Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hey
At what point do you see this in COD? Maybe someone can also check to see whether they can reproduce it.

Do you see the blotch at any other time when you aren't playing COD?
When I die in cod or mission goes black. Only other time on that YouTube video to test grey. I have been trying to replicate the issue in other actual content but i cannot so far.

This is the video I used and I see the issue at 26 seconds in.

And in a room with lights you’d never even know it was there

I'd get a replacement if you're noticing it. Those dark areas are apparently meant to fade in the first day or so I think. Ask the people you bought it from maybe you have to run a pixel refresher.
I ran refresh. Did nothing. It’s been 14 days. I’m going to call geek squad and see if they cover this

Very close to pulling the trigger on 77A80J.

Hey

When I die in cod or mission goes black. Only other time on that YouTube video to test grey. I have been trying to replicate the issue in other actual content but i cannot so far.

My experience of this sort of thing is that if the only other time you see it is when running test patterns then, assuming you don't sit down for a night of test pattern watching is to try forget about it.
I have almost some dse like effect on F1 game, never seen it on anything else. But I did the same test you did, saw nothing bad enough so walked away from doing that stuff.
I'm only 50% away from pointing my eyes in unnatural places rather than watching and enjoying the content, but the quicker you try the happier you will be.

My concern was/is swap for another and it's worse.....

I definitely have a darker area in the bottom left, but unless I'm on a grey menu it's invisible, even then I have to look for it, so I personally decided nothings perfect, perfect, but I'm happy enough.....

Please can someone recommend an alternate table top stand for the 77A80J? Has to be raised about 10 cm from the top of the stand. I don't like this feet type stands and my Q950A soundbar won't fit between the legs.

Getting close to Black Friday now, think I’m gonna hold on. Although there’ll probably be no stock knowing my luck.

Same dilemma here but we have been warned about shortage of electrical goods which means we may not see massive discounts on high end TVs around Black Friday but I could be wrong

I was in Curry's looking at it again. The 65 since they don't have the 77 on the Display. I love the feel of the new remote even though its not got the backlight. Much nicer to hold than the chunky one that came with my ZF9. Definitely think it's happening come Back Friday. In the meantime I need to turn on the charm and see if my boss will authorise more overtime :laugh:

I couldn't find alternate 300 x 300 stand for the 77A80J. Most of them support up to to 65" TVs only.

Hey

I haven't noticed anything on COD myself, so for my sins I ran the uniformity check and could see some slight dark areas on the far left and right handsides, but no patch like you have.
Like others have said, if you don't see it during normal viewing, then it's best not to go looking for it 😊

I guess it depends on whether you want to run the risk and see if you can swap it for another and hope the screen is better and not worse.

Can someone who is using the A80J or A84J with google TV while watching satelite or cable tv with the tuner in the tv, check to see if the program REMINDER system has the REPEAT capability to remind for daily or weekly etc , please.
Thx for any info.

Getting close to Black Friday now, think I’m gonna hold on. Although there’ll probably be no stock knowing my luck.
Sorry if this hinders your decision, rather then helps, but Richer Sounds currently have £250 off a few OLEDs with voucher code: 2021OLED250

I bought a A80J 65" with it today.

Guys,
Is it ok to cover the A80J when it's on Standby for few hours? i have to do so as there is construction work going on around my place & a lot of dust gathers. Dunno if this Tv gets warm when it's on standby? Unplugging it might interrupt the Compensation Cycles it runs when its powered off. Any Inputs?

Thanks.

What are peoples thoughts on turning the power off at the socket eveynight? /looking at doing some energy savings and all my av stuff is just left on standby. I know that the TV will run a refresh when its been on for so long but is there any indicator to say its running / comlete?

I supposose i could just plug this into the socket direct and turn everything else off.

Can I get your thoughts on the uneven patches in the photos below? Tbh I don't really see the color blobs when watching real content but the test results are pretty ugly at 1% gray, with the patches still noticeable at 5% and 10%, and just about disappearing at 12.5%.

Is this typical, or worse than usual? What are the odds I would get a better panel in an exchange?

Gray level 1%.jpg
Gray level 5%.jpg
Gray level 10%.jpg
Gray level 12.5%.jpg

Is anybody experiencing any problems with the "FreeView Play" EPG on this set please?
I currently have an LG B9 which I've enjoyed but am getting cheesed off with the EPG being particularly slow to populate and respond. It's doing my head in.....
Ready to buy a 65" AJ80 but hoping I don't get the same problem.
Many thanks

I have an A8 and its EPG is fine ithas Android TV OS but It does not let you set multiple reminders for daily or weekly etc. And i am told the GoogleTV has the same problem.

Thanks guys. Problem is the stand depth is 38 cm. TV unit depth is 45 cm which means I just got 7 cm for the soundbar which is not sufficient. This is slowly becoming a deal-breaker for me. I don't want to wall mount. It's extremely hard getting a TV stand that has a depth of 55 cm. Any better suggestions?

Thanks guys. Problem is the stand depth is 38 cm. TV unit depth is 45 cm which means I just got 7 cm for the soundbar which is not sufficient. This is slowly becoming a deal-breaker for me. I don't want to wall mount. It's extremely hard getting a TV stand that has a depth of 55 cm. Any better suggestions?
Amazon product ASIN B08117X7DW
This one is 33cm depth

Which should leave you with 14cm for soundbar

Or get yourself new TV unit

Amazon product ASIN B08117X7DW
This one is 33cm depth

Which should leave you with 14cm for soundbar

Or get yourself new TV unit

Thanks a lot. That TV unit looks cool but it says Max Load Weight (kg): 25 which is quite strange. Emailed the site about that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom