Also these 3 films play fine on my Apple TV 4K, LG B8 and iOS disney plus app.

It could be just a Disney server or app issue, I have reported it to Disney.

Last edited:
Does anyone use bias lighting, I'm thinking it may look good

I did when I had an LCD TV, with an OLED it does the opposite of what you want, it doesn't improve contrast to me and makes the black aspect ratio bars more noticeable whereas with the LCD it increased contrast and reduced eye strain.

I did when I had an LCD TV, with an OLED it does the opposite of what you want, it doesn't improve contrast to me and makes the black aspect ratio bars more noticeable whereas with the LCD it increased contrast and reduced eye strain.

I agree. For me part of the appeal of OLED is being able to watch in a dark room with only the screen. I can't tolerate light from anything else. I had to put blue tack on the light on my modem which is next to my TV so I couldn't see the wee light flashing 😂

ok cheers. I will admit the fact i can watch a film in letterbox and the black bars dissapear rather than being grey and standing out like it did on the LCD is great, i watch mainly in the dark for films so ill leave this then if it will distract from that.

I agree. For me part of the appeal of OLED is being able to watch in a dark room with only the screen. I can't tolerate light from anything else. I had to put blue tack on the light on my modem which is next to my TV so I couldn't see the wee light flashing 😂
Haha, I hear that - I got my A80J Friday and yesterday evening was the first time I got annoyed at my Denon's front display and set it to off! :D

I am hearing aggressive ABL & ASBL due to lack of logo luminance detection feature. I am very sensitive to ASBL and it was driving me mad with the LG C8 which dimmed dark scenes even further. Thankfully none of it on my Panny GZ OLED.

Please can owners feedback on ABL and ASBL on this.

I did some testing yesterday with my set. Watching the football, i wanted to see if the screen dimmed as ive read a lot about it also but never seen it with my normal SDR/HDR/dovi settings and neither in games.

I put the TV into imax enhanced mode, brightness max, contrast 90 Gamma -2 peak luminance high, adv contrast high, colour 60 expert 1 and live colour high. It was very bright but for football i dont mind. I did see a dimming in the brighness it wasnt that noticable more so as i was looking for it but changing to and back in picture setting did show how the whites really brightened upped and dimmed. im not sure i would have noticed much if it hadnt have been for the white.

For reference, i normal have all additional settings off, brighness 20 peak luminence low or off for a dim lit room for SDR, change to expert 2 for HDR and the auto settings that also change.

A useful tip for a problem I've just realised (may already be known).

My Denon X3700H receiver was not converting a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos signal from the TV apps (via HDMI eARC) to my setup of 7.1.2.
Solution - Use Digital audio out set to Auto 2.

I did some testing yesterday with my set. Watching the football, i wanted to see if the screen dimmed as ive read a lot about it also but never seen it with my normal SDR/HDR/dovi settings and neither in games.

I put the TV into imax enhanced mode, brightness max, contrast 90 Gamma -2 peak luminance high, adv contrast high, colour 60 expert 1 and live colour high. It was very bright but for football i dont mind. I did see a dimming in the brighness it wasnt that noticable more so as i was looking for it but changing to and back in picture setting did show how the whites really brightened upped and dimmed. im not sure i would have noticed much if it hadnt have been for the white.

For reference, i normal have all additional settings off, brighness 20 peak luminence low or off for a dim lit room for SDR, change to expert 2 for HDR and the auto settings that also change.
It certainly seems to be Peak Luminance level that triggers the dimming when the scoreboard is present. . Now that Sky has added HDR to their 4k feed for footie I can see a slight dimming that was never present with the 4k only stream as soon as the TV is triggered into HDR mode.

I've been away for a week so I'm going to set up Custom for Pro 1 as the picture mode for football and reduce Peak Luminance to Medium (my normal setting) and see if that stops the dimming.

Hi all, bit of advice if possible, just got the 77a80j coming from a c7 oled.
couple of niggles that I need to iron out.
how does the screen saver work? On the LG after a couple of minutes it cut in and job done so I had no fear of leaving the tv if I paused Netflix etc.
I cant see an option to set a time for the screen saver to cut in and it never does. On my Nvidia shield I can set say 5 mins and it cuts in.

2nd thing that is annoying me is the picture constantly reverting back to vivid I set it to standard then say change input and it’s on vivid again, set to standard swop input and it’s back to vivid, is this normal?

Many thanks if anyone can help with this.

Last edited:
how does the screen saver work? On the LG after a couple of minutes it cut in and job done so I had no fear of leaving the tv if I paused Netflix etc.
I cant see an option to set a time for the screen saver to cut in and it never does. On my Nvidia shield I can set say 5 mins and it cuts in.

2nd thing that is annoying me is the picture constantly reverting back to vivid I set it to standard then say change input and it’s on vivid again, set to standard swop input and it’s back to vivid, is this normal?

Sony TVs you have to customise the picture settings per input/source on the TV. There is no 'apply picture settings to all inputs' option like on LG TVs.

Does anyone know if I plug in a ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter to the USB input on the back panel (to get speeds above 100mbps) can I still cast content from my phone to the tv? Since the wifi will need to be turned off on the TV for the adapter to work, Im not sure if my phone or laptop would be able to see the TV on the network for casting. Any help would be appreciated!

Found out why the tv keep going back to vivid, my picture reset mode was on, something to do with retail mode settings.
Now I can understand why it was doing it was driving me mad would reset every 5mins to vivid.

last problem anyone manage to get the screen saver to cut in automatically, I can turn it on in ambient mode but if I leave the tv on the home page it just will keep displaying the Home Screen Even after 30mins plus.

last problem anyone manage to get the screen saver to cut in automatically, I can turn it on in ambient mode but if I leave the tv on the home page it just will keep displaying the Home Screen Even after 30mins plus.

Pressing back from the home screen starts Ambient Mode. Not sure if it can be triggered automatically elsewhere.
Hope this helps you.

Pressing back from the home screen starts Ambient Mode. Not sure if it can be triggered automatically elsewhere.
Hope this helps you.
Thank you, did not know this.

Hi can any one please play Alita: battle angel, Logan and deadpool 2 on the TVs disney plus app, I get a something went wrong message please contact Disney, other films play fine on the Disney plus TV app.

it’s just these 3 films that I can see so far that do not play, I have two A80j and both have the same issue.

It could be just a Disney server or app issue, I have reported it to Disne

It could be just a Disney server or app issue, I have reported it to Disney.
Can anyone test this please, surely someone must have disney plus here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom