Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

What type of mount do you want.

Flush fitting type (It won't be completely flush as the TV isn't designed like that but some mounts fit closer to the wall than others.)
Tilting, if the TV is going to be mounted higher than ideal.
Fully articulating so that it can pull out, tilt and swing?

It's no big deal at this moment in time as I have managed to solve my Apple TV 4k lip sync issue with some adjustment on my soundbar.

However, is anyone here able to get Atmos from the Apple TV app to soundbar? Thanks

If you go to the brightness section in the settings all of those things can change the brightness e.g. gamma, hdr tone mapping, peak luminance etc. I'd say there's 5 or 6 settings when it comes to brightness.
Absolutely, not complaining, just wondering as there's an Extra setting on the LG.

Absolutely, not complaining, just wondering as there's an Extra setting on the LG.
It's because you said one tv has more settings for this so I gave an example of 5 settings vs 2 that you mentioned lol. Maybe LG has another 4 or 5 settings too I wouldn't know 🤷

What type of mount do you want.

Flush fitting type (It won't be completely flush as the TV isn't designed like that but some mounts fit closer to the wall than others.)
Tilting, if the TV is going to be mounted higher than ideal.
Fully articulating so that it can pull out, tilt and swing?
i want something that I can easily access the ports.

Hi! I would start thanking all of you for the information I found on the forum and the help you gave me in making the decision of buying a 77 A80j.

Now with the shiny tv in my hands, I waited a few days but had to do a uniformity test.

Now the panel seems a little all over the place between 0 and 12.5% black level.
But that could be expected, it’s a lottery after all.

I have a question though: at 0,0,0 RGB, total black, the panel is still cloudy and not uniform at all. Is that normal? Aren’t oled a supposed to get total black when required?

I will attach a photo of 1%, 0% my camera phone does a poor job recording it but the difference is little compared with 1%.

Thank you again!

Attachments

• 4C769E80-2D3F-4ADD-930B-39098A22F27F.jpeg
    4C769E80-2D3F-4ADD-930B-39098A22F27F.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 242
Hi! I would start thanking all of you for the information I found on the forum and the help you gave me in making the decision of buying a 77 A80j.

Now with the shiny tv in my hands, I waited a few days but had to do a uniformity test.

Now the panel seems a little all over the place between 0 and 12.5% black level.
But that could be expected, it’s a lottery after all.

I have a question though: at 0,0,0 RGB, total black, the panel is still cloudy and not uniform at all. Is that normal? Aren’t oled a supposed to get total black when required?

I will attach a photo of 1%, 0% my camera phone does a poor job recording it but the difference is little compared with 1%.

Thank you again!
What does a 5% black screen look like. This is mine and it’s not perfect but I don’t see anything in normal viewing. If you look for problems you’ll get them. Do you see it while watching movie or sports etc!!?

Attachments

• D22AA8EE-F993-40F1-B8E2-731D8B06A03E.jpeg
    D22AA8EE-F993-40F1-B8E2-731D8B06A03E.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 233
Just had my A80J calibrated by canary Jules. Picture is absolutely fabulous well worth the fee, went through all the picture settings and used a disc at the end to show the difference in picture quality for all formats.if you are sitting on the fence get it done.

Just had my A80J calibrated by canary Jules. Picture is absolutely fabulous well worth the fee, went through all the picture settings and used a disc at the end to show the difference in picture quality for all formats.if you are sitting on the fence get it done.
What was the cost of it?

Go to displaycalibration.co.uk all the info is there.

I only thought getting the TV calibrated meant that the colours are spot on, is this not correct?
Not knocking your spend, you are obviously very happy with the results.....

Can anyone explain how film mode works?

Ps changed my panel, the distorted screen was too much of an annoyance. New one is perfectly acceptable.

Hopefully that's me all set. Big up richer sounds for the excellent service.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain how film mode works?

Ps changed my panel, the distorted screen was too much of an annoyance. New one is perfectly acceptable.

Hopefully that's me all set. Big up richer sounds for the excellent service.
Glad you've got it sorted.

What was your take on the football in the end? Is the motion better that the LG?

Cheers

Does anyone have their stand in the soundbar position? I think I can figure this out from spec sheets but it’d be helpful if someone could confirm (a) the clearance between the bottom of the actual screen (ignoring the bezel) and whatever the TV is resting on and (b) how far the legs extend in front of the TV. My Sonos Arc is a decent soundbar but a big lump of a thing. Ta.

Glad you've got it sorted.

What was your take on the football in the end? Is the motion better that the LG?

Cheers
There's pros and cons generally.
+ Side:
Slightly better motion all round, a bit more clarity with its motion I think. Judders about the same but feels less eye straining.
Better PQ settings, thus easier calibration.
Simple to work TV.
Better PQ in SD.
Sound is better.

- side:
Gaming a bit worse for features
Panel front worse than the LG, I don't hate it, but I think the glass like front on the LG is better, mainly because in the day the panel on the Sony tends to grey out the black and I have a bright room.
Not quite as sexy in terms of the remote and OS, home screen dull as is the TV art screen savers, although the I found the LG quite glitchy in its operation.
The odd bit of IR.

Unfortunately I can't check iPlayer on it....yet. did play bt on you tube for champions League highlights and they were not up to much. Not sure of the quality of by you tube channel, I seemed to be getting a lot of noise.

Does anyone have their stand in the soundbar position? I think I can figure this out from spec sheets but it’d be helpful if someone could confirm (a) the clearance between the bottom of the actual screen (ignoring the bezel) and whatever the TV is resting on and (b) how far the legs extend in front of the TV. My Sonos Arc is a decent soundbar but a big lump of a thing. Ta.
I don't know what colour your media unit is but you could use an Ikea Lack shelf to raise the TV.

I recently bought one for my LG C1. It's 5cm tall and the door bump I use as feet, add another 2cm. This is enough for my TV panel and stand to fully clear the soundbar.

Attachments

• 1EF6DF25-4CE5-4BDC-9C09-92E8A6725CEF.jpeg
    1EF6DF25-4CE5-4BDC-9C09-92E8A6725CEF.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 170
  • AD733C10-D78A-4E44-B35A-727A89FB6443.jpeg
    AD733C10-D78A-4E44-B35A-727A89FB6443.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 163
Panel front worse than the LG, I don't hate it, but I think the glass like front on the LG is better, mainly because in the day the panel on the Sony tends to grey out the black and I have a bright room.

Yeah, i wish i had checked it out in store before because the matte screen is bothering me a little.

Compared to the AG9 i once had i think this tv is an improvement when it comes to brightness in HDR + clearly better near black but the matte display and the fact that i notice quite a bit of grid is a bummer.

Yeah, i wish i had checked it out in store before because the matte screen is bothering me a little.

Compared to the AG9 i once had i think this tv is an improvement when it comes to brightness in HDR + clearly better near black but the matte display and the fact that i notice quite a bit of grid is a bummer.
I noticed more grid on the c1. If I'm honest I think the value of the TV is too much, as is the c1. Both those sets do funny things with the grass when watching football, patches of grass go all fuzzy, others areas don't. Not sure what that's about. Doesn't seem possible to dial it out and SD is worse than my 20year old TV. I don't see a lot of SD but it's still widely available.
Panning shots/judder dont seem any better than ever before either, maybe worse with the improved clarity. I think this is a format issue though, never the less isn't it about time this was rectified?

But I wanted the new hdmi 2.1 features so you sort of end up stuck.

Both are nice sets, but overpriced. Imo, but I'm 45 now though, eye sight is getting worse so this is probably my last big buy for a TV..... ideally about £800 should be enough. I'm not really feeling like I'm far enough away from a lower price TV. That said I've not looked at any cheap sets.

Reviews said I had a choice of two if going oled....so here we are. Maybe I will grow to love it. Maybe I've got used to it's superior quality already!

Its normally crap dull weather in the UK anyway so we should get out when it's sunny, not watch the TV!

Last edited:
There's pros and cons generally.
+ Side:
Slightly better motion all round, a bit more clarity with its motion I think. Judders about the same but feels less eye straining.
Better PQ settings, thus easier calibration.
Simple to work TV.
Better PQ in SD.
Sound is better.

- side:
Gaming a bit worse for features
Not quite as sexy in terms of the remote and OS, home screen dull as is the TV art screen savers, although the I found the LG quite glitchy in its operation.
The odd bit of IR.

Unfortunately I can't check iPlayer on it....yet. did play bt on you tube for champions League highlights and they were not up to much. Not sure of the quality of by you tube channel, I seemed to be getting a lot of noise.
It's good to see your positives outweigh your negatives.

It's funny, the first thing my daughter said about the new tv was, "why is the screen grey?" It wasn't what I wanted to hear, as it was something that I had noticed the moment I got it out, however it only really shows up when the screen is off, so no big deal deal for me.
Actually, comparing it to my last tv Sony XF9005, I actually think this screen isn't as reflective. The a80 may not be as black when it's off, but it's something I am getting used to (reminds me of the Plasma screen).

Otherwise at present I am happy with the TV overall and enjoying the black bars without any blooming, as well as the better viewing angles over the XF. I still haven't had the chance to play too much with the settings and may still need to find a sweet spot for most films, without giving the picture that soap opera look.
I am also happy with the brightness of the white's, especially with Dolby Vision and ok it may not have the blow your retina's out of the XF whites, but I am more than happy with the brightness aspect.

One area I am still not 100% convinced with, is the 120hz, I thought I would see a massive difference, but from what I have seen so far, I am struggling to see any real advantage!? Maybe I too have crap eyesight! I have tried flicking between the two settings and I tell myself it feels smoother, but is it?........I need to play some more COD to verify.

I haven't seen anymore IR since the first sighting, so that's a good thing. I have tried to be a little more careful in relation to pausing the tv etc, so once I have got used to that, then I think it will help.

Am I pleased I went from the XF to the A80, yes definitely. Although don't get me wrong, the XF is still a very good tv and is being used in another room, so it hasn't been wasted.

Thanks for you responses guys. The G1 is packed up and ready to go back. I wansnt overly impressed with it and then it started turning off and on again repeatedly, so gave my a reason to send it back.

I found the glossy screen on the G1 really reflective! Mine is also in a well lit room with Bi-folds and a skylight.

The matte screen is putting me off based on your feedback and the fact it would be in a bright room. Although winter and English weather means it’s dark more than light.

I was hoping motion would be better than you report. I could not get the benefits of the Evo panel on the G1 because I had to add in so much BFI that just made the picture too dark.

Motion is so important to me and I’ve heard Sony is the best motion you can get, so maybe I’ll have to just settle with it.

Gaming wise I know you lose some features, but I have a PS5 and I don’t think the PS5 even has those features yet.

Just wish £1,500-£2,000 got you a perfect TV, but it seems even the more expensive sets are not perfect. You have to choose what you’re willing to loose and gain.

Anyway I’ll wait for JL to confirm the refund and then go have another look at them again in person.

I’m tempted to go Panasonic again, but don’t think I can stretch to the JZ1500 price.

The only other option could be the Phillips 806, but I’ve not seen many reviews on that yet.

In answer to both those last two posts.

In the day, in dark areas I do notice the matte screen, but to be honest im doing any serious tv watching in the day, it doesn't show up if a colour is on screen. The reflection is not clear like a mirror, but smudged out and spread further. Once its remotely dull outside its not relevant, But I would say with an extreme reflection the glass like front holds the majority of the picture better but then the reflection is crystal clear. Im not concerned so much when its off (after I got a less flexed panel).

yeh the ps5 doesnt have those features, but im confident they will come on the ps5 and tv, hopefully they wont be borked. Same with Iplayer.

I think both the C1 and A80 are bright enough, apart from the home menu on the A80j, that seems really dull, but again, does it matter?

The problem with the motion aspect is its hard for me to say yes, go for it with the A80j, all I can say is that its supposed to be the best, I think its better than the C1, but difficult to describe why.

Im happy with the A80j, do I think its amazing, no, its a good set and it feels like good value at £1000. Problem was I paid £1400 but some will have paid a lot more.

The 806 does look an interesting choice........ but I think ive got the right tv. I just expected a bit more....

In answer to both those last two posts.

In the day, in dark areas I do notice the matte screen, but to be honest im doing any serious tv watching in the day, it doesn't show up if a colour is on screen. The reflection is not clear like a mirror, but smudged out and spread further. Once its remotely dull outside its not relevant, But I would say with an extreme reflection the glass like front holds the majority of the picture better but then the reflection is crystal clear. Im not concerned so much when its off (after I got a less flexed panel).

yeh the ps5 doesnt have those features, but im confident they will come on the ps5 and tv, hopefully they wont be borked. Same with Iplayer.

I think both the C1 and A80 are bright enough, apart from the home menu on the A80j, that seems really dull, but again, does it matter?

The problem with the motion aspect is its hard for me to say yes, go for it with the A80j, all I can say is that its supposed to be the best, I think its better than the C1, but difficult to describe why.

Im happy with the A80j, do I think its amazing, no, its a good set and it feels like good value at £1000. Problem was I paid £1400 but some will have paid a lot more.

The 806 does look an interesting choice........ but I think ive got the right tv. I just expected a bit more....
Cheers again.

I know it’s impossible to tell me what I’ll think or see when it comes to motion, but it’s good to hear others opinions.

I’m waiting for Vincent’s review of the 806, he’s apparently working on it. It’s wether I can cope with no TV in that room until I can read/hear more about it. (I do have other TV’s)

It's good to see your positives outweigh your negatives.

It's funny, the first thing my daughter said about the new tv was, "why is the screen grey?" It wasn't what I wanted to hear, as it was something that I had noticed the moment I got it out, however it only really shows up when the screen is off, so no big deal deal for me.
Actually, comparing it to my last tv Sony XF9005, I actually think this screen isn't as reflective. The a80 may not be as black when it's off, but it's something I am getting used to (reminds me of the Plasma screen).

Otherwise at present I am happy with the TV overall and enjoying the black bars without any blooming, as well as the better viewing angles over the XF. I still haven't had the chance to play too much with the settings and may still need to find a sweet spot for most films, without giving the picture that soap opera look.
I am also happy with the brightness of the white's, especially with Dolby Vision and ok it may not have the blow your retina's out of the XF whites, but I am more than happy with the brightness aspect.

One area I am still not 100% convinced with, is the 120hz, I thought I would see a massive difference, but from what I have seen so far, I am struggling to see any real advantage!? Maybe I too have crap eyesight! I have tried flicking between the two settings and I tell myself it feels smoother, but is it?........I need to play some more COD to verify.

I haven't seen anymore IR since the first sighting, so that's a good thing. I have tried to be a little more careful in relation to pausing the tv etc, so once I have got used to that, then I think it will help.

Am I pleased I went from the XF to the A80, yes definitely. Although don't get me wrong, the XF is still a very good tv and is being used in another room, so it hasn't been wasted.
I have a question, on Channel 4 hd, do you have a little white line in the corner, left to right about 3cm long....as if the C4 hd picture is not full screen? I dont have this on any other channel. even C4 SD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom