Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

The power button behind the A80J, can that be used to turn off the Master power from the tv?
I mean get it off from standby like killing the main power?

Thanks.

The power button behind the A80J, can that be used to turn off the Master power from the tv?
I mean get it off from standby like killing the main power?

Thanks.
I think you will find that it works in the same way as when you use the power button on the remote.

It does not completely turn off the TV, like when you unplug it.

I think you will find that it works in the same way as when you use the power button on the remote.

It does not completely turn off the TV, like when you unplug it.
Thanks for the reply as my old Sony LCD/LED use to kill the power completely when switching off from the power button on the tv itself. Guess Sony has changed that design now.

Thanks.

Good question. I noticed dimming on FIFA last night, but what I will say is that it’s still much better than the LG G1 I had.

The LG’s are supposedly the best TV’s for gaming but I disagree.

Adding the motion settings I needed for FIFA made the LG unplayable it was so dark.

With the Sony motion settings set to the highest & the dimming, it’s still 10 x brighter than the LG
Wait. Why did motion make your tv dim? Didn’t you just put it in game mode or no?

yes it automatically goes in to game mode on the LG and they even have a special game mode picture settings pop up.

In that pop up is an option for motion, I think it’s off, low, medium, high.

The higher the setting the higher the Black Frame Insertion, so made the picture really dark. Unfortunately FIFA doesn’t have its own picture setting in the game, so it was impossible to make it any brighter.

I needed it on high for FIFA, as on anything less there was loads of blur every time the ball or players moved fast across the screen.

I’ve put the Sony motion on the highest setting when playing FIFA and although you see a slight change in brightness I’m still left with a much brighter image than on the LG

Maybe a strange question, but does anyone see any issue in putting an Xbox Series S under the TV?

With the feet in "soundbar" position it fits under perfectly, as it's same height as my current X900F at 72mm and that's how I have it now.

It does kick out a bit of heat, so I'm not sure if it's dangerous to the panel.

Planning to buy 77A80J. Anyone knows the distance between the 2 stands and length of each stand? Wondering if this will my Q950A soundbar.

1634163722936.png

1634163746029.png

Planning to buy 77A80J. Anyone knows the distance between the 2 stands and length of each stand? Wondering if this will my Q950A soundbar.

Noticed a weird blotch while playing COD the other night. I have only seen the blotch in that specific game. Well I ran test on my A80 and the issue does repeat in the test. Is this normal break in period stuff? The actual return date is tomorrow

8CFBB8DE-5FD2-4169-9F74-1CE6B4F8AC1A.png

Noticed a weird blotch while playing COD the other night. I have only seen the blotch in that specific game. Well I ran test on my A80 and the issue does repeat in the test. Is this normal break in period stuff? The actual return date is tomorrow

View attachment 1585850
At what point do you see this in COD? Maybe someone can also check to see whether they can reproduce it.

Do you see the blotch at any other time when you aren't playing COD?

I would think it would be ok. Best thing to do would be to try it under there and feel how hot the TV gets if it’s roasting then probably not a great idea.

Maybe a strange question, but does anyone see any issue in putting an Xbox Series S under the TV?

With the feet in "soundbar" position it fits under perfectly, as it's same height as my current X900F at 72mm and that's how I have it now.

It does kick out a bit of heat, so I'm not sure if it's dangerous to the panel.
I would think it would be ok. Best thing to do would be to try it under there and feel how hot the TV gets if it’s roasting then probably not a great idea.

Yeah, thanks - I've gone off the idea I think.

The extra heat can't be good and with some TV's even having heatsinks there's a reason it's good to keep heat away.

65" A80J ordered, just couldn't get past the image quality over the C1, and I like Google TV.

I do game, but not enough to penalise the Sony for it - plus I've only got a Series S, but I'd say I'm 80/20 movies to gaming, so half the C1 features will be lost on me.

If you can wait 3-4 weeks you'd probably get a few hundred quid off it and then buy it from the likes of Richer Sounds or John Lewis who will refund you the difference if it gets a lower price on Black Friday.

They start discounting a couple of weeks before it.

I couldn't wait any longer and bagged a 2020 Sony A8 for a good price as, like you, the gaming features are lost on me and the A8 will be a huge step up from my XE9305, it also gets slightly brighter than the 2021 models without the EVO panel.

If you can wait 3-4 weeks you'd probably get a few hundred quid off it and then buy it from the likes of Richer Sounds or John Lewis who will refund you the difference if it gets a lower price on Black Friday.

They start discounting a couple of weeks before it.
Richer Sounds have £250 off today with coupon code 2021OLED250 - not sure how long it lasts, tho.

Cost me £1948.95 delivered.

View attachment 1585850
I'd get a replacement if you're noticing it. Those dark areas are apparently meant to fade in the first day or so I think. Ask the people you bought it from maybe you have to run a pixel refresher.

Richer Sounds have £250 off today with coupon code 2021OLED250 - not sure how long it lasts, tho.

Cost me £1948.95 delivered.

I think, and it's only an opinion, they're doing that so they don't have to officially discount the price now and can keep it high so it gets a larger "discount" for Black Friday.
If they knock £250 off it now and then £250 off it on BF, it's only a £250 discount. If they use a voucher now, then on BF it's a £500 discount.

65" A80J ordered, just couldn't get past the image quality over the C1, and I like Google TV.

I do game, but not enough to penalise the Sony for it - plus I've only got a Series S, but I'd say I'm 80/20 movies to gaming, so half the C1 features will be lost on me.
What do you game on?

Sony are bringing out new gaming updates geared towards the PS5, so I’m over the moon! VRR is coming too.

Even if they didn’t, don’t think this TV is bad for gaming. All the reviews say the LG is the TV to have for gaming because it has 4 x 2.1 VRR etc.. but I actually prefer the Sony for using my ps5 over the LG G1 any day.

I think, and it's only an opinion, they're doing that so they don't have to officially discount the price now and can keep it high so it gets a larger "discount" for Black Friday.
If they knock £250 off it now and then £250 off it on BF, it's only a £250 discount. If they use a voucher now, then on BF it's a £500 discount.
I suspect the Black Friday will be same as this voucher, at £250 - for the very reason you said.

I can't see a £500 discount in total for it on Black Friday, I could be wrong tho.
What do you game on?

Sony are bringing out new gaming updates geared towards the PS5, so I’m over the moon! VRR is coming too.

Even if they didn’t, don’t think this TV is bad for gaming. All the reviews say the LG is the TV to have for gaming because it has 4 x 2.1 VRR etc.. but I actually prefer the Sony for using my ps5 over the LG G1 any day.
Switch and Xbox Series S, and also NVidia Shield for retro stuff with RetroArch.

Does GOOGLETV have the same problem as AndroidTV that you Can NOT program multiple REMINDERS?? Like every week or monday thru friday, etc??

Does GOOGLETV have the same problem as AndroidTV that you Can NOT program multiple REMINDERS?? Like every week or monday thru friday, etc??
I've no idea to be honest; never use it for that. Sorry.

I mainly want Google TV as it's what I'm used to, plus I can have SmartTube and SendFilesToMy TV etc.

View attachment 1585850
I had a weird triangle appear on my screen after a while. Ran a screen refresh and it sorted itself out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom